1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Zach Randolph Put The ROX Over the Top?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbal Christ, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...zzlies-also-considering-trading-zach-randolph

Looks like Hollinger is gonna start to blow things up over there and start over with his guys? I've always secretly admired ZBo's game. Guy rebounds tough, and he's a pretty good low post scorer. I wonder how his game would mesh with the current roster, and if Randolph is the PF that this team needs to make them a legitimate contender? 16.5 million is a bunch to have to match, and I'm not like Bimathug with the cap #s and stuff, but do any of you feel like this is move that Morey may consider?

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No, it's all smoke.

3. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I sincerely doubt that they'd move him. If they want to though, yeah, that would be awesome for us.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Zach doesn't run back fast enough on offense to fit our team.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

i thought about that, but maybe thats unfounded. i dont necessarily consider Aldridge or Love, fleet of foot. Im sure coach would adjust the offense a little if he had a 20/10 guy in the paint (not this year, I know, but you get the gist)

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Zebo would be that half court beast that Daryl Morey said the Rockets need. I would love to have him but he does not run a lot and has never been known for his defense. Add to the fact that he is not a spring chicken and I would be cautious about what I gave up for him.

7. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Zbo would be a great addition. Too good to be true though!

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Grizzlies are tainted too much choking on that team.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Do not want.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I feel like Asik would cover up some of Randolph's defensive lapses, not that he's Dream in the paint, but if they funnel the offense into him he would alter his fair share of shots. Forget about the other team getting offensive rebounds also, Asik and Zbo would swallow every single ball that comes off the rim.

Im sure its a pipe dream, Im just uber intrigued by the prospect, two lefty's ... one on the perimeter and one in the paint would make things quite uncomfortable for opposing teams IMO.

11. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

As good as Z-Bo is, he doesn't fit the style the Rockets play. Z-Bo loves the game to be slow down and grind out while the Rockets love to run. Z-Bo hates running.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Agreed, but if you have a talent that is that effective in the half court, could you not find a way to mix in both styles of play? Balls to the wall is fun, dont get me wrong, but it isnt necessarily conducive to championship basketball is it? I think that happens to be our style 'right now' because we have nobody to post up right now. McHale would probably like to slow it down a little, kind of like last year, but to his credit he's playing to the current rosters strengths. Again, Im not trying to be a dreamer, or some Zbo fanboy. I know this team needs a post presence. He's a pretty good one. Its nice to run some set plays, im pick and rolled to death already! LOL

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

don't agree, a team needs to have an identity and stick to it. Ours is run and gun and go balls to the walls. If we start mixing it, and then I think we won't be effective enough in either running or post. My opinion anyways

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hollinger is WELL documented as being very critical of Rudy Gay, and his major deficiencies. Given he's getting paid an all-star salary, and they are going to be in major salary cap hell, its Rudy Gay that's going to get moved.

They have an advantage over most NBA teams inside the paint. No way they are giving up Randolph if they have the ability to move Gay instead.

IF, for some reason Gay doesn't get moved, and they look to move Randolph you would have to think that Morey would be intrigued but also hesitant given the fit on this team(age, floor spacing, etc.), but yes he would be extremely intriguing to have on this team.

I have the feeling that he would give them the ability to go small quite a bit with ZBo at the 5 as the roller going to the basket. Also you could go big with him and Asik manning the paint. Still, at his age, he really only gives you 1 or 2 more years to compete. Getting that secondary star you would think they would want to be patient enough to acquire someone that have 4 to 6 years left in their prime instead of 1 or 2.

15. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Not a lot of good young bigs in the league right now that teams would be willing to give up. Fortunately this team is young, management can be patient and wait for that big to develop.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Here's my question: How much better is Zbo compared to Al Jefferson?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Find the next athletic Randolph!!!
    the old one is cool but we plan for future seasons

18. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Pushing for too much too fast. This team will hit its peak in 3-5 years, keep pieces together.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

"Considering" a trade sure doesn't sound the same as "trading."

Not that adding a fat, slow Zach Randolph who will be 32 years old in July yet make 50.8 million dollars over the next 3 seasons wouldn't be awesome.

20. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Wishful thinking, but I'd love the Rockets to somehow be a 4th seed this season with Memphis as a 5th, if nothing more than to see more cutaway shots in the playoffs of Randolph huffing and puffing down the court to try to keep up with Houston.