1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cousins: bust or star?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by roslolian, Jun 3, 2010.

?

How will Cousins end up playing as a center in this NBA?

1. A star-he'll be one of the top C's in the league

134 vote(s)
    44.5%
  2. A bust-he'll be the next coming of Eddy Curry

73 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A roleplayer-he'll be next Erica Dampier or Zaza Pachulia

94 vote(s)
    31.2%
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Fazekas had the highest PER for 2 years straight and Landry still got drafted. He had a good weight and was much taller than Landry. Landry was a workhorse with bad measurements. We know who Morey drafted. :)

2. BetterThanEver

Oh yes, he doesn't look only at PER. He only looks at production, that's what you said.. That's all he cares about. Height, weight, speed, offense, defense and attitude doesn't matter. :grin:

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Um, thats right. Besides how much you contribute to wins, why should anything else matter? This is basketball, not a beauty pageant or boy scouts.

4. BetterThanEver

Cousins will have a serious injury missing several games or requiring surgery by All-Star break.

5. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I see Eddy Curry, peopel forget Curry averaged 20 points with NYC one year and did well in Chicago at times too, just his motivation and character was the big issue and thats what led to his demise....I think cousins can be productive just like curry his character and so on is the issue, and thats where I think hell be

6. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

The combination of questions about his weight and his motor is a red flag. If it was either one of the two, it might not be such a concern. But it seems to me if I guy has a tendency to put on excess weight, you'd want him to compensate for that by showing a serious love for and dedication to the game, a real hunger and desire to bring it every night and do whatever it takes to succeed. A fire in his belly to go with the flame-broiled Whopper in his belly. These two traits - questions about motivation and weight - don't go together well. That said, he'll probably tear it up and dominate for years to come. :)

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

So supposing you lived near your campus and didn't have to move anywhere. Your parents also expected you to do great however they keep giving you 30k monthly allowance in addition to paying for the electricity, food etc. Do you think you would have started working hard?

Your example about guys and girls who only sorted themselves out after their parents kicked them out won't really apply to Cousins as he will have guaranteed dollars in the bank. Having teammates who are professional is just the same as having top-notcher friends in college. Of course they will impact you in a positive way, however they won't hold your hand and get on your case if you start slacking off. Ultimately the desire to succeed needs to come out of your efforts, having good vets on the team won't do anything if you don't have the desire (see Antawn Jamison and Andre Blatche).

Just some food for thought.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Scoring 20 points a game is NOT the measure of productivity. In fact, an infamous "Eddy Curry stat" was so coined for the ultimate measure of futility.

Thank god Daryl Morey does not equate productivity with the traditional boxscore like so many internet experts here.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Carloss Boozer had similar questions coming out of college and he slid to the 2nd round.

But he lost a lot of weight, got ripped and has maintained it throughout his entire NBA career.

I am not sure where Cousins fits, but gaining weight before the NBA draft measurements camp is not a good sign.

Usually players try to get IN shape for that.

DD

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And doing what he did in college is a very good sign. He's very aggressive on the offensive boards. He gets blocks. He gets steals. Plus, I'm not so sure how much weight he gained before the combine as he has always seemed big to me.

Also, he is also very good at drawing fouls at about 4-5 fouls in 23 min of play. This is something that Morey rates very highly. Granted he is only 60% from the foul strip, but I'd rather have Cousins on the line than Chase shooting a jumper.

#70 Joe Joe, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

How big of a drop is there in the rookie salaries in the first round? Maybe Cousins is hoping he'll fall a bit and land on a better team/situation.

Brilliant! :grin:

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hope his stock could fall out of the top 6, then we might have solid chance at getting him without giving up a vital piece to the team.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He won't get past 4. :(

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

As Chad Ford put it - DeMarcus Cousins: Crazy talent or just crazy?
    chadfordinsider: Great quote by John Thompson on why he'd take Cousins in draft: "You can calm down a fool before you can resurrect a corpse."

Outside the Lines' Andy Katz profiles DeMarcus Cousins, as NBA lottery teams weigh his basketball potential against his behavior.

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=5293484"/></object>

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5293484

15. YDoof2

YDoof2 Member

He WAS the 2nd best lol.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thats it Meh, you answered the question for everyone. If he is drafted by the Rockets, he will be a star. ;)

17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I didn't know there were knocks on Booze for weight or character?

I thought the knock was that he was too short to be a banger PF and that he wasn't athletic enough (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1031252/index.htm)? I don't think there were ever questions about motor, desire, character, etc like there seemingly are for Cousins.

I really hope I'm wrong, because I want the kid to succeed. Unfortunately, I do see a lot of Eddy Curry in him. I think he'll have offensive outbursts, but just don't see him being consistent (unless he plays with a chip on his shoulder by going lower than guaranteed).

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Getting drafted lower than "expected" could be a very good thing for Cousins for exactly that reason. Plus, it might get him into a situation where the expectations are reduced and he would have better players on his team.

I have a bad memory, but motor and character were definitely NOT major concerns about Boozer when he was drafted IIRC.

19. StF616

StF616 New Member

I Believe DeMarcus Cousins will be a Star
    Maybe some all-star Games
    I think he will have 19-11 in his prime

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think getting the 11 rpg will be easier than the 19 ppg for Cousins. Cousins could become the top rebounder in the NBA with some work and should be above average just starting out.