1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Also from the story

"But Tsang said the long-term effect on recovered patients, such as whether they would develop pulmonary fibrosis, a condition where lung tissue hardened and the organ could not function properly, had yet to be ascertained.

He said discharged patients could do cardiovascular exercise such as swimming to help the lungs recover gradually."

TMac'n, malakas, daywalker02 and 3 others like this.
  2. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

We still have a great chance to keep this from becoming a major catastrophe, maybe even less of a problem than the 2009 swine flu that killed about 13,000 in the US, IF people are smart and practice social distancing. Those who do will be glad they did.

AB423 and daywalker02 like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Being a physician through this is incredible frustrating. No preparation, direction in place.

what I’m most concerned about is that this virus kills older people with comorbidities...precisely the ones that are already at the hospital. When you bring suspected cases without proper precautions you’re just seeding the area. Staff could just perpetuate it

Lar, AB423, Xerobull and 4 others like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've been listening to this video of their experience with Covid 19 in Japan and the part of the video where I have it marked to start at is very interesting. He is a diabetic who contracted the virus on a cruise ship and didn't fully recognize he was infected even though he was cognizant of the symptoms and was taking his temperature often. He ended up being infected with covid, common cold, flu, and viral pneumonia. He discussed how he used breathing exercises to avoid going on a respirator when his condition was deteriorating rapidly. @justtxyank I thought maybe this video might make you feel a little more at ease to know there are exercises that can be done to help lung problems.

Obviously, this won't help everyone, but I have to wonder how effective a combination of avoiding NSAIDs, taking vitamin D daily supplements, being in the sun for vitamin D, and doing lung exercises like the one he mentions with the emotional freedom technique from Gary Craig or something much more advanced like Wim Hof's method would be with prevention and treatment.

CCity Zero, FrontRunner, Kim and 7 others like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m generally anti nsaid use or rather overuse... but is there something specific here that is saying nsaids are bad???

meaning if i spoke a 103 fever I’m likely to use Advil. If I’m at high 99-100 somewhat consistently then I’m probably not or will ride it out.

Also not sure about the breathing he mentions. Sounds like he started it after he went through his worst night where his wife thought he was going to die. Meaning he might have turned the corner anyway. That said I am a fan of breathing/meditative type practices in general. It does help overall imo. So IV et there was probably some positive aspect to it... just think it’s probably not “he did breathing excercises and then slowly got better”

6. malakas

malakas Member

This is how to achieve herd immunity without overwhelming the NHS.

You need 17 years. :D

7. malakas

malakas Member

The French are advising their people not to take anti inflammatory medication for the fever of COVID-19 because it can aggravate your condition. Use paracetamol instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Austria is now banning groups of more than 5 people.
    France supermarkets will begin implementing special hours in the morning for only over 70s.

I hope we do the same. Complete ban of groups.
    This game of cat and mouse between the government and the idiots will lead nowhere.
    They will always find a new group activity to engage with. The newest one is open cocktail parties. :rolleyes:

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are going to put in a lockdown. People are stupid.

11. omgTHEpotential

Any Norwegians here?

[​IMG]

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Side effect is society is going cray.

malakas likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You keep using this word. Thanks for the headsup and the links on this. But when you warn someone in the US, we tend to know this as "acetaminophen." I find most Tylonel (and equivalent) packaging uses that terms as the "active ingredient."

#2454 heypartner, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, makes me wonder if its a brand-war.

16. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

thanks hp i was confused about that

heypartner likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

That's just a nasty comment. Let me tell you about the stock market!

Nook, justtxyank and FrontRunner like this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

France has one of the best healthcare systems in the world.

But I will tell you why. This is a very simplistic explanation. If you take anti inflammatories you are fighting the symptoms that annoy you,(fever) , but actualy fever and inflammation is the body's response to fighting the microbe. Fighting the inflammation at low fever, hinders your body from fighting the virus.

This advice is only for mild cases => fever until 37.5 to 37.8 C (with the armpit method that europeans use).

In case you have now high fever and difficulty breathing SEEK MEDICAL ASSISTANCE. It is a sign that you may be developing pneumonia.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

I am sorry that I write like this in bold that may alarm some, but I want to make sure people pay attention. I am trying to do the best I can do. God bless.

Nook, jcf and daywalker02 like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Join the club.
    Psychiatrists and psychologists are going to do good business after everything is over.