1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Could we say hello Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seven, Oct 17, 2008.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You aren't going to get any argument from me that brooks has a better offensive game than Alston, or more potential than Alston. That said, if Rafer can hit 35-38% of his threes this year i'd take it. Sure it could be better, but it's not hurting the team. However, alston runs the offense effectively and that's an area that brooks still needs work. Considering the team doesn't lack scoring punch in the starting five, at this time it's better to run alston with the first unit and brooks with the 2nd unit.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Hahaha

Welcome to the modern Sportscentre era.

3's or drives is all there is nowadays.

There are a few throwbacks with a midrange game (Rip Hamilton for example) but largely 3's and drives are all the rage.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Rafer has one GREAT quality- ball handling.
    Said it before, having a player that can bring the ball up without anyone stealing it from him must have some kinda calming influence for an offense and for a coach that I don't know about...

4. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

It's unfortunante. the pure lovers of our game are like a dying breed. it's either dunks or fancy moves. but guys like calvin murphy and kevin johonson had the whole repatoire. thats what brooks should aiming. get the mid range game going when you see screens and defenses in general sag off you to close you're dribble penetration.

5. redao

redao Member

All NBA PGs can do just that: bring the ball up close to the 3 point line without losing it. It is the lowest requirement for being a PG.

6. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

What about.....
    Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, TMAC, Kobe, Lebron, AI, Joe Johnson and generally just the upper echelon of Guards and SFs?

Oh the midrange game is VERY much alive.

7. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Rafer is a one man press break, thats something that some NBA starting PGs can't even do.

Trust me he is, ive seen him do so.

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Matt Bullard talked last year about when he was interviewing Aaron Brooks he was struck by his demeanor. He was very calm, very respectful and very polite, but Bullard could tell that he was also absolutely confident in his abilities.

A lot of people in this thread who are trashing Brooks seem to think that Rafer's good enough. Alston's way too streaky--when you add up his numbers over a season they're mediocre. And I have to wonder how many people really appreciate how valuable dribble penetration into the paint really is. That's something that Brooks (and Parker) bring to the table that Alston doesn't.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think sometimes players try to do something thats not natural. I also think posters on this board think about stuff that doesnt seem as logical either. There is a reason why the high % shooters that have ever played in this league were mid range guys. Even the smaller guys werent big 3 pt shooting threats. For the most part, bird,mullin,miller,stockton,jordan,kj,iceman,eddie johnson, i could go on and on, but those guys were killers from mid range. The reason is simple as the day is long. Most guy who are great shooters, were great shooters when they were kids. Not only that, they recognize that 15ft is closer than 23'9. When people actually wrap their mind around the concept that 23'9 is almost half of half court, then they can see it better. There isnt a scientist or math major in the world that can say a player has a better chance of hitting 23'9 vs 15 ft. So when people think or rationalize a 35% shooter from 3 is like shooting 50% from inside, it doesnt add up in the noodle. If that shot was so easy even uncontested, then guys would shoot a higher percentage. I would like to see brooks pursue the kj-murphy-stockton shot chart. he is so quick and fast that he will always be able to get to that range. The big guy guarding Yao will never come and contest that shot because then Yao will be butt naked under the goal. I agree Parker is a better finisher than Brooks, but parker kills teams when his 15 fter is going down. KJ and Stockton seem like they never missed from that range. Rafer cant shoot from there because he's a set shooter. I think Brooks wiill really challenge Rafer this year for pt. Once he proves he can hit that shot consistently, he will further chew into rafer's pt.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The midrange game, that's why Sam Cassell has had a job for so long.

11. icemanleung

icemanleung Member

i do think brooks will do more than last season.this guy gave a vivid description of what he had done in this summer by preseason games.yet he still need to learn how to pass the ball well and make opportunities for teamates.and a back-up may suit him for poor defence limited by his body.