1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could we have gotten more for Scottie Quitten?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LiLStevie3, Oct 13, 2002.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I was just wondering if we could have gotten more than Cato, Walt, and fillers for Scottie after the 1999 season. His value wasn't as high as it was the season before, coming off a championship with the Bulls, but it was certainly signficantly higher than it is now. I know his large contract would have posed a problem, but could we have pried Jermaine O'Neal from the Blazers? Maybe we could have acquired a different young guy with big potential from somewhere else?

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I was hoping we could have gotten Brian Grant, before his knee problems.

I think the Rockets liked the Pippen deal, because we got mostly short-term contracts, which allowed us to have cap space in the summer of 2001, though we didn't use that space at all. If we didn't blunder with the Cato contract, perhaps we would have a marquee player from the summer of 2001?

3. Truth

Truth Member

Man, this is a forgone conclusion. We could've gotten O'neal, but we didn't. Big mistake. What in the hamhocks made you bring this up, when we have such a good team to look forward to? Please let me know.

4. timm

timm Member

I think that deal hurt us in the short run, but helps us in the long term.

Getting Jermain instead of Cato would have been great in hindsight.....but that would mean we would not be sucking up so badly last year and hence no chance to get Yao.

Also that move alloweed us to get Eddie............

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

IN what way? I know the Mil trade gave us a pick to trade to NJ. Did Por give us a #1 also?

6. Truth

Truth Member

Ahhhh. Very good points bro-ham!;)

7. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yeah we probably could've gotten more, but I'm happy with the team how it is now.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I remember the rumors that we were offered Wallace at the very beginning. Then Pippen completely trashed Charles and Portland knew that we were between a rock and a hard place. They backed out on the Rasheed deal and offered us Cato, Walt and the Plastic man.

I would have loved to have Rasheed, but I love out team even more now.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Taking into consideration what Pippen has done with the Blazers and how his game has declined so much, we were lucky we didnt wait a year to deal him or we might have gotten less.

10. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Well I mean it's only to be expected, he's getting up there in age now and he's playing on a very talented team. I think he's been doing an alright job, he may not do as much as he once did but the team is just simply better with him out there on the court.

11. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

LOL, my buddies and I were watching a Bulls video. We were reminded of how damn good Scottie was back then, so it got me to wondering if we could have gotten more for him. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about our team's future, but it got me thinking if we would have maybe even another piece to our puzzle instead of Cato. Perhaps if we did, things wouldn't have worked out, but hey, one always has the right to ponder.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

As R0ckets03 said, Pip forced our hand when he diised Chuck. He probably wouldn't have gone to a losing team either, further limiting returns for him.

There was some Rice/Horry talk circling around since Pip wanted to reunite with Colonel Sanders, but we thought that sending him there would have made the Faker$ a dynasty. Whod've thunk?! :eek:

DAMN, I really wish that deal did go down now. :mad:

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

I would've really liked to have gotten Jermaine O'Neal. I said that to some of my friends back when the trade first happened.

14. Timing

Timing Member

You know I could swear there were reports that the Blazers dangled O'Neal but that RudyT wasn't crazy about him as a player and that Les wasn't interested in the contract he was asking for, max money I think.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you're right Timing. Problems always arise when young players start asking for the Max without proving anything. O'Neal has done well and I wish we could have had him instead of Cato but I'm happy to have both Griffin and Ming on the team.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Hindsight is always 20-20. I, for one, am quite happy with the way it all turned out. Remember how Ming manhandled J. O'Neal in the world games in Indiana.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Rudy T probably didn't like him because he can't hit 19 ft jumpers, like our man Collier can.

:rolleyes:

I don't blame Les for not wanting him, if he had any input. O'Neal was considered by some to be a bust, as he played like 7-10 mins per game, if that. O'Neal had some crazy contract demands considering he was very unproven. However, Les then turns around, and gives that money to Cato???

18. codell

Great point. When O'Neil was with the Blazers, he wasnt nearly the player he was now. At that time, he probably wasnt an attrative player to us.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Man, it would be nice to have Rasheed, even with the Techs. But I imagine that if there is any coach who can calm a guy down, it has to be Rudy T.

20. codell

I think if Griffin develops the way we hope, his game will turn out to be very similar to Wallace's.