1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cousins Injury - West is Wide Open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fawkward, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'm not going to read 10 pages, but I'm not sure how people can think taking away an allstar center that can pass and adds versatility...somehow makes them better? He abused Clint in our last game and we had no answer for him in the post when he was basically running their offense. Dude is a good passer and gives them a good inside presence. The were coming together at the end of the season while working him in and seemed to be doing well. I dunno.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Well it will be fitting since the Warriors have never won a championship without going through a team/teams that had a injured allstar or 2.

James.B.H, waytookrzy079 and Tfor3 like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

game 1 clips-worriers bogut/donkey/katie had a TON of moving screens, uncalled of course

J Sizzle, Hakeemtheking and kubli9 like this.
  4. RocketsSZN

RocketsSZN Member

Offensively they lost another dimension, because they used to be able to punish us off the switch or DeMarcus could just big body Capela. Defensively they got better because Looney is athletic enough (unlike Cousins) to guard the PnR and Harden on the switch. Also now Steph and and KD get more shots, which depending on how you look at it, bad. Meanwhile the Warriors’ will need some bench help which they lost when signing Cousins.

DaDakota, hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

It is a very small sample size, but he played very poorly in game 1 (a +/- of -17 while shooting 4-12, and this while playing almost exclusively with starters). Looney meanwhile was a +30 in 17 mins.

Cousins is a good center, and one that has given us fits this season. But that is not how he has been throughout the season - yes, he had a few good games, but his offensive skills dont mesh with the rest of the team and he had many poor games, ones where opponents singled him out, or isolated him as a defender, or other games where he just seemed out of sorts in comparison to the fast pace the rest of the team was playing with. He needs the ball in the post, takes time off the clock, and takes shots away from Klay, Steph, and KD. I for one would much rather have Boogie shooting 3's than KD, Klay, or Steph. He is also a player given to emotion and frustration.

Having said that, I hope he heals soon, that he gets paid well next season and finds a better fit for his skills. The Warriors were always an odd fit and there are many teams where he would find his talents better suited to their offense.

hakeem94 and B-Bob like this.
  6. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Man, nothing gets by you! Sharp as a wheel.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's more likely he even considers a short term deal with the Worriers again after the injury.

There is no way to Showcase him in the Playoffs now.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Spot on!

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I am skeptical. I know he likes the area from his time in Sacramento, but it felt that there was a lot behind the scenes going on with the team. If these reports are even partially true, KD is gone, Klay will get the supermax, and with all the other salaries at bay, it does not seem likely that the team will want to spend valuable money on a position that is not nearly as essential as backfilling KD.

10. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Oh yeah, no need for all that, I agree.

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Sometimes, just simple is just better. Humans tend to complicate things too much.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Man it feel like this is the year Houston finally gets by Golden State. If OKC loses and we beat Golden State (Assuming we get by Utah) then there is nothing else in the West.

To bad the East finally decided to find a powerhouse in The Bucks. Matchup nightmare.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wish you would say this before the Finals though......... a lot things can still happen.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Your right. But if Houston wants to take advantage of the turnout in GSW right now this is the season to do it for sure.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, but if GSW is really about to lose 1 or 2 Allstars, then there still be chances but Fertitta has to spend.

And we going to see how Zion Williamson turns out.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That really sucks for us. Durant and Cousins are the keys to beating the Warriors.

DreamShook and hakeem94 like this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You can look at the on off splits of cousins in regular season. While he made their offense historic he severely worsened their defense. They were something like a +10 net rating difference when he sat on the bench. If you watched the first Rockets Warriors game Looney abused us. Once he picked up his 4th foul the Rockets went on a huge run to comeback and allow Harden to hit the shot of his career.

Yes Cousins torched us in the last matchup, but I’ll take my chances with us beating that offense over Curry Durant. He was on last game but he takes the most inefficient long two point jumpers all day. I’ll give him that he won’t shoot lights out in a 7 game series.

harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's if the Bucks get there. They likely have to go through Boston and then Toronto or Philly. Neither are gimmes.

If we do get to the Finals, I hope our opponent is the Celtics. The one team we'd have home court over and isn't a tough matchup. We would have home court over Philly, but Embiid would be a handful against Capela.

19. GradyMcTracy

GradyMcTracy Member