1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

is this in Kingwood?

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

What treatment/vaccine are you hoping for?
    It took 10 years for Tamiflu to hit the market after creation. and that only minimizes symptoms get rid of 1/2 days of the disease. Antivirals for HIV took similar development time. Unless they give incredibly lucky, and one of those also works for COVID that won't happen any time soon.

Vaccines are incredibly difficult. We have yet to create one that is safe for any of the recent viral respiratory outbreaks of the last 20 years. That development in the best of circumstances still takes 3-5 years at minimum.

That would mean we would be looking at these containment measures of social distancing would for something like 5-10 years.

You are totally correct that we don't know enough about cross reactive of strains, number of strains, how long immunity lasts after infection, or if the virus cold mutate every year. But that is knowledge they are hoping to get with the situations in Italy, China and S. Korea. Plus hopefully with some foresight of the infections as they develop in the USA.

CCity Zero, FrontRunner and malakas like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Yes. There are many clinical trials right now so we hope one shows results. ie. the arthritis medicine, the failed Ebola medicine, the malaria medicine etc.
    I don't expect to create a new drug. I hope to find an existing drug that works, at least to deal with the cytocine storms and treat the critical and severe cases. There is also some promising results about the ACE2 receptors that would make people less likely to get infected.

Vaccines are difficult, but which of these othe diseases received funding from basically every rich country in the world?
    Many diseases would have had vaccines by now, and soon if they had the financial resources, if the best labs and minds in the world were focused on them.
    Rest your mind. There will be a vaccine in 2021. The longest part is the clinical trial. China has many millions of humans in detention camps. They harvest their organs, you think they won't use them as human lab rats?
    Yes it is sad, but the first country to invent the vaccine will be China , next year, and it will be made on the blood of thousands of innocents.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Only thing missing was the red MAGA hat.

“You’re the one here at 6 in the morning.” Haha

FrontRunner and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This virus has already mutated once so we now have two strains. It's likely going to mutate again. We've never been able to cure the common cold and cold viruses are a type of Coronavirus.

malakas likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

We will have vaccines every year and soon there will be treatment.
    Humans have been able to create vaccines for all kinds of viruses and they will have a vaccine for this virus too.
    It's not so difficult like HIV.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes we will probably have a vaccine but it will likely have to be of limited effectiveness and have to be reformulated every year. I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer hear and I really hope that we can defeat this virus but this is an arms race of our technology versus viral evolution and the viruses have the upper hand.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Yes you will have to get vaccinated every year and it will have limited effectiveness. Same as the flu. It will save hundreds of thousands of lives.
    Then those who get infected will be much fewer, and the hospitals will be able to give them the best possible treatment because they won't be overwhelmed. The doctors will not be infected because they have to treat hundreds of patients, so not even their masks and gloves are enough.

Science can inform and give us the weapons. It is up to us to use them.

You can't beat human stupidity. If people don't believe in vaccines then they will die. Unless we make a vaccine for stupidity.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree. It will help I'm just skeptical that it will be defeated.

And you're 100% right. We can't vaccinate against human stupidity.

AroundTheWorld, CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Deep breath. Nowhere did I say lying.

yes, there are very legit reports of the horrors in Italy so let’s freaking avoid random Twitter that may or may not be valid.

verified news is scary enough, and it is plentiful.

11. malakas

malakas Member

If by defeat you mean we can make it extinct like SARS then that's long ago a lost cause. It is here to stay.
    One more vaccine a year. It is what it is.
    We are lucky to have such luxury that only with one shot you get protection.

In the meanwhile in the next few months, we can live how our ancestors had it like. No medicines, no vaccines.
    You vs nature with hardly any weapons and help.

Time to appreciate vaccines.

CCity Zero and rocketsjudoka like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Yes I know, but you live across the Atlantic so it is easy for you to say. I am a neighbour of Italy.

I have insomnia and when I finally sleep I see in my dreams people coughing. I have stopped eating because of stress.
    Ignorance is bliss.
    I have even stopped talking to selfish idiots at this point who in the brink of disaster dgaf and live their lives walking around. "No stupid flu is going to make me change my life"

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes by defeat I mean wipe out.

I fully appreciate vaccines I am very cautious though of rhetoric that says we will cure, as in stop the spread and symptoms, this disease. If and when we get a vaccine it will slow down the spread of the virus but not stop it completely. We will likely be dealing with variants of Covid 19 from here on out.

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

but some people won’t take the vaccines available to them, and that’s sort of a Darwinian way to achieve the same result.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

VanityHalfBlack and Andre0087 like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hope they let the clowns leave the house.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is illegal now that there's an emergency declared, I believe. These people should be prosecuted.