1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courts strike down voter suppression laws in Texas & Wisconson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Oct 9, 2014.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, the people who can't afford it shouldn't be allowed to vote. It is a poll tax, as the SCOTUS just implied.

Wow.

Those who cannot empathize with those who are less fortunate than they are (you) have failed in life so utterly as to not deserve an opinion.

I agree, way too many people believe liars. However, part of the problem is that we allow liars to pollute the airwaves with their tripe.

No, you didn't get it. The people who are least informed among us are the ones who listen to the aforementioned tripe. This entire issue is "strictly political," it is about disenfranchising groups that vote Democratic more heavily, Republican officials have admitted as much and you still support these stupid laws.

And those are the people that statistically wash each other out on both the left and the right. This is the entire reason that Republicans want these laws, to suppress votes that will go to Democrats at a high rate.

Even if you aren't one of Fox's television consumers, you seem to consume only media that bounces around in their echo chamber. This is evidenced by your posting history, including your opinion in this very thread.

The fact that you don't understand how egregiously hateful your comments about the poor and elderly are is truly sobering.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's all Middle Ages meets Ayn Rand. Frightening.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Commodore...apparently your statement implies that you are not proud of yourself in this thread.

Your "hypothetical legal scheme" is actually law.

Should I 'splain this more to you.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd be fine with that, if you can't afford an ID that comes out to about 2.50 a year when the least anyone can legally pay you is 7.25 an hour then you've made awful choices in your life and your opinion shouldn't matter. Again, if it was more significant that would be one thing, but even poor people can afford ID's.

It has nothing to do with empathy. Empathizing with someone who has made such awful decisions in their life as to not be able to afford a 6 dollar ID every 6 years is one thing, thinking that they'd have a valuable opinion as to the direction the state or country should go in is another.

So it's your assumption that total and complete screw ups of society will automatically be Democrats? I don't doubt that would be a Republican assumption, do you agree with it?

There's nothing hateful about suggesting that the totally incompetent members of society shouldn't have a say in the direction of the country. Even a burger flipper can afford a 6 dollar ID.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Once you are over 60 an ID costs 6 dollars and never expires.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Exactly. You can see R rated movie without being legally an adult.

Edit: Or did you mean you have to be 21 to buy beer, while you can do the others once you are legally an adult?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I pointed that out earlier yet somehow expecting them to have an ID targets that demo in the mind of some.

8. Bandwagoner

I think he meant if you are a felon you less likely to vote and more likely to do the other activities.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Which makes it less optimally effective as a voter suppression tool.

But in terms of preventing Kodiak bear assaults and voter fraud it remains at the same steady efficacy.

#89 SamFisher, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Bandwagoner

At first I was on your side of the argument. Now I think it would be good to exploit the private groups that drive people to vote for all they are worth. Get them to drive people to the DPS as well. Perhaps we could have a law that anyone who rode on a bus to vote must have just been fed a free hot meal.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Redistricting is a mutually agreed upon contrivance that nowadays primarily serves to elect black congressmen in exchange for more conservative offsetting districts, but everyone still votes.

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Bro, your posts are seething with hatred. You are also shamefully un-American.

If you're going to single out any one group as the 'dregs' of society, maybe you should look towards the liars (and in a mirror).

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There really isn't any hatred in anything I'm saying, perhaps you are projecting....I don't know.

In your opinion, who are "the liars"?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, when it comes to my opinion of how a democracy is best run, of course it's "Un-American".....and that's not a bad thing. I pointed that out with my very first post on the subject.

15. GladiatoRowdy

Really? Then why do such a large number of them lack the ID? It isn't all about the money, it is also about the time and trouble one must go through to get the required documentation, the additional expense of a birth certificate, having to take days off of work when you can barely afford to feed your family.

It has everything to do with empathy. You can't even seem to put yourself in the place of someone less fortunate than you long enough to realize that they deserve the right to vote every bit as much as you do.

I wouldn't blanket label everyone who happens to make very little money as "complete screw ups of society." I know people who make very little money, but work far more than I assume you do. I'm sorry the Republican assumption (that poor people are that way entirely because of "poor choices") has become your opinion, but it is an asinine, stupid opinion.

I agree about the "incompetent," a category in which most Fox viewers belong. However, assuming that poor people are incompetent merely because they are poor is hateful, no matter how much you want to deny that it is so.

#95 GladiatoRowdy, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  16. GladiatoRowdy

Sorry, you're the king of projection in this forum. Actually, you are prolly bigpuffery's queen in that regard.

People who lie, particularly those with large audiences who do so, such as the pundits on Fox.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not my problem. Again, why should we believe that someone struggling THAT much, to the point where they can't get a 6 dollar ID, would have an intelligent opinion as to the direction of the country? Again, it's not hateful to point out that if you run your life that poorly, you probably don't have the best of ideas.

I would think that if I couldn't afford to get an ID that my opinion would be pretty irrelevant too. It's just a philosophical difference of opinion, you think that everyone's opinion matters or should matter, I don't. I think that only somewhat competent opinions should matter. That's something that's intuitive in everyday life, but when it comes to politics everyone gets stupid for some reason.

If a bum walked up to you and suggested that you purchase certain stocks, would you value his opinion? Of course not. Why would you value his opinion as to how the country should be governed?

There is no hard working non screwup that can't afford a 6 dollar ID. Not in this country anyway.

People who are indigent to the point where they can't buy a 6 dollar ID are incompetent in their lives, and it's not "hateful" to point out. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

18. GladiatoRowdy

Continuing to ignore the fact that the obstacle is far more than $6, check.

Only competent opinions should matter, check. Based on this take, you need to give up your voter registration now.

So now, everyone who doesn't have ID is a "bum." You just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper with your hateful posting.

Again, ignoring the other significant obstacles, no surprise.

It is hateful to liken people who might choose to forgo voting rather than jump through all the hoops required to get an ID to "bums" or the "dregs of society."

Only one of us in this conversation is blind. It isn't me.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I don't see you as an intelligent poster, so there's no point in continuing this further. Feel free to believe whatever nonsense you want to believe.

Have a good day.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

im sure all those who do not deserve to vote always vote for the otherside, right?