1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Courtvision] The Worst Shot in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.kirkgoldsberry.com/courtvision.htm

lock if already posted, this is a neat website with some interesting stat analysis

here is one I liked:

Here's my question, why is there necessarily added value from being able to shoot well from that spot? Is it harder to defend shots from that location? I suppose big defenders may not like coming out that far.

Just because you can do something well that others can't doesn't mean that thing necessarily has value.

2. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

doesnt matter if the bigger defender wants to come out or not. gotta play help defense unless you are fully retarted

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Should be pretty easy to nail if you bank it? Bank shots seem to be out of fashion, it boggles my mind.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I mean honestly this doesn't need analyzing much simply because there is bound to be a place on the court that holds the lowest FG percentage anyways.
    You may argue that it is a difficult shot but what about the exact same spot on the other end?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think it's saying that thing has added value, but that the player does.. it tells me they are working harder and/or smarter, and that most teams and defenders aren't well prepared to defend that, because they don't see it much. In fact, they probably are taught to force guys into that shot, which is great for anyone who can hit it.

Im not sure why it's hit as such a low percentage..personally i love that shot and find it easy to take and make, but i guess it does require some practice. Defenders all across the board, and at every level, don't really expect it.

6. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Extend that dot to the three point line. That is a troublesome spot for me. Some like it while others don't. On that area, the thing is, you will be having second thoughts (and depending on the circumstances) if you will bank it or swish it. It actually seems easier to swish it but banking is my preference.

7. kikimama

kikimama Member

It's happens to the best of us...

8. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Interesting...that's not an easy banker, nor is it an easy swish, so it makes sense.

I wonder where Jared Jefferies is most unsuccessful. Dude misses his layups, dunks and jumpers.

10. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

I always thought the mid-range baseline jumper was a tough one to hit, since you don't have the backboard behind the rim to judge the distance.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

The dumbest shot is foot on the 3 point line or just inside it. Basically the same distance as a 3 but obviously only worth 2

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The worst shot in the NBA is one taken by a non-shooter.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Jayson Williams, by far.

14. munco

munco Member

I'm thinking that it's a pretty easy area to get off a shot. That's the only reason I can think of as to why it has value.

It's definitely the spot where Duncan does his annoying bank shot.

15. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

1. I feel like Griffin has been working on that shot.
    2. Does Durant have a bad spot?
    3. I would like to see Lowry's % from 3 feet behind the 3pt. line.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Wade does, but that's probably why he's the 2nd best player from that spot.