1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courtney Lee wants "a bit more than MLE"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Rest. FA @CourtneyLee2211 told me: "They (@HoustonRockets) know what me and my agent (Dan Fegan) are looking for." Bit more than mid-level.
    from Fairview Shores, FL
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    now David Baumann ‏@DavidBaumann33

I asked @CourtneyLee2211 to compare other @NBA players' deals to what he wants. He named @aaronafflalo, @JJRedick & @trevorariza.
    from Eatonville, FL
    Reply Retweet Favorite

The @HoustonRockets ext. qual offer to @CourtneyLee2211 is formality. "I'm looking for a bit more than the mid-level exception," he told me.
    from Florida, US
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Just had a great talk w @CourtneyLee2211, who just got qualifying offer from @HoustonRockets. I know what he's hoping for in FA. More soon.
    from Florida, US
    Reply Retweet Favorite

2. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

28M/5year OK!

4. hahachui

hahachui Member

I think he is worth MLe

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

So about 6 mill?

I hope we can get Lee for a pretty good price i think he he could be i guy like Lowry that will be better than what he is paid.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No extensions pal :rolleyes:

7. valorita

valorita Member

step 1. give reasonable contract
    2. trade as asset

1 person likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

The Rockets will likely play their usual matching game with Lee. It's the reasonable thing to do when you have the right to match.

9. SRR21

SRR21 Member

David Baumann: It's not to say @Courtney Lee wouldn't take less than five-years, $40M. "I'd love that," was simply his response.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Lee is worth 5.5 a mil per imo. I wouldn't go any higher than 6.

What's the MLE likely to be around?

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Hard to decide on whether it's worth it until we know what our direction is for this season. If we go hard after an allstar to try and get a win-now team and try to limp to a championship, than sign him. If we aren't going to get anyone than there is no point wasting his talent. Give his minutes to our young players and try to develop them.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I kind of like the idea of throwing Lamb into the fire and making him the starter right off the bat. Is that crazy?

In that scenario we would trade Martin, sign & trade Lee away or just let him walk, and sign a cheaper free agent SG to come off the bench.

13. Carl Herrera

Middle-Eastern?

[​IMG]

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's not crazy at all. This is what rebuilding teams do. They throw their young guys into the fire.

I do think we should be careful though. You put too many young guys out there you become the Kings (which is fine...if we are suddenly wanting to tank)

I wouldn't mind keeping Lee around and resigning Camby. I think having those two around as vets will help. If we can give Lee what he wants then I don't think he'd mind a 6 man role any ways.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Figured Afflalo would be a baseline standard of solid starting 2 guard. Both similar type players, though Afflalo is a little bit more "sure thing" cuz he's a full time starter. Lee's between JJ Redick and Afflalo in role, though he's probably the starter if he comes back next season.

I say 4 years 28 mil, team option or non-guaranteed money on 5th. He basically takes Trevor Ariza money, who he got traded for.

And it depends on what another team offers him to probably jack up the price.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm glad they can sit on offering Lee anything personally. If they can't get a deal done for an impact player they should let Lee walk. I like him, but not enough to let his contract strain the cap without a star player on the roster.

17. rocketsfaninala

Lee is worth 6 million a year and nothing more. He is a solid role player who can start if needed to. Going past 6 million a year would be overpaying. I think 4 years at 24 million is a good contract.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

You always begin at the bargaining table a little higher. I would guess Lee can be signed at the MLE, and Rockets will match if they don't have immediate need for cap space. But if some team does offer above MLE ...

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

$6 million a year??? Under the new CBA???

That's crazy money for a guy of Lee's ilk, totally nutso.

Without Dwight being here and without using Lee as a draw to get Dwight to stay, Lee is worth around $17 million for 4 years max. Sorry, but the cold, hard reality of the new CBA is going to slap these players in the face big time this offseason.

If we don't trade for Dwight, I suspect we will not match any offers that are substantially more than about $4 mill per season.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Or is he an SnT candidate?