1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could we say hello Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seven, Oct 17, 2008.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

This is my quote in the Thunders Game Thread:

I'm in the crowd that a bunch of you guys are too hung up on the classic point guard stereotype. I've also been baffled so many have already written off Brooks as early as last year.

In my opinion, all true Rockets fans should be pulling for Brooks to succeed, not Francis. Francis time has passed and all he is now is a potential band aid to a problem, not a long term solution. Brooks, however, is young and can improve and develop.

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The reason Alston will continue to be the starter over Brooks is because of defense. It's not complicated.

3. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

Not to nitpick, but isiah was a scorer , he got his assists too but he was a scoring guard . Chauncey also gets plays called and takes a number of shots ...

4. Tuan

Tuan Member

Sure the Bulls didnt have a pure pt guard, but they had PLENTY of guys who could handle the ball and create their own shots. Lets see, they had Pippen, Kukoc, Ron Harper, MJ, etc... Same thing with Detroit. All 5 of their starters are quality players who could get their own shots.

The Rockets needed someone like Rafer or else Tmac would have been the primary ball handler and scorer for the Rockets. Outside of Yao, nobody on our roster the last few years was able to get their own shot. Unless you wanted Tmac to be exhausted in the 4th quarter, we had no choice but to play Rafer.

Now with addition of Artest and some of the other guys we have added, a pure point guard isnt as needed.

5. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I say hello brooks goodbye rafer. Trade him for a back-up center cause his sucks.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

what is a pure PG? Someone that sets plays and not score?

7. ibm

ibm Member

brooks is progressing, and quick. me like it a lot.

he's a slasher and scorer, even though his "official" job title is a pg. "facilitating" ain't his stronghold. he's not the first of this sort, nor will he be the last.

brooks should be allowed to played to his strength. i think he can play the role in adelman's offense kinda like what bobby jackson did in his heydays.

8. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I'm not so sure about that. After seeing how the offense functioned without him in the playoffs last postseason, he's still a keeper on this team. Even if Aaron Brooks should become the team's starting PG, Rafer would still be a good backup. I think the only way Rafer would at least wind up out of the rotation is if Von Wafer, along with Aaron Brooks, winds up manning that position better. I'm not counting on anything from Steve Francis this season.

I think that there might be times when Coach Rick Adelman might play both Rafer and Aaron at the same time, like what we saw last night, with them both starting.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So u think a guy u drafted in the 1st rd benefitted from having a washed up jackson playing 20 mins in front of him? U think rafer could start anywhere else in the nba? Rafer is a backup,period. The deal with rafer is similar to when hayes started. He started, but every yr the team is trying to upgrade his spot. Personally, I don't think mcgrady worries about getting out of the 1st rd as much ashe does about winning a ring. I don't know of any pro athelete, and I know a few, who says to themselves, "I just want to get out of the 1st rd." That's not their mindset. The idea is to win. Jackson proved to be nothing but salary for a trade. He had no future with the rox and did nothing but stunt growth. At some point, just like adelman did with williams and bibby that u realize that u can only go so far with a guy. As much as the ball is out of rafers hands, he plays that bj armstrong/paxson type of pg. The problem is he's a poor shooter from everywhere on the court except for 20 games a yr.

10. joesr

joesr Member

Most? You should put you gave up on him instead of speaking for others.

I was a doubter on draft day but as soon as I watched clips from college days and his training camp vids I was a speed freak fan and his rookie year lessening appearance didn't change that.

He is still young and while not changing his game I hope to add stronger passing game to his set of skills as he matures into the NBA.

Heres for hoping.

11. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Most people here were calling a one dimesonnal Chucker rookie. a rookie. like you a rookie. lol. couldnt resist. how can you still be a rookie after being here this long. wait you're posts speak for themselves. lol

12. joesr

joesr Member

I concur, only thing is does Brooks know the plays as much as Rafer? Ima Rafer defender on this board but his showboating is pissing me off. Leaving you hand up when you make 1 outta 3 three's like yeah thats whats up is uncalled for.

Flame on

13. joesr

joesr Member

Dunno about the rookie part, probably cause I don't post so many like you? Doesn't really matter, doesn't make your post any better then mine?

Didn't realize 2 months was long...

14. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I can tell you know what you are talking about I was at the game last night and that is what I was thinking. With that speed if he can get to that 15 ft jumpshot he can setup his drives to the basket at will which will result in either a layup or an open 3

15. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Carr Bombed[What does it take to become a "contributing member"?.......the inabiltiy to edit posts is extremely annoying. Do I need to offer somebody a bribe around here or what? :D[/QUOTE]

Go to the "Contribution" link at the bottom of this page to make a contribution to the site since the site is non-profit. Any contribution is appreciated. Once you complete it then youwill have your edit capability.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I hope teams start to have nightmares with the number 22 in red flames the night before they play the Rockets.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

agreed, ab is playing like a monster right now...a damn monster! i really love this team, i hope wafer makes the squad. i like this team almost as much as i liked the 04-05 team with barry, sura, etc, that whole three finger shake thing was awesome (if yall remember that!) anyways this team has some good guys on it and it should be fun to watch this year...no first round exit this year, i guarantee it

18. DPballer

DPballer Member

I agree, I also took major offense to that. :rolleyes:

19. Laozi

Laozi Member

Aaron Brooks is playing awesome, Von Wafer is playing awesome. In the preseason hope springs eternal. I guess this is a bit better then the posters calling for Brooks to start over Rafer back in June.

20. HCoog

HCoog Member

Please Please do not bring Francis into this discussion. As bad as we want him to be the Francis of old he will never be and is done and doubt we will see him on the court. To much young talent to keep a spot for an injured player