1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could McHale coach Jeremy Tyler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Believe, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jogo

jogo Member

This is spot on. We didn't draft centers for years because of Yao. We need to make up for lost time. We have not gambled in the draft for a while and it shows. This draft should be boom or bust: Biyombo, Harris, Noguiera (if he stays), Kanter (if possible), etc. Please don't draft the "safe" juniors and seniors like Vucevic, Singleton, etc.

We've worked out mostly PGs and SFs/SGs. If we don't pick at least one center (I hope we pick 2) then we don't get it. You can't get a good C through free agency, the draft is the way. Say hello to Chuck starting and Miller/Thabeet/Hill backing him up.

2. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I like the Qyntel Woods comparison.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What's so hard to understand about it? I think it's safe to say most people believe Jeremy Tyler is NOT a legit big. Why on Earth would we HAVE to take him at #14 when the two biggest NBA draft sites have him going in the second round?

4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If one of these players (Valanciunas, Motiejunas, or Biyombo) is still on the board at 14 I would take any of them over Jeremy Tyler.
    I would only take Jeremy Tyler at 23 if he is the best player available though I would prefer to draft Marshon Brooks or Nikola Vucevic.
    The 38th pick is the only pick I see us using on Jeremy Tyler if we get lucky and he is still on the board and thats if we dont use that pick to move up.... Then again if we use the 38th pick to move up most likely its not to draft Jeremy Tyler.

Jeremy Tyler= Stromile Swift

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A good write up on Tyler. Also posted in the college section.

http://www.nbadraft.net/jeremy-tyler-enigma

You can't tell me that McHale can't make this kid better than what he is. Especially on a team with Chuck, Pats and Lowry. Plus, we always have Hakeem in our corner.:cool: If this kid is available at 23, they gotta get him.

6. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

He could very well end up another Q Woods... that is where the gamble comes in.

This is what the workouts and interviews are for. If he seems like a headcase More most def would not draft him. If he seems coachable and maybe just needing some direction, then the skills and potential would come into play.

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Are you guys watching highlights that I'm not? I just don't see the potential. If he were even Kelvin Cato-esque, I'd be more down. I don't expect the world from a late 1st round big men. These clips should be a collection of his shining moments and I don't think I've watched one single moment from him I thought was shiny.

Besides size, what does he bring to the table? I think if we draft a front court player of consequence, it'll be bc we traded up to nab a guy like Cousins. I'd avoid taking a flier on him like they was pox blankets.

If we do draft him with the 23 pick, I hope I'm wrong.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

CD coached Hakeem, and he already works for the Rockets. All this McHale turning enormous piles of dung into gold talk really needs to stop.

1 person likes this.
  9. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Trade up for Cousins?? What year is this again?

10. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. I didn't say that I would personally take Tyler at 14. I said that if Morey THINKS that he has talent that would TRANSLATE to the NBA, then you'd have to take him at 14. It doesn't matter if 28 teams think that he'll be a bust. If ONE team between 15-22 like him, then the Rockets would be out of luck if they also liked him.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

When one speaks of immense physical talent and ability combined with being a knucklehead? Harold Miner comes to mind.

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

We are forgetting one thing. McHale was brought in as the head coach. Not his job to be doing one on one drills with big men. if he is waisting his time doing that, we will definitely be in the lottery next year. So my answer is no. In another world maybe yes. McHale probably wouldn't interact with this guy until he was "game ready". Better get some good assistants to develop our big men. Give Hakeem whatever he wants to work with them. Sad thing is, management probably only needs to ask.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Tyler would be a reach at 23, but I think as far as gambles are concerned that's a great gamble at 23.

Taking at 14 is ridiculous, he's shown too little to be a lottery pick. I'd rather get Jimmer or Tobias Harris at 14.

Most people here forget, the most important quality about big men isn't the scoring ability, its the defense and rebounding. That takes discipline, intensity and guts. Guess what tyler lacks? Worst case scenario is you have an Eddy Curry situation.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree. The rockets could've had a guy low in the draft 3 yrs ago who could blk shots,rebound,alter shots, and finish around the basket. I read on thi board about being a head case ,lazy, and everything under the sun. Yep,that's the same guy people want today to do some of those same things. His name, deandre jordan of course.

What most on this board try to undervalue is maturity. Some guys,especially big young guys mature a later than some. When you take a big atheltic guy with a certain skillset,it may take a few yrs of development. Taking jordan late 1st would've been low risk, high reward just as taking tyler will be low risk,high reward. If he flames out, it was a low first rd pick, but if he turns out to be that guy to reach his talent level,then its beautiful. Jermaine o'neal was drafted in the 20 and he was a high end player for a number of years. At this point, the rockets really don't have any game changer type talent except maybe thabeet and williams. That's not to say those guys will get to their ceiling,but they still have time on their side. The rockets aren't anywhere close to contending for anything anyway.

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

If this is the case, let's stay away from dumb and move on... We need shooters at all positions that make free throws. Dallas proved a team that can shoot can win.

FYI, Jason Terry was the MVP of the series... Y do people let him go right and pull out. It's automatic.

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

If we draft Jimmer Maloney, i'm done watching and rooting for the Rockets... We have to stop with the love for the slow, too short, no D shooting guard.

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Disagree, it is his job to provide his low post knowledge to our big men who need serious development (Thabeet, Hill, PPat, Yao)... There is no use in hiring him to be coach if he doesn't put his best talent forth.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree. As head coach, he would be around too much not to share his low post knowledge with the young bigs on the team. People who think that he won't do that one on one with a player during a full season are delusional and probably just hating.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As far as Tyler goes. He alraedy has a developing shot from 12-15 feet from the basket. He has been coached by and very close to an ex-coach from the Spurs organization. At 19 he is already showing good post moves. Most of all, he seems intelligent enough to be coached by one of the best in the game. Guys, we are talking about a 19 year old who has already admitted to making mistakes in the past( which is actually kinda funny when you think about it ).

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

FWIW I think Tyler has a bigger chance of making it than Demarcus Cousins. Lets be real, if you took Cousins out of Kentucky and placed him in a team full of angry turks he'd probably react worse than what Tyler did (cry in his first game). I'm just not sold on taking him with the 14th pick. 23rd though would be great spot when you consider the risk/reward.