1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Westbrook be available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by copacetic81, May 7, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its not the Rockets choice to make. The Thunder will most likely have to look at moving a large contract to give Harden the max after next season seeing as though he will warrant that kind of money in free agency. The Thunder will have to move either Perkins and or one of Durant/Westbrook.

I believe what Presti will try to do is package something like Westbrook/Perkins for someone like Dwight Howard, and extend Harden. It makes the most basketball & financial sense.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The answer is YES: Harden is more valuable to OKC and for him to be paid RW just might be sent packing. Not predicting, I'm just sayin'...

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would be a smart move to package him and Perkins together for an elite Center if available. The only problem is there is only one out there right now, and Im not talking about Bynum. Sam Presti has basically till next February to make an offer to Orlando for Howard if he's still there in Orlando. Even then, you have to think about how far they go this year, and if there is a chance at a title next year with RW/Durant/Harden.

4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I think OKC would trade Westbrook before Harden.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I actually think, if they HAD to choose just one, the Thunder would be better off re-signing Ibaka and trading Harden. Harden is a very good player, but he doesn't bring enough to the table (that Durant and Westbrook don't already bring) to merit a near-max contract, especially not for a small market team like OKC. Ibaka, OTOH, brings defense (albeit a little overrated) and elite shot-blocking to the table. Plus, he can likely be re-signed for less than Harden, so it could be Ibaka + [Player X] in lieu of just Harden.

If the Thunder could get a very good low-post player (think Scola or better) for Harden (plus or minus players/picks on either side, depending on the caliber of player their target is), I think it would benefit them the most in the long run.

That is, of course, assuming that Clay Bennett doesn't just bite the bullet and pay EVERYONE, incurring significant luxury tax liability in a small market without a big local TV deal.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This League pays a premium for length, and a super premium for length with talent. SI will be paid.

IMHO Harden brings more than Westbrook to OKC, and Westbrook being odd man out is not only possible I'd consider it likely.

7. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

wait parsons and chandler are gay?

8. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

I meant kmart, parsons, and westbrook...I didn't know they liked men?

9. thething

thething Contributing Member

The Thunder for whatever reason seem to value Westbrook over the others. They could have had Chris Paul for him, but they declined that trade.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Better chance at Harden.

11. Mariachi ROCKET

Hard-On!!!! LMAO

12. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

That was a dumb move on their part. That move would have given them a legitimate shot at beating the Heat. It'll definitely be interesting to see how OKC plans on keeping their core together past this season.

13. monster

monster Member

Am I the only one who is really freaked out by the "hot wigs" comment? Think I'll stay off clutch for a few days.

14. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to REEKO_HTOWN again.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Only 1st team all nba or 2nd team all nba guys can get max now. Harden isn't close so he can't get that much. That's why love and westbrooks didn't sign for max. Unlike the rockets recent thinkings, other teams keep high end players and trade depth. Westbrook isn't going anywhere and neither is harden. They can trade perk,sefolosha type and sign harden and be ok. Those 3 give you the best chance to win a ring,not asset depth.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

this.

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

Definitely it was a dumb move. Anytime you can pair two top-5 players in the league together, you do it.

But it shows some insight into how much they value Westbrook. Maybe Harden, Ibaka, or Perkins leave, but not Westbrook.

18. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Why does it seem like every poster thinks that every player in the NBA is out there for the taking if the Rockets want them?

19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

This kind of thing is what forced me into the Hangout and D&D. Hey dudes, scola for lebron straight up fair deal make it happen moreys.

20. AXG

AXG Member

Even if he was available, there's nothing the Rockets have that OKC would want.