1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I agree with you whole heartedly I’m sorry if my message came off offensive to admins. In a later post I explained how this admin in particular is a friend of mine and was in emotional upheaval at what she is being asked to do. We understand it’s a supply issue. I just wish that’s how it would be stated as opposed to you’ll be fine go on in.

2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I can only speak for my hospital. They did not reprimand me when I didn’t listen for the first couple of nights. They have protocol in line with what I believe in now. I’m not sure if they will reprimand me in the future if I go against policy but if they do I don’t care. They’re not the ones who have to stay alive for my family. I am.

3. GIGO

GIGO Member

This got good reviews.
    https://www.mirasafety.com/products/mira-safety-haz-suit-hazmat-suit

Surprisingly this video came out before corona.

FrontRunner, Ubiquitin and ico4498 like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hell yeah. Stay safe man. You are appreciated more than you know.

5. Nook

Nook Member

No, the CCP is and has been evil.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

More questions that my paranoid-self thinks while eating.....

- your hands have close proximity to your face-nose while eating (even without touching)--- can you inhale corona in just from that?
    - if you touch your mouth-nose region while eating, can you inhale the virus in afterwards?
    - once the virus is on your face, can it MOVE (crawl) closer to your mouth/nose?

No expert/non-expert has suggested or considered this specifically while speaking about eating.

Did they not speak on it because it's so obviously not a factor.. OR, did they not consider it?

This virus is supposedly VERY contagious, so seems it deserves mention.

#5266 Houstunna, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  7. Exiled

Exiled Member

Needlessly ,we look like minions here, to the administration ,its Protect Your@$$ policy, if you feel unsafe, contact the ACP, tons of better positions out there

RayRay10, CCity Zero, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. GIGO

GIGO Member

King Cheetah's post #2634 on page 132

The neuroinvasive potential of SARS-CoV2 may play a role in the respiratory failure of COVID-19 patients.
    The most characteristic symptom of patients with COVID-19 is respiratory distress, and most of the patients admitted to the intensive care could not breathe spontaneously. Additionally, some patients with COVID-19 also showed neurologic signs, such as headache, nausea, and vomiting. Increasing evidence shows that coronaviruses are not always confined to the respiratory tract and that they may also invade the central nervous system inducing neurological diseases.

The infection of SARS-CoV has been reported in the brains from both patients and experimental animals, where the brainstem was heavily infected. Furthermore, some coronaviruses have been demonstrated able to spread via a synapse-connected route to the medullary cardiorespiratory center from the mechanoreceptors and chemoreceptors in the lung and lower respiratory airways. Considering the high similarity between SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV2, it remains to make clear whether the potential invasion of SARS-CoV2 is partially responsible for the acute respiratory failure of patients with COVID-19. Awareness of this may have a guiding significance for the prevention and treatment of the SARS-CoV-2-induced respiratory failure.​

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  9. GIGO

GIGO Member

Washing your hands before eating should help greatly, I guess.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Stay safe! I'd do the same thing in that situation, I have been telling close friends in the health field the same thing you're stating, basically protect yourself and family.

RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

full article

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._the_respiratory_failure_of_COVID-19_patients

very scary. its possib;e this crap can get just in your brain and be the reason people just fall off a cliff with inability to breathe

#5271 Bandwagoner, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Oh - your message was fine. I can't imagine the stress and decisions you must be dealing with. I was just trying to clarify why the "ignore the admin" strategy isn't really viable in the bigger picture.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I've been thinking on masks, if n95's don't come back in stock soon enough for people on the Frontline would a p95 work?

I'm also not looking to buy masks, but since it filters out 95% still from what I've read a p95 would work if used correctly. I have a few p95's with plenty of life left. I've offered them up for free to some people in need (more so than me) but wanted more confirmation.

Like assuming the person is fitted/tight seal/proper seal tests/light training would they be pretty decent if in a bad cluster (assuming they know proper protocols)? I've seen mixed info, but basically all pointing to "yes, they'll work", but just didn't want to have someone use them if I missed a reason and it makes it worse for them. Thanks in advance

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That guy sounds very sensible in all of this. I don't think there's any chance of zero transmission.

We have e.coli growing in some number all around our house. You only get that when dookie launches from the air or it's transmitted from solid to solid (tp shortage wut?).

I mentioned in this thread that viruses don't survive in your gut. I was wrong. For example, you can get Hep A if the food preparer gets infected blood on the food. The reason why there aren't more outbreaks of Hep A is because most restaurants follow or try to follow the safety guidelines (knock on woord). Covid doesn't have this behavior and is transmitted differently than Hepatitis viruses...but it isn't proven. You can take it as glass mostly half full, or glass mostly on the off chance, half empty. Unfortunately, hypotheses makes up the bulkwark of science in this matter....

The latest tidbit I learned is to cover your toilet before flushing because Covid can be found in poop and flushing can launch it in aerosol form. A literal shitstorm.

So the only way to survive is to relax and use sensible tips on not increasing the chance of transmission by assuming the food and container can be tainted. Take the chance that you'll most likely won't be one of the 0.0000001% of the lucky ones who did do everything they could responsibly follow.

Enjoy your food because when our ancestors survived 10 million years, it wasn't one bit as tasty or filling. I can guarantee it was a helluva lot dirtier.

#5274 Invisible Fan, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Houstunna likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Right, but if the virus is on the food.

The mouth has two pipes -- respiratory and digestive.

It's natural to inhale before biting or a sipping.
    If true, touching your ear won't help.

The canal goes straight to the brain.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wtf...Infected brains??

I read earlier about garlic being the cure.

Maybe I should invest in silver stakes just in case people start growing hair all over their body and a huge pair of fangs.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Doesn't make sense we're just now hearing on TV that breathing and talking can spread the virus when.....

1) articles and posters said it was possible over two and a half weeks ago.
    2) the flu can be spread the same way too.

FrontRunner likes this.
  18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

That would make sense to me especially if people aren't getting oxygen circulating through their body properly because of breathing issues. Less oxygen to the brain, probably means an increased likelihood of mental impairment.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

garlic can cause third degree burns. it wasn't too long ago there was a warning put out because women who followed natural cures and the like were giving themselves such injuries when treating vaginal infections.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Take THAT, Patriot haters !!

Oh wait.. that's me.

This topic mostly led to negative comments on Twitter due to the sex-trafficking scandal. I highly doubt Kraft had intentions of evil-doings. He just had coochie on his mind.

Hakeemtheking and Amiga like this.