1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could the NBA lockout be Yao's perfect storm?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moahst, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Moahst

Moahst Member

While it's uncertain whether Yao will ever, no matter how much time he is given, recover from his injury waiting an entire year for the lockout to be resolved would be a great way to start. He's said before that he might have rushed his return, I think given last season's performance we can all agree that more time couldn't hurt. Would missing the entire 2011-2012 NBA season give Yao more than enough time to rehab his body and come back ready to contribute for the remainder of his career?

2. ThaShark316_28

Good point. We'll see though.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think coming back is the issue. How long he'll last after that is, however.

4. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

With all the youngsters we have on the team compared to older teams, this is more of a benefit for the Roxs. As for Yao, hopefully this gives him plenty to recover and let his bones heal.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yao needs to retire.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

It's good for guys like Yao and Greg Oden. More time to recover without missing more games.

7. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i dont understand why oden cant plays on his leg since he has a spare.

1 person likes this.
  8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

How long he'll last shouldn't be an issue if you got a whole season to rest. Should it?

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No.

He would be 32 years old when the season started and he would have not played meaningful NBA minutes in 3 years. If an injury requires a 3 year rehab time, and you're in your 30's, and you're 7'6....you should probably call it a career.

He's done. I love the guy, but he's done. Clutchfans really needs to accept this inevitability. The sooner the better.

10. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I will stay a believer.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, seriously, rehabbed right past his prime. If he keeps on playing, I bet he will be rehabbing til he's like 40 and we will still hope he can come back and be effective.

12. rocketsmetalspd

After this one last attempt. Let us see what he can do once this season gets going and by the looks of things it will be a shorten season like in 98-99 season. Yao will have plenty of time to get to the point where he can attempt another comeback. I hope he can do it but it will be a long shot.

13. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Great thought I just kept thinking about the negatives. If we can figure out away to allow our players that need full-time weight programs Hill, Thabeet, Chase, Parsons and let Yao recover and this season is completely canceled it would suck for the draft and the fans, but next season a major miracle Yao can play from day one we would be seriously dangerous.

14. nebula955

nebula955 Member

I don't think the time spent not playing the game will hurt that much. He'll be lacking defensively, but his offense won't really regress at all.

15. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Haters gonna hate.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yes, it should be. Why wouldn't it be? His whole problem is the pounding his foot takes from playing. It's not like he's going to be literally getting more rest, as in not doing any work outs or playing ball. He actually has to start doing more from now on to get ready and rehab back. If the lockout goes into the season, all it'll do is give Yao the opportunity not to miss games officially and possibly start with the team from day one, but it shouldn't determine when he's cleared for full contact or when to start new workouts. Fans are assuming, for example, if Yao is ready by November and the lockout ends in Feb, that he'll just push it back and get dec and jan off...but thats counterproductive for Yao. If he's ready before, then he needs to keep going to be ready for a possible season. If he's not ready before, then he has to stick to his timetable.

The only way it may not be an issue is if the lockout goes deep into the season and then Yao only has to play half a season or even less. Then it lowers the probability of getting injured again, either by a freak accident or wear and tear, but the important thing to remember is that it still won't say much about his long term health. He needs to go through a good season and half, including playoffs, to show his foot is making progress andor healthy.

17. DumDaDumDum

DumDaDumDum Member

I fail to see the hate in that comment...

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Could NBA lockout mean no NBA 2k12?!

19. Damion Laverne

Yao would need to get down to a playing weight of like 275 lbs. because his feet seem small for his frame.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's a blessing in the skies!