1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A mutation of the same virus always comes back stronger.

2. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

HK and other cities were locked down for SARs similar to Wuhan. SARs was easier to contain because it wasn't as contagious (a person was not contagious before showing symptoms) as COVID19, and also it had a higher mortality rate (~10%) so it also killed many people before they could spread it.

malakas and Jontro like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What South Korea excelled at was their wide spread testing ability. 5200 tests per 1 million population.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm convinced the majority of Americans act like they are impervious to this virus. I was just at my grocery store and, besides me wearing my N95 mask, I only saw one other person wearing a mask. I guess everyone is just resigned to the fact that they are going to get it so might as well just walk around breathing in whatever is floating in the air. Saw many old people not wearing one. I felt kind of stupid wearing my mask but whatever. I'd rather not breath in whatever is floating around that grocery store just in case. Maybe I should just say to hell with it and not wear one? I'd rather not get it, though.

And, I'm resigned to the fact that there are certain things I just won't be able to buy at the grocery store for a while...the main thing being eggs and probably ground turkey meat. I had to buy ground beef. Ugh. And, bread was really slim on the pickings. The whole thing is a sh_t show. I'll be on the frozen dinner junk food diet for a long time I guess...cause that is what was still around. Barely even found canned soup. lol

malakas likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Are eggs rare? Haven't encountered that. Masks are definitely just not the social norm here. It's jarring. And - aren't they hard to come by at this time?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean have you not noticed masks aren't exactly the easiest thing to get these days. Especially N95 masks that are most needed by healthcare workers.

If anyone is wearing a non N95 mask, it isn't really protecting you from the virus. you can still get it just as easily as anyone without one.

#3306 YOLO, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I had a mask, but now it's too late. Many people also don't have the disposable income to buy a mask. Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck and now are being told to get food for months just in case. I went to the store and there were eggs, but no chicken or beef.

8. Surfguy

True. I had a few on hand for a home project. I know they are pretty much impossible to come by now. Just thought I would see more than I did. I wouldn't think it would be that uncommon at this point to see.

I've got this pigeon nesting in my gutter under an overhang where I guess the water doesn't go when it rains. I'm thinking about taking her eggs.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'll trade you 4 eggs for a mask. Lulz. Extra large organic brown boys.

10. Surfguy

I figured people would be making a run at Omaha Steaks so I went to their website thinking they would be out of stock on a lot of product but they don't seem to be (except some poultry items).

withmustard and OmegaSupreme like this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's because they are expensive as ****. Seems even more so now.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I get most of my stuff online via store pickup or delivery. I may not get everything I want, but then I'll try getting it the next go-round. I don't want to go inside a grocery store for a while and am going to avoid it if I can help it. Even delivery and curbside pickup aren't free of dangers, but I gotta get food somehow.

N95 masks are almost impossible to get now because of shortages and people hoarding them and jacking up the prices. I bought some masks that luckily were N95 last March or so to mix soil for growing peppers (didn't want to inhale perlite and soil dust mixing pots of soil). I bought a 20-pack for around $18 back then. Good luck getting masks to begin with, much less at that price now with hoarding and price gouging in effect for the past several weeks.

I don't think people in America are acting like they're impervious (as a majority), although some younger people are. Many are being told to act how they should act or hang out with people who aren't taking it that seriously and they're being influenced. I still see people on Nextdoor, for example, looking for playdates for their kids, encouraging people to meet up at their favorite local restaurants to help the restaurants and their employees out, kids going out and partying on Spring Break to possibly catch the virus and return to their towns and help spread it (not intentionally, of course). In most cases, I just have to shake my head. Humans are just collectively dumb. It's one reason we have government forcing us to do crap we don't want to do. lol.

malakas and withmustard like this.
  13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Went to get gas this morning at 6:30 and across the street people were lined up outside of HEB with their carts. It didn't open for another hour and a half. When is that **** going to stop?

14. Surfguy

My guess is it will get better as grocery stores adapt. But, I think what is going to end up happening is...in a week or two...people are going to be pretty well stocked up. And, the grocery store crisis will ease up a lot. At least, I'm hoping.

Also, people lining up in the morning are obviously trying to time re-stocking of shelves. So, everyone goes early and are also timing days when stores get new stock delivered.

malakas and dc rock like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is why we desperately try to slow down the infections and prevent hospitals from overloading, brutal stuff. :(

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

People may start running out of money as well, or at least to think twice about buying 6 months of provisions.

malakas likes this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It’ll probably get a worse for a bit if and when they call for a lockdown.

Tried to go Bellaire HEB this morning at 10:30 and there was probably 30-40 people waiting to get in. Went to Randall’s literally across the street and they were stocked full, no lines to get in or check out. But man that store is sad, produce selection and pricing was terrible.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We bought two packs of q-tips. Put a few in your pocket and use them to press buttons on ATMs and such. Throw them away after use.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a great idea, @rimrocker! Never occurred to me.