1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Josh Becket be coming to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Roc Paint, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

"The Marlins cut Josh Becket's salary by 12 percent, the maximum allowable for a player not eligible for arbitration and free agency.

Becket went from $1.725 million last season to $1.509 million. Worse yet, they have made no attempt to offer him a long-term contract.

So maybe he'll end up joining Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens in Houston, after all."

-Richard Justice
    Houston Chronicle

And I thought things couldn't get any better for the Astros starting rotation. :)

#1 Roc Paint, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Dream come true if that happens. Offer them Doggy or whoever it takes. He's the man.

3. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

I don't think the Marlins are in the mode of adding payroll.

4. Nomar

Nomar Member

We would probably have to give up Berkman or Miller plus 2 or 3 high level prospects.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Or we just wait til he's a free agent.

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Coming from such a reliable source as the Houston Chronical, this has to be true;)

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's just speculation at this point...

but this wouldn't happen through a trade...why would the fish trade a guy who can pitch so well for so cheap next season? the implications are for the free agent market next winter. if he feels disrespected, no way he'll be a marlin again. see darryl kile.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If I were a betting man I'd guess that he'd end up in Yankee pinstripes if he's a free agent.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Houston Chronical hmmmm?:confused:

Anyways, It would be great to get him next season when he is a free agent. Clemens retires (he is only on a 1yr deal right?) and Becket comes in....wow. That would be sweet.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Or Clemens hangs out and mentors him......with Ryan giving him some pointers....oh yeah....

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

It was a very rare occurence that Drayton actually went out and spent money this offseason. Even when he did, it wasn't until after he traded our closer. As nice as that would be to get Becket, I doubt there's any way we get him unless McLane sells the team first.

12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

the marlins control his rights for a number of years i think. there is no way he goes anywhere for awhile.

13. MadMax

yeah...so rare that the last time it happened was a whole year ago when he added jeff kent. selective memory is awesome!

14. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I say we start a campaign to get him here. I already shout him out in the astros song, although it's sneaky and hidden in a round at the end of the song. When we play it live we have a 4 part harmony after the song is over that begs him to come.

Let's make it fashionable for local talen to come home.

Hell maybe it will transcend into collegiate football and some of our boys wll stay here. Make UT, A&M, Tech, UH, etc... the powerhouses they would all be if the locals stayed true.

On Beckett I say everyone start making signage now for Astros home games at the park formerly known as enron (TPFKAE). "COME HOME BECKETT"

That's what the bass head is gonna say when we play out. Are you in???

chance

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Haha...well he needs to be more like Mr. Steinbrenner...Besides Kent and Pettite (Roger doesn't really count) he could do a little better. It will be interesting to see how what we do with Oswalt, Miller, Berkman, Dotel, etc.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

are you saying that the astros get rid of biggio or bagwell to pay his fee.

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

chance.. a campaign would be good.. get his name mentioned enough by astros fans in song, radio, signs etc and I'm sure before long you would have his family asking him to come home etc..

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why doesn't Clemens count?

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

Because Drayton is a cheapskate ....errrr .....i mean .......Billy Wagner ..........errrrr ................

20. MadMax

because when you really dislike someone you have to discount anything they do.