1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Court Reinstates Texas Voter ID Requirement, Allowing State to Enforce Law This Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Essentially no fraud.

Manipulation (as in redistricting) is absolutely happening legally. That is a real issue. Republican don't care to tackle it. Democrat don't care either.

Creative way - exactly what photo ID requirement is designed to do. Big Stick Government by Republican are implementing creative ways to suppress Dem votes as study has already shown.

On the 'you don't need to vote' - that's not your call. You don't get to judge who can vote.. that issue was settled.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what supporters of voter ID law in this thread seem to be saying is this. "We know that voting fraud isn't really a problem, but we still support this unnecessary and wasteful law because it shouldn't be too hard for someone to find an ID."

That's not a real strong argument to me make in favor of the voter ID law.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - you stepped into a landmine.

Paul Blart mall cop gonna go full guns on you explaining how driving to the DMV and paying money and waiting in line is totally easy anyway since he can do it just fine NOT THAT HE SUPPORTS VOTER SUPPRESSION HE JUST KNOWS ITS NOT THAT HARD (and then explain to you in exhausting detail the difference in muzzle velocity of his full guns, cause he's cool like dat)

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Salty. I love the fact that your criticism of me is that I get the facts right on firearms. I'm not even being sarcastic, I love that.

5. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Allow me to stick my nose in this...
    ...have to keep those Negro race-baiting skills of mine sharp, you know....

There is one element of this whole thing that has proven "successful" because of its implementation and adoption as local and national legislative templates...

...and that element is, sadly, a lack of involvement (locally) of minority voters in "off-year" or local elections.

One thing I have always dismayed at in regards to some sensibilities about what forces are arrayed against African-Americans, for instance (thinly disguising themselves as "laws")...especially in the last 40 to 50 years or so...

...is the apathy of a lot of black folks toward the process of "representative" government.

There are a lot of ancillary and anecdotal and historical reasons for that, but the consequences are devastating and far-reaching…too devastating and too far-reaching to continue down the path of the “…voting is a waste of time…” mindsets that a lot of black people (mostly, of my generation and subsequent ones) have adopted and promoted…in response to feeling somehow not part of America because some people wish that were true, and say things and do things to reinforce that notion both overtly and (moreso nowadays) covertly….

I had a Nigerian man say something to me a few days ago that I found both inspiring and discouraging. He was walking with a cane, so I held a door open for him as we were entering a restaurant. An innocuous act on my part…courtesy is one of the by-products of my upbringing that I just can’t seem to shake even after all these years…

He asked me, after thanking me profusely for holding open the door for him, if I was from Nigeria. He seemed a little dismayed and confused when I told him I wasn’t…but he eventually smiled warmly and said “…yes, you are from Nigeria, where it matters…in your heart…”.

Separate but equal is a tenet that has a maddening tendency to not die the death it should have so many years ago, from our nation’s legal perspective. Like keeps to like…just the way human beings are and always have been. No getting around or away from that.

That’s a two-way street though…if black people (particularly poor or disillusioned ones) have the feeling that they’re not part of the fabric of this country in meaningful ways, thereby abdicating the responsibilities that being part of the American democratic process offers, it will surely result in these types of laws undoing everything that this nation (of all races and creeds) has done to establish the basic notion of the Constitution…that all men are created equal.

And it’s been said on more than one occasion that very often, we get the government we vote (or don’t vote) for.

These voting laws are obviously rigging the game of what a “representative” government is supposed to do at the level that is the most susceptible to foundational change (and the one that, and the end of the day, is probably the most vital to our national identity)…the state level. But that rigging, in my estimation, is beside the point.

None of this is especially new or original, either in intent or execution. But what is most disheartening to me, as a direct steward of this great “post racial” America we’re experiencing…is the resultant clamor to separate ourselves (or allow ourselves to be separated) from the nation that so many sacrificed to ensure that such a thing did not and could not happen.

The law is the law. That was Bull Connor’s mantra back in Alabama when he wanted to keep black people segregated and subdued and under control. And because we are a nation of laws…not ad hoc balkanization to scratch fetished identity itches…

…as a citizen, we have to be PART of the nation…not APART from it…no matter how much gerrymandering or legislative chicanery ensues to counter the narrative of this being a nation not of color but of character. Because none of that is new or is news, either.

The way you “beat” something like this is to hold it up under the light of its own scrutiny. Accept the responsibility of American citizenship, not the “rectitude” of “laws” that amount to nothing more than a slap in the face…and go vote.

Obey the law, whatever inconvenience it takes or imposes in the meanwhile, and prove why it’s senseless and craven, and watch it collapse under the weight of its “creative” problem-solving mantra.

A certain mindset might believe that a white man is the ego of the United States. And for whatever it’s worth, there’s some truth to that.

