1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I am 100% certain that the habits learned and developed now will leave a lasting aftermath on China..
    Humanity has no greater incentive for progress than survival.

I saw in Weibo there are fairytales shared around about how to teach your kid to wash their hands and tv programs every day on hygiene.

People will learn and will keep many of these in the years to come when this is past us.
    And also more regulation or complete ban of wild life markets and eating wild animals.
    More respect to doctors, nurses and medical staff, and perhaps opening of more medical schools.

I hope if you choose to stay you just know all the information.

It is predicted that in about half- one week there will be a local outbreak in big chinese cities, and that the peak in Wuhan will be 20 April (In Beijing beginning of May). This is just the peak not the end.

So if you stay just keep in mind that it is forecasted to take this long and prepare accordingly.

I send you my best wishes and support!

Nook and Roomba like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. malakas

malakas Member

There have been extremely few recoveries reported in China and analysts speculate this is because chinese hospitals are keeping the patients long after recovery for observation.

After a patient has recovered and shows zero symptoms it has been established from american cases that they still can infect others for ..if I remember correctly 1-2 days.

4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the well-wishes! I know I'm taking a calculated risk in staying here but I think it'll be OK. Must be the Rocket fan in me :p

I've been stocking up on instant noodles and Spam, just in case.

[​IMG]

Nook and malakas like this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

is that a civet. Please, please never eat a civet (not that anyone on here would). They apparently caused the SARS epidemic back in 02.

6. malakas

malakas Member

CCity Zero, B-Bob and Roomba like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  8. shorerider

shorerider Member

16% death rate!?? I need to stop reading this thread. Now I'm only left to wonder which ending we will suffer:

• The Stand
    • 12 Monkeys
    • 28 Days Later
    • World War Z

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hiroki Lo, a 38-year-old Taiwanese beverage store owner, that day reported that Tencent and NetEase were both posting "unmodified statistics," before switching to official numbers in short order.

10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Says that he's currently in critical condition and that they're currently fighting to save him/resuscitate him? Don't know the proper word for 抢救 in English...if this is true I hope he pulls through. He deserves a good long life.

edit: 抢救 is emergency treatment

11. malakas

malakas Member

The virus doesn't have a 16% death rate.

These days all of china works from home and employees make stupid mistake.
    Yesterday one sent a warning for a 12 richter earthquake.

CCity Zero, B-Bob and BigM like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Unfortunately the hero doctor has now been confirmed officially dead.

Only 34 year old. Confirmed the infection on 10 January.

If 34 year olds, without underlying medical conditions with the best possible care and attention fall victims ....
    I hope China indeed doesn't forget a doctor who tried to fullfill his duty

..though there will be many new heroes stepping up in his shoes by the time this outbreak is over.

Nook likes this.
  13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

there’s a sci fi series of 12 monkeys on Hulu right now. Gets decent reviews. First ten or fifteen minutes of the first episode, and I’m already thinking Wuhan.

14. Buck Turgidson

Japan says the are all good.

Take that for what it's worth.

15. Buck Turgidson

What animals are you (not you personally, but colloquial) not going to eat?

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Darn cute.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Some people say we shouldn't eat vertebrates at all. Idk about that, I don't think many people would be ok with an insect and plant diet.

I personally think we shouldn't eat anything that isn't killed humanely (though it's difficult to monitor this), no wild caught ocean fish as the current rate of fishing is pretty damn unsustainable and no exotic/endangered animals.

Civets, or rhino horn, or howler monkeys, pangolins...ANYTHING like that don't make you more virile and healthy. That's just the superstitious beliefs of some seriously ignorant, inbred ****s. Those are the same people who say torturing an animal makes the flesh taste better. All BS, nonproven barbaric ****. Most people in China--not just foreigners like me but the locals--would agree with my previous statement, I'd wager. The majority of folks in Beijing definitely do look down on this kind of behavior, at the very least.

Nook, Invisible Fan and malakas like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

This is just me, but I would stop eating monkeys and bats and rats and dogs and cats and rhino horns and tiger paws and shark fins and etc....**** your eastern medicine

Nook, Entropy and Roomba like this.
  20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly even human flesh is probably better for a person's health than most of those animals you just mentioned.

uh..not that I mean anything by that. Just an observation o_O