1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Countdown to Kevin Love Drama

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by larsv8, Nov 27, 2013.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You are likely overestimating how many teams would be willing to give up future picks and prospects for a guy with only 1.5 years left on his contract. A team won't be all that excited to trade for Love if they don't think they have a great shot to re-sign him. I think Cleveland, Detroit, and Washington might be willing to take the chance, but outside of them I don't really see any teams offering the Wolves great packages.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Instead of making up hypotheticals, why not just look at real-world actual examples of star players value as they come near FA? There has been plenty of examples. Howard, Harden, DWill, Melo just in recent years.

Ignoring the DWill trade for a second, since Billy King is r****ded and would even trade a lottery pick for Gerald Wallace. What was (at the time) the best prospect/pick that changed hands otherwise? You can argue either Gallinari, Kevin Martin, Aaron Afflalo, or Toronto's middleish lottery pick in a horrible draft year. Granted, Love's trade value should be higher right now(2 years from FA). But if you wait til the offseason, no team's going to give up super-prospects.

If 2011 Dwight Howard can't get Orlando a top pick or a super prospect, then no player can. Not even Lebron if he tells Miami he's 100% leaving after this year.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It seems like you hardly ever see him play. Love has a huge impact on every game he plays in.

if you want to talk Love down focus on his defense. His defense is not great, but he would be ideal next to Howard. Howard going for the block and love grabbing all the rebounds.

He really is a morey type player, he shoots threes, gets to the line a lot and is a great rebounder. All the putbacks that he has has a huge influence on the game. His post up is pretty good. He gets double teamed enough.

I'm a huge Parsons fan, but i would trade him if it meant getting Love (the trio of Harden, Love and Howard together with a defensive minded SF would be a championshipcaliber team).

Adelman really is not using that team correct, I have been saying this for years. Pekovic is one of the best post players, but Adelman hardly uses him. let's hope Love will leave.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Love is overrated. If you are really a top 10 player take your team to the playoffs at least once.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

When exactly did Harden hit free agency? I guess I must have missed that...

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think we'd definitely be in the running if he does end up wanting out. I don't see that happening until next summer at the earliest though.

See if you can flip Asik for an unprotected (or maybe top 3 protected) draft pick, then offer a couple of picks, Jones, D-Mo, and possibly even Parsons for Love.

7. clippy

clippy Member

No chance in hell any team is giving up a lotto pick for Asik, especially not this year.

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Not if kobe is still there.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You must not have watched the NBA for very long. When superstars change teams the trade are pretty much always quantity for quality deals. Look at the Rockets history for example:

Barkley for Cassel, Horry, Brown, Bryant

T-Mac for Francis, Mobley, and Cato

Harden for Martin, Lamb, lotto pick

All trades of young upside guys for established stars. Plenty of other examples have been posted like Melo and D Will.

No one is saying make the offer today for Love, we are all waiting to see if the Wolves start crapping the bed and Love starts demanding a trade. That's when a package of Jones, Parsons and Lin/Asik would be compelling because the Wolves would rather get some young assets then nothing.

I don't think it'll happen either but it's fun to speculate.

10. clippy

clippy Member

I've probably been watching the NBA since before most of this board was born. The common denominator in almost all unbalanced trades is a "free agency or bust" situation, which is not the case here since love is locked in until 2015-16. Also, the assets offered are picks, youth, and capspace since teams looking to deal stars are almost always trying to unload and rebuild. The proposed trade doesn't give this, unless you guys are really comparing the upside of Jones to a lotto pick in the best draft in years.

11. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Rockets fans be like oh lets trade for Lebron we have Asik/Parsons/Lin/1rd, no way Miami turns that down.

LMAO sad but true, this board is very delusional when it comes to trades.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I, for one, cannot see why CF members are so enamored with Love given his recent injury history. I guess the pain of the Yao/T-mac years has faded quickly.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Minny has two more years to get him help.

14. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

If they were smart they would trade Rubio for Rondo.

Rondo would make that team a playoff contender in the West.

Rondo
    Kmart
    Brewer
    Love
    Pek

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Is this right? According to shamsports love has a player option in 2015/16 that would give minny control until the end of the 2015 season.

If that's right minny only really has one year to convince love to stay and make moves to get him title contending help.

Hoopshype doesn't show the player option in 2015/16 though. That's extra year obviously makes a big difference with the leverage. I'm not sure why some posters on here think we can acquire him. I think we've got as good of a shot as anyone else.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's the Kevin Martin of power forwards. All offense and no defense.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah you think you sound smart.

and then you take a poll of every gm and ask if a kevin love in his prime would be a good trade for a kevin martin in his prime. and see what your answers will be.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

lol @ people not wanting Love cause he's not leading his team playoffs smh...If he was we would not even be having this conversation. So guess what? Love would make a great addition to our team whether or not you think he's overrated...

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I guess at least Rondo plays elite defense. But one of their big problems is Rubio can't shoot, and neither can Rondo.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

You know the biggest reason Love can't lead his team to the playoffs? It's because there are 8 teams with their own superstar who have a better supporting cast:

1) OKC (KD) with WB and co.
    2) Clips (CP3) with BG and co.
    3) Spurs (TD) with TP and co.
    4) Rox (DH) with Harden and co.
    5) GSW (Curry) with Bogut, Barnes and co.
    6) Dallas (Dirk) with Ellis, Matrix and co.
    7) Portland (LMA) with Lilliard, Batum and co.
    8) Memphis (Marc Gasol) with ZBO, Conley JR. and co.

Who does Love have with him? Rubio? Shved? LOL!