1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courtney Lee is better than Vernon Maxwell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's using "Vernon" to only attract quality posters to the thread.
    The real discussion in the post.

genius.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This thread is very knee-jerk in nature and could potentially be the butt of many jokes if DM is able to flip Asik + whatever for a player or contract much better than Courtney Lee.

Lee is a solid player, but there's a reason why most of us weren't heartbroken to see him walk. Despite his defensive ace label; defensively, we were no better with him on the court (and he was usually spelling Kevin fricken Martin). In theory, Lee sounds like a great addition, but his career has always produced middling results. Bottom line: Boston (and now Memphis) overpaid. Do you really think he's going to continue this hot shooting streak that he's on? Look at O.J. Mayo last year. These shooters all come back down to Earth eventually.

3. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Jeremy Lin 3rd star on team. Give minutes and we produce!

4. P Bev Tha Goon

Courtney Lee better than Maxwell? lmao, spray yourself.

The thought of Lee holding Jordan is lol funny and Maxwell would've punched Lee in the mouth after making him cry and taking his lunch.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I actually don't mind what Morey has gotten ALREADY instead of Courtney Lee (who I have always loved as a role player).

Morey has an elite defensive, starting caliber center. Admittedly, there are some injury issues (which they are carefully handling) and some attitude issues that need addressing, but his potential on-court contribution could be immense. Given that the Rockets (and Les Alexander) are the one team that has already gleaned the benefits of the bargain basement salary they were able to pay him over these past two years, the balloon payment is not really a major concern. If he plays out his contract and then just leaves via free agency, it wouldn't be a total disaster for the franchise, either. They will have gotten some serious use out of a very good player. (Heck, there might even be some sign-and-trade possibilities in 2015.)

The fact is, even if the Rockets don't move Asik ever, they have plenty of other assets (picks, smaller salaried players, draft rights to others) and the MLE to use on adding a "3-and-D" guy.

The Rockets will be just fine in the long run.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I don't think you fully appreciate Lebron.

He is already top 10 of all time...

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Says who? Bleacher Report? If Lebron is top 10 then he better be number 10 at best... Still a bit premature to place him in the top 10 of ALL TIME though.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I disagree. Vernon was the better player. Especially that year. His defense was ridiculously good. Courtney Lee is a good player, but he's not of that caliber.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like Courtney a lot as a player and he is friends with Superman

10. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Courtney ain't got nothing on me!

11. BonziWellsGOAT

Is P Bev Tha Goon a parody account or something? Am I missing something here??

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Freak, I think its a great post. I see some old timers trying to glorify Mad Max too much and I think its a fair argument.

I'm a huge Vernon fan, I always say that he is the best player you have never heard about in the NBA (non Rockets fans). His defense is the stuff of legends. A bit streaky on the offensive side but when he was on he was Dana Barros unstoppable (old reference for those that remember him dropping 50 on the Rocks).

Courtney Lee plays defense every god damn play. He isn't as gifted as Vernon but he isn't a knucklehead either and that counts for something. I think Lee would be the perfect addition for this team at the 2/3. Too bad Morey couldn't make it happen. Courtney Lee is a mixture of Vernon and Mario Elie as far as talent and role he would play. Very underappreciated player by the fans. He is an x factor guy. Memphis is playing a ton better since he went there.

1 person likes this.
  13. BonziWellsGOAT

Also 221 posts in 7 days??

11,492 posts in a year pace??

Is this a Machine set on troll?

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good take, Bima.

Courtney Lee is fool's gold. So glad DM backed off on that deal.

As far as Asik goes, you guys are obviously much more connected with the local media and more likely to hear "things" regarding what's really going on with this strange situation. To a guy across the country in Pittsburgh, it looks like your classic wink-wink "stay away until something happens" sort of arrangement. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that.

We badly miss him (or a sufficient replacement player) in the mix of things. My first official major "gripe" with DM will be if this situation lingers into mid-February without some sort of decision, one way or another. The status quo is unacceptable.

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Stongly disagree, I've watched Courtney Lee do some unthinkable stuff with the basketball and have lapses on the defensive end as well. How do you think we would fair against MJ the G.O.A.T.! No contest, plus Courtney comes off the bench and guards a player that has been playing for several minutes. Max started and play D to the end. I'm not glorifying Max, but having seen both of them play, no question who is better.

Give me Mad Max all day everyday!

16. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I never said I would take Lee over Max. I said it was a fair post. I think you have a strange emotional attachment to a guy we would see get high in 3rd ward and then drop 17 point two hours later in a game. Lee plays every play but like I said, he doesn't have the athleticism of Mad Max. Lee getting schooled is not a product of effort. It sort of like why I get mad at Harden for not playing defense but I don't with Lin. Lin lacks the physical ability and Harden doesn't. My point was the Lee is under appreciated.

Your panties are on too tight.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

There we go with the bashing, your title says Lee is better than Maxwell, if that is case why wouldn't you take him over Max. In addition, I didn't call you crazy, an idiot, stupid, dumb, or ignorant for even creating this article. I just strongly disagreed with your opinion. Also, you're absolutely right, VMax had/has plenty of thugnificient in him but on that basketball court Lee is not his equal at any point in his career.

So those panties you mention, seem to belong to you and your love affair with Courtney "Journey Man" Lee.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Courtney Lee is a good player but would be terrible for Morey's salary flexibility for the next few years. You may disagree with his approach, but he definitely wants a 3rd star on this team and I certainly am all for it.