1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It is very possible that this strain becomes endemic. The point, however, is that if a vaccine can be developed, and if antivirals can be found, you keep the death toll at a reasonable level (like the flu or something). Then, fairly quickly, the world builds up enough immunity that this becomes the fifth regular coronovirus in rotation that causes colds.

One little bit of good news I guess. As the number of cases around the world has ramped up with a large curve, the number of serious cases has been a much slower increase...almost flat. The statistics are going to show that fewer and fewer percentages of people are having serious illness. Still don't want to have a large ramp up and overwhelm a health system.

CCity Zero, Pringles and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm confused why we aren't hearing more outbreaks across the rest of Asia particularly India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, and countries in Africa. Is it lack of media coverage and testing? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

CCity Zero and donkeypunch like this.
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

no idea if SK numbers are reliable

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You may want to take a hiatus and do some virtual social distancing from the internet. Good luck to you.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I kind of chose to leave stuff out I didn't know how detailed some others wanted to get, but this is correct the real concern is some drugs impacting ACE2, ie more sites for the virus. I kind of left it more on health complications, so we didn't get called out, but you're absolutely correct, that we should share everything we've read from good sources/peer papers etc.

#2345 CCity Zero, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

well, concern is warranted, and I’m not sure it’s “ easier” over here. There is a significant and largely unmeasured outbreak in my area. The streets are empty and people are scared. But I acknowledge: not next to Italy. Just in a city full of European travelers.

but all losing sleep, etc, will do is run down your immune system.

we consume news to give ourselves the sense of control and safety, but it engages fight or flight responses, and so on.

we should probably all: keep washing those hands, minimize unnecessary contacts, and ration our news intake.

take good care.

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. shorerider

shorerider Member

My God man I hate to dispense orders but turn your computer off for the next 48 hours. I guarantee you by tomorrow you'll feel a lot better. The sickness of the internet is that it expands one's world view way beyond what it was evolved to handle.

malakas likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

first case in Africa yesterday... probably due to less travel or perhaps they have advanced screening

According to BBC, India tested 600k people (hard to believe... maybe they mean advance screening) that traveled into their airports. They have now pretty much closed their borders.

Myanmar has been testing since 1/31 and have found no cases. Still, they only allow essential public gathering and have shutdown festivals as they said they have no idea if it is already circulating. They also could put you in prison if you don’t report suspected cases.

Vietnam closed down nearly everything after a few cases from its northern province.

I think because some of these countries are close to China, they took it extremely serious.. some of them have also dealt with epidemic recently and so are better prepared

I find that both the US and EU has a problem with complacency among the population, then you add poor prep from gov on top...

#2349 Amiga, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, we should educate people on herd immunity, like for measles and some that aren't sure if it's worth getting the vaccine for their children... It is. The R0 is like 12-18, meaning doing simply herd immunity equation that like ~95% need to have the vaccine, but like in basic flu that has R0 of 2 (let's say) its like roughly 50%. I think after we get through this we should continue to discuss these factors on herd immunity and why it's essential to protecting the people who can't get vaccines due to health complications.

malakas likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hehe, she's very educated, so she's using valid sources/weeding out garbage and sharing a lot of good information with us, I worry for the people that have confirmation bias, like the ones buying all the toilet paper... Don't get me wrong, having a few weeks of important things are good, but in a situation (let's say even worse than this), I'm not thinking tp comes to mind for a lot of us.

But on the other hand, maybe @malakas will need a real vacation after this. She's definitely been sharing the most valid stuff.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

COVID is here. Tomorrow will be worse.

13. B-Bob

Seattle area still struggling with lack of tests and resources stretched too thin.

but scientists there came up w helpful modeling to show the effect of social distancing. This is actually kind of good news and shows how China slowed their outbreak. Should help in Europe too.

[​IMG]

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I have work contacts in India, I know it's being taken seriously in tech sector from talking with leads over there. Ie those that can are working from home. I've discussed it on a few calls with them, with that said I am concerned for people that can't work from home or live in a densely populated areas in India. I hope they do something similar to South Korea if it's possible (tons of testing etc)

KingCheetah and malakas like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you all very much for you concerns. I appreciate it.

It doesn't matter if I turn off my computer and stay off the internet. Because we are already in a quarantine to save our lives.

Everything is closed down, cafes, restaurants, tavernas, bars, cinemas, internet cafes. All forms of entertainment.

There is a national campaign by celebrities, scientists and politicians to stay home.

Everyone tries to keep a distance of one meter, and even if you have to take public transportation from tomorrow they will only allow 50% capacity at maximum in all means of transportation.

Only the idiots who are selfish and arrogant break the advice and today because they had nowhere else left to go, even went to swim in crowded beaches.
    But probably this will make the government close down beaches too to save people from themselves.

So I stay home

For you maybe the disaster is only in the internet now, but here is here in the real world.

I only shared my stress because it actually makes me feel better. =) Sharing your concerns and fear is actually healing.

JeeberD, Ziggy, Nook and 8 others like this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wow. A quarter of the population can take precautions and avoid contact can reduce infections by ten thousand according to this. Thanks to the population actually taking this seriously and saving the other idiots out there from this.

cmoak1982, CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dang, a vacation would need the NBA to resume again.

malakas likes this.
  18. B-Bob

I think it’s more like everyone cuts down interaction by some % but not sure.

malakas and donkeypunch like this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Isn’t all the hoarding /supermarket runs counterintuitive to social distancing? I guess once they get all the toilet paper they’ll just stay at home.

malakas likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is such a large Chinese presence in Africa now it's a surprise we haven't heard more chatter.

Nook likes this.