1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Larry Sanders be on Rockets Radar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Doesn't height to the shoulders + wingspan = standing reach?

2. opticon

opticon Member

I dont think so. For example Rondo has freak wing span of 6 '9 but is only six feet tall. Some one who is say 6'5 in height but 6'6 in wing span would have a higher standing reach then Rondo even though Rondo has the long wing span.

Thats one of the reason Rondo is so good at on the ball defense, he has the foot speed to cover alot of ground and the length to help keep the defender in front of him

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very good observation. To me wingspan is much more important than standing reach.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

It depend's IMO in the front court standing reach is more important given that it leads to defensive/offensive rebounding and altering shots(ex. Lakers, Andrew Bynum 9'4 standing reach and Pau Gasol 9'5 standing reach ).

With that said, I can see how a long wingspan can be more beneficial on perimeter when it come's to on the ball defense and other things of that nature as pointed out by "opticon" ...

--RB

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't know much about this guy, but he sounds like an interesting prospect.

DD

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I wish we could get another higher pick without giving up our current pick.

We keep the 14th pick, but somehow get into the top 10.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Wingspan is important to perimeter players, but it doesn't help judge someone's ability to rebound or block shots, standing reach does, which is what you want from the frontcourt guys.

9. jump shooter

There is a word in basketball called "TIMING". You either got it or you don't. Have seen many stiffs with long standing reaches, who couldn't rebound or block a shot to save there lives. Standing reach is great to have, but its a small part of blocking shots and rebounding. Wingspan in either the frontcourt or backcourt in my view is most important.

#49 jump shooter, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Our best chances are with Minny and New Jersey because they have multiple picks.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Two of the best examples where wingspan + timing can overcompensate height or standing reach:

Ben Wallace
    Dennis Rodman

12. jump shooter

Agree

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

WOW... with all the crappy threads on here you took the time write acrappy post to polute this thread.

This a legitimate thread with some speculation and a lot of research to back up why I believe Sanders would be a good choice for the Rockets at 14. True it is speculation but with 999 threads on why Chris Bosh's love of barbecue and mexican food means he is a lock to pick Houston, I think you can cut this thread a little slack.

Yes this is my opinion and yes I would be very disappointed if the Rockets did not pick some big as opposed to people on this board who suggest Bradley or George or Hayward. Those would be nightmare picks to me. I do like Sanders at 14 but he is not the only pick I would be satisfied with. Of the bigs I think have a shot at being available at the 14...

Larry Sanders
    Cole Aldrich
    Patrick Patterson
    Ekpe Udoh
    Daniel Orton
    Hassan Whiteside
    Solomon Alabi

I would be happy if we got any of the top 3. They all have upside. Aldrich and Patterson will be able to come in and contribute almost immediately while Sanders will take a little Longer. Sanders and Aldrich bring more shot blocking and should be able to play some backup center as well. I would be happy with any of those three but I think Sanders has the most upside.

I think Udoh is an example of a man playing with boys. At 23 he dominated in college but he has less upside than all the rest and he isn't as atheletic or big as the top 3 I want. I like Orton's size but I just question his work ethic and maturity. So that is my reason for liking Sanders and posting a thread about a topic I wanted to hear some feedback on. Anyway in the end it is just my opinion as I have stated before. You can choose to totally disagree but I;ll let the monitors decide to close it or not while you compplain about it's existence.

1 person likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't know about anyone else but Sanders looks like Dennis Rodman to me. If he can be a Dennis Rodman type of player without the ...extracurriculars..sign me up.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Height to the shoulder (neck length has no effect in basketball), plus wingspan (less the +/- of chest measurement) = Standing Reach.

Both are contributing components. But vertical reach is a factor in basic defense and rebounding. You need to add vertical jump to indicate shot height and shot blocking.

[​IMG]

16. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

For rebounding, shot blocking/altering -> Great reach is important

For perimeter defense -> Great wingspan is important

Someone with broad shoulders could have great wingspan and only have average reach.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Legitimate? Are you kidding? You took an article about Sanders canceling on Memphis and then vaguely tried to connect it to the Rockets. There is ZERO Rockets connection in that article. At least with Bosh we all know he's the Rockets #1 target.. we don't know anything regarding the Rockets and Sanders.

I'm glad you took the time to research and base your opinion off that -- there's nothing wrong with that. But we have an entire forum DEDICATED to just that, which I linked you to. Furthermore, we have an entire thread about prospects canceling on Memphis, which I also linked to.

I don't have anything against this thread, I just think it's in the wrong place. I come to the GARM to read about things happening with the Rockets.. not posters starting threads on why they want this guy over that guy. That's what the NBA Draft section of the BBS is for.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Standing reach or wingspan. Go with whicever one you prefer. The point is, they are both used to measure arm length, which is more important than simply looking at a player's height.

Personally, I prefer standing reach. If you throw a knuckle-dragging neanderthal out there who has a 7'6 wingspan... but he's only 5'11", he's still going to have a shorter standing reach than a proportionate 7 footer with a 7'0" wingspan. That is a cartoonish comparison, but you get the point.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have an NBA Draft section of the BBS?? :eek:

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

No one is forcing you to read it. Instead you keep coming back. Did you think this thread was going to change since the last time you visited. Will let me be the first to tell you it didn't...

#60 Old Man Rock, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010