1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cousins Injury - West is Wide Open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fawkward, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah this doesn't make much of a difference. Maybe slightly good news for us since he dominated Capela badly in our last matchup. But outside of that this means more shots for Durant, Curry and Thompson which isn't a good thing.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cousins would have been feasted on by Harden and Paul. I'm not sure this hurts us, but I also don't think it helps us much either.

Smacktle likes this.
  3. mastan

mastan Member

This year's GS team has weak bench, so it's a decent loss not to have Cousins if that is the case. Plus Draymond, Livingston. Igudala are less effective this year.

Tfor3 and BigShasta like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

said it best right here

Tfor3 likes this.
  5. smokieethabear

Is it bad for me to wish it were Durant, Curry, or Thompson instead?

6. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I hate to see any player go down. Id like to beat them at full strength just to eliminate any asterisk at the end of the season.

However, defensive rebounding has been our achilles heal all season and Cousins would have given GSW an advantage in this area I think.

But like so many have already said, we gonna spank their a$$e$ this year with or without him.

Smacktle likes this.
  7. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Because I dont feel bad for a guy who Karma got that isnt on my team. Thats not stupid.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's you then and the type of person you are. unfortunately, there's these type of people out there

i definitely feel bad for a guy hustling for his team when he didn't have to and suffers a non contact rupture/tear.

Smacktle likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

those are all douches, but i don't necessarily wish them to get hurt. i do wish donkey and bogut to get hurt though because of the way they play the game, kicking/tripping/hacking/injuring opposing players their entire careers. they're both a disgrace to the game and deserve to watch from the bench

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Curry, Durant, Draymond, Klay, Iguodala -- injuries to any of these guys would have been more significant.

Losing Cousins might actually end up being addition by subtraction.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So we're going to pretend that Cousins didn't cook Capela in the last meeting. No Cousins and we beat them all 4 times this season.

The Rockets have one less thing to worry about and this is definitely a break.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You have to game plan for Cousins. This is a positive for Houston.. stop fooling yourselves.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

New Orleans offered him 2 yrs 40 million

Rocket River

justtxyank likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This hurts us more

15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

bro, there wont be any * for boogie cousins. they have TWO superstars, PLUS klay thompson all in their prime. they are still the most stacked team in history.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

We've got to figure out a way to make Bell, Bogut and especially that annoying Looney ineffective. Looney and Bell, to an extent, were the difference makers late in that series last year with their hustle on put backs and rebounds. They also played mostly solid defense when iso'ed on Harden. Much better than Cousins would have played against Harden and/or Paul.

Just like Javale McGee didn't play against us at all last year, I would expect Bogut to not play much against us as well. If Bogut does play more than 15 minutes a night, then I like our chances but I assume Kerr knows that Looney and Bell along with Green at the 5 are his best chance to beat us in 7 game series. We really have to figure out a way to expose Bell and Looney for the scrubs that they are but haven't really been able to do that in the past.

Looney only played 19 minutes last night. Bell only played 4 and Bogut played 16 so maybe the Warriors will stick with this rotation which will only benefit the Rockets. Capela has to be much more of a force against the Warriors than he was last year. Green and Capela neutralized each other last year when surprisingly both of them were ineffective. Our center rotation of Capela/Faried is a much better match up on paper against any of Green/Looney/Bell/Bogut. Could sprinkle in Nene from time to time but may not be needed. Capela/Faried just need to beast and work hard on the boards while they are out there and finish strong at the rim and I think overall the loss of Cousins will be a positive for the Rockets.

jcmoon likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sorry for Cousins. Always sucks to lose out on playoff opportunities because of injuries.

It hurts the Warriors to not have him. I don't ever believe the argument that a team is better off without someone. I don't have the irrational self-confidence to believe that I can see how Kerr is mishandling his roster. If Cousins wasn't helpful, he'd sit. Having one less arrow in the Warriors' quiver is good for the Rockets.

Why not have both? ;)

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yes. I do NOT understand why this is being so flippantly overlooked.

People with amnesia up in here.

Smacktle, sammy, kubli9 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Denovo

Denovo Member

This isn’t complicated. The loss of Cousins makes GS easier to defend as he was their post mismatch to counter our switching defense. Their offense is far less versatile and with out him our scheme is literally built to defeat theirs.

They have no bench while we are deeper than last season. Faried negates a lot of energy and hustle plays that we have seen from Looney/Bell. Rivers, House, and Shumpert are solid individual defenders. Green can heat up any given night/quarter.

We will repeat the strategy of forcing the switch for Cp3 and Harden to iso Steph. Tired legs will alter his shot as usual.

Draymond and Iggy are not the same caliber of defenders as they used to be.

Switching negates a lot of those (illegal) screens when rotating properly.

KD will get his regardless as he did last year. Stopping him isn’t the key to winning. It’s limiting Steph and Klay. Specifically preventing of them from heating up in the 3rd quarter.

If we lock in defensively and have at least average shooting nights. This series can be over in 6.

Cousins was a double edged sword. But he was signed as a counter for us. Ideally you want your opponent to have less firepower.

20. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Overall I do think it helps our chances ... Cousins (and maybe 1-2 other centers in the league) straight DOMINATE Clint in the paint and take away his ability to finish just because they body him so hard with all the pounds they have on him. I mean, we lost our last reg season game against the warriors because of Cousins straight bodying more than anyone else.

Having said that ... I do believe with cousins healthy the warriors added another element of offense that actually distracts them from their main focus/strengths (Steph/Klay). I've believed that if they want to post up boogie instead of their normal movement off their shooters offense, then go for it. In the same way we shut them down by baiting them into KD iso's all series long against what seemed to be favorable mismatches off of all our switches (he cooked us at the beginning but def fell off), having boogie want the ball in the post could have also been a favorable thing for us ... potentially. Not to mention, he was also a defensive liability and yet another option to abuse in our harden/cp iso's.

But oh well. I think having Clint maximizing his strengths all series is needed to take them down. And boogie really was starting to look like he could very well do that for a whole series.