But a black man, then, would be the soul of the United States. For what this country could not promise to the black man (see the 15th amendment), it would eventually see fit to deny to everyone else.

1 person likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you that race is the real factor in these laws, and Republicans have been caught admitting that. It's just that supporters of the law will rarely if ever make that argument. So they are left making the argument that even though they know voter fraud isn't a problem it can't be that hard to get IDs

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

WTF?? Where did I say fraud was occurring?? I pretty much said the opposite. Did you even bother reading a single letter I typed or did you auto respond by the poster name (my name) and copy-and-paste a generic response? Yes, I do think that is what you did.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is a completely different topic. Both parties do it. So while you blindly support your party, keep in mind they are absolutely no different than the other party.

To reiterate my position, I really dont care either way. Its not my problem. Its not the problem of 99.9% of the people. Its a topic that really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Republicans believe there is massive amount of voter ID fraud going on (which there isn't) and Democrats act like a significant portion of their base can't vote because of ID (which there isn't)

Are there people who couldn't vote because of an ID? Sure there is. Was it fair that I didn't get to vote because the county clerk decided not to submit my voter registration when I moved? Absolutely not. Which of these two do you think I can control more? Which of these two do you think is applicable to more people? Which of these two do you think is easier to abuse?

If you're going to go on a grand crusade, go on one that actually matters.

That is my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't understand why non-enforcement of the voter ID law would cause disruption. Wouldn't it just mean doing the election the way they've been doing it? They haven't removed the mechanisms around the voter cards or anything.

10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

That is one of the reasons, I believe, there was such a big push to get these laws passed and implemented by the time the mid-term election cycle started.

I'd assume you're operating from the premise that jurisdictions would use what has existed as a fallback measure to ensure as many people who do have the right to vote are not denied the ballot.

Which is exactly why, if the laws are implemented, that the preceding standards (which were never the problem they were purported to be) could be ignored entirely.

The law is the law, remember?

Old saying amongst us race-baiting Negroes:
    N!9975s is guilty until proven innocent...white folks is '...catch me if you can...'

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I'm trying to understand whether the courts were effectively outflanked by the legislature and put in a position where their decision has genuinely come too late to stop the train, or if the Appeals Court decision is itself politically motivated to get in one election before the law goes into the dust bin of history (or perhaps to buy some time to potentially change some people's minds about the constitutionality of the idea).

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You guys will argue about anything. Who gives a damn. If you don't have an ID then get one, its no harder than registering to vote, plus when you get or renew your ID it comes with the added bonus of voting registration! Hurray! Sheesh SMH. What a waste of Tax dollars fighting crap like this in court.

We have turned into a country where people want to convict people based on a newspaper headline with out the basic constitutional right of due process or learning the whole story. We have incompetent people at the CDC not reacting properly to the Ebola virus. We are destroying our planet exponentially more each day. I can go on and on and on but you guys want to argue over if you should have to show your damn ID in order to vote!

What's really funny is that you people b****ing about showing your ID before you vote would be the exact same cry babies whining that the government didn't do enough to preserve the integrity of the voting process if anyone ever fraudulently used your identity vote and didn't have to show a photo ID.

#32 crash5179, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You mean like in 2000 in Florida?

Rocket River

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What's really funny is that the Republican Party is bending over backwards to stop people from voting so that more of their bible thumping anti-science ignorant schmucks can get into office and you think that's no big deal.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Just curious... Who will be checking the ID's at the polls?

16. cml750

cml750 Member

This is a good thing. It ensure the integrity of elections. I know I will get the usual "What voter fraud?" comments from my statement but consider this, voter fraud when and "if" it happens is never really noticed. There is no way to know for sure if or when it happens. There is nothing keeping me from borrowing my neighbors voter ID card who does not want to vote in a particular election and casting a vote for him without having to show ID's.

17. dmc89

dmc89 Member

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/richard-posner-dissent-voter-id

I applaud Justice Posner for showing that sane minds still exist (at least recently) in the GOP world like Jon Huntsman, Olympia Snowe, Orrin Hatch, et al.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As you are and what actually matters.. is your opinion.

Law that does nothing it claim to do, suppress voter right to votes and cost tax money to implement --- sound like something you are fine with. Good for you. We need more wasteful, political motivated laws. It's good for the country.

Everyone know what the GOP is after with all these restrictions. It hasn't been a secret, except apparently, Republican isn't aware of their own party strategy. How does that keep on happening?

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Witch trials on the next Republican agenda.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not sure how to interpret this half-formed bubbling of emot-tellect. But read this again:

Voter fraud doesn't exist in meaningful way, period. Voter Suppression laws are fake attempts to solve a problem that doesn't exist, via a mechanism that doesn't work. They are real attempts to suppress votes.