1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could we say hello Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seven, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Classic

Classic Member

The guy's talent is undeniable. He is not a pure point guard though. Good thing we have Barry as well. With a Barry/Brooks back court, we have a great 1-2 pg/sg punch off the bench. Don't worry about Brooks running the point. We don't need him to with Barry. Brooks can do his thing and score. Barry can set up the offense. See ya Head!

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's becuz a lot of people on this board hadn't played hoops past jr high. DD can back me up, I wish we couldve given him mins instead of jackson. Once yao went down, there should have been a premium on his development instead of wasting time on francis or jackson. I was actually on record saying the rox shouldve traded rafer and turned it over. The spurs did it with parker because they knew daniels was a career backup. They were right.

If Brooks ever get a calvin murphy-kevin johnson stop and pop from 15ft, he will basically be unstoppable offensively. He has a special skill that that makes him a weapon. The sooner the rox realize this team would be better playing brooks than rafer, the better.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Heck yeah, clearly another guy who has played the game.....

You don't need a PURE anything...question???

Who was the Bulls pure PG in their championship years? Answer - yeah right...

That is the point, teams are all constructed differently and AB has skills that translate quite well to the basketball court.....

It was clear to anyone that doesn't have the attention span of a gnat that all he needed was confidence in his abilities to be a solid contributor and change of pace guy off the bench.

Does that mean he is all the way there...NO !!! He will have some games he is nails and others he struggles, but he is a viable peace to a championship team.....

Leeb.....you get it.....and I am glad you are here.

DD

#23 DaDakota, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thx DD- It amuses me how people like to talk up the virtues of rafer like he's all world. I will say he turned himself from streetballer to nba player. I do appreciate the fact he doesn't flip the ball over like francis used to, but his lack of consistent shooting both from 3pt range and mid range coupled with the fact he makes hardly any penetration passes should be enough. Now I'm not saying brooks is great at rafer's faults, but his end to end speed and and quickness, his ability to beat anyone off the dribble and his ability to get better is enough for me. We know what rafer is on his best days which are 20 games out of the yr. Brooks will replace rafer just as bibby replaced williams. Its just a matter of time to me.

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

The thing that makes me laugh is when people say "he's not a ture pg".......was Steve Nash a true point when he first came into the league?

This guy hasn't even started the 1st game of his second year and barely got any playing time last season, nobody has a clue what this guy is.......all you can say for sure, is he's a developing player, with developing skills, who's getting better day by day.......nobody knows what the final ceiling will be.

6. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Damn......"true PG", why the hell does this board NOT have a "edit" function.....it makes no sense!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes.....he was a great PG in college and has continued to get better...

I agree....calling him a failure after his rookie year is downright ignorant.

It does all you have to do is become a contributing member.

DD

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed that the "pure PG" talk is nonsense, especially in Adelman's offense and even more especially with guys like Tracy and Ron on the team. Assuming Adelman's offense clicks into another gear at some point this season, the "pure PG" talk will completely disappear if AB develops chemistry with the starters. On this team, we don't require a PG who dominates the ball. We need someone who can move without the ball, hit jumpers, attack and slash to the basket and pass decently.

9. DPballer

DPballer Member

Francis barely played so I don't know how he got into this. We weren't "wasting time" on Jackson. With Rafer hurt, he was the best (and only) option at PG. Brooks was totally lost and didn't deserve playing time. Player development occurs in practice and the summer. I'm sure 2nd round virgin McGrady would've been a big fan of trading away the best (and only) PG on the team for the sake of "developing our future". T-Mac would've been justified in asking for a trade right then and there. Thank God you're not Daryl Morey. And unlike Daniels, Rafer isn't a career backup.
    Ahhh... it's that time of year. The preseason bench fodder lovefest. Regular season can't get here soon enough!

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've got an edit function. Maybe it's only for "contributing" members.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Actually - you could widen the question to look at the last 20 years of NBA champions.

The only "pure PG" that you'll pull out of that mess is Isaiah Thomas - and, well, probably Chauncy Billups too.

(Tony Parker is more a scorer and facilitator than initiator...)

What's the fascination with needing a 'pure PG' anyway?

I was never down on Brooks - go read all the Brooks bashing threads, I constantly point to his stats since the all-star break.
    I refuse to post them again, but his production in limited minutes was great - so it's not like he's suddenly turned up this pre-season, he'd been doing it since the all-star break last season.

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

PHO gave up on him and he didn't develop into a true "NBA" pg until he got under the tutoledge of Don Nelson.

Just a reminder that not everybody is Chris Pual out of the box.

What does it take to become a "contributing member"?.......the inabiltiy to edit posts is extremely annoying. Do I need to offer somebody a bribe around here or what? :D

13. Landlord Landry

this is going to turn into the next Sage/Schaub thread.

I'm not impressed/disappointed by anything Aaron Brooks does in preseason.

14. HCoog

HCoog Member

Im not sure why everyone is talking about is he a true point or not it does not matter at all. We want someone coming off the bench that can add a spark and AB is that guy. Tmac and Barry can also distribute the ball well enough . Yes we dont have back up steve nash but do have a solid scorer who can drive the lane and will get better running the offense as the season progresses.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

These past 3 games were very encouraging. I don't know how this devolved into a discussion about him not being a true point guard - that's irrelevant. As long as one of McGrady, Rafer, Barry, or Yao are on the court with him, he can just focus on scoring. He has all the tools that we need at that position. He can shoot, penetrate, and most importantly gives us a change of pace.

I've said all along, I think Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry are the two biggest factors to our success this year. You know what you will get from just about everyone else. These are the two guys that can give this team that energy that really separates the great teams. I'm looking forward to more Morey drafts.

16. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Isn't it a strange feeling watching your team pull talent out of the draft......I almost forgot what that felt like.

On a side note, I really like Maarty Luenen as well...even though he isn't in our plans right now, he was just a good all around basketball player that could develop into a legit NBA player down the road.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am cautiously optimistic. It's good to see Brooks play well. But remember this is PRESEASON. The competition level and defensive effort aren't very high.

That said, Adelman might have found a shorter version of Bobby Jackson in his prime. And Brooks is supposed to be a better shooter than BJ.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Damn people, Brooks hasn't shown THAT much. He still gets caught in the air, tends to get blocked inside, and has problems passing the ball into the middle.

I'm happy to see that he's more confident in his shot and in handling the rock. Any progress from our players is great. But I'm quite worried about having him be the primary backup PG. I think Barry has actually been a better passer and energy guy than Brooks so far and we all know his shot will come around eventually. If Brooks had Barry's bball IQ we'd be set. I hope Brent's experience rubs off on him.

19. Gwill88

Gwill88 Member

I would still feel more comfortable with a healed Steve Francis in our lineup. I think AB is making some strides, but I like what a "healthy" Steve Francis can bring to the table (defense, athleticism, size, heart/tenacity).

Let's wait and see if Brooks will bring his A-game into the regular season. I wish him the best.

20. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

I am sure Aldeman never expected him to be a pure PG. Aaron Brooks's role is the spark plug off the bench. As for PG job, he will get his help from Tmac and Barry.