1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could James Harden lead the Rockets to a Championship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valen, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Could James Harden lead the Rockets to a championship?

1. Yes - Harden will because his MVP caliber player.

113 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. NO - Harden is another Carmelo Anthony with worst defense.

92 vote(s)
    44.9%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden has improved so much over the years - it would be stupid not to build around him. He just needs the right cast around him and the right coach.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Harden just had a season in which he put up numbers only Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan and LeBron James have matched... He is a megastar! But there were just to many nights where he was being asked to carry the entire load offensively.
    I dont care what anybody says, this seasons failures are not on James, the team around him was shaky from the start and nobody else on the team put together a consistent stretch of great basketball this year.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I strongly doubt he can but what's the alternative? You don't get rid of top five players who are in their prime as long as they want to be on your team. So we continue to roll the dice with him and hope he does what is highly unlikely, change who he is as a person and a competitor.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I believe he can, if he played like he did last year.

He has the talent and skill.

Of course that requires him getting in shape and giving a crap about basketball.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No he cannot. He handles and needs the ball too much to be effective. Not to mention his lack of defense.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Harden could be the best player on a title team but he wouldn't be leading anything but his entourage through the club.

#46 CometsWin, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. RESINator

RESINator Member

He is not a leader.

Believe it or not you can be a great player but not a leader. Just look at Melo.

8. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

If we install a stripper poll inside the locker room, yes. If not, no.

9. lastreg

lastreg Member

The real problem is not how good or how bad his defense is. Nobody wants to play with him, that's the real problem.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This makes sense, but we as Rox fans hope he can be better or gone in 2 years.

:)

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not entirely true, if he is starting to decline, or in time does not want to play here, showing signs of fatigue, apathy, does not care for us

We let him go in 2 years

12. seeingred

seeingred Member

absolutely. just waiting on his Phil Jackson and his Pippen.

13. ibm

ibm Member

jordan, you mean? :cool:

14. ibm

ibm Member

thought i was the only one...

15. Valen

Valen Member

I'm really surprised that 67% of the people here believe Harden win lead the Rockets to a championship. Remember, Rockets will have to beat either Warriors or Spurs or both and defeat Lebron's Team to win a title. I just don't see that happening, esp since Harden doesn't play defense and has high turn-over rate.

If I was GM, I would trade Harden for Ben Simmons and build a whole new team and hire a great coach to mold the young team into a power house like the Warriors and Spurs where everyone will share the ball and play defense. If someone slacks off on defense like Harden does, he'll get traded immediately.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

60% of the fanbase does not have any vision, I cannot blame them, they are just fans.

If you can anticipate what is roughly going on in 2 years I think a total rebuild is needed.

Good point, Valen (High priest)

17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Could and would are very different.

Of course he 'could', but 'will' he?

I have a lot of doubt. Will need a lot of help.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agree with you... I hope that Morey pulls a Herschel Walker on some team.....

T_Man

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Lead" in the sense of be the best player of the team.

Anyone with Harden's talent could take a team to a championship. It's a matter of what TEAM he would have and how much he would care about winning.

Harden is not a leader -- not until he matures more, if he ever would. But if the team had a true leader, be it the coach or a tough player, who Harden could respect, then he could thrive. I doubt that Harden would respect the leadership of a role player. Our problem now is that the other star player isn't a leader either.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

In a season with chemistry issues the dude has made an effort to show that he's separate from the team as opposed to part of it. Doesn't even take the team bus, its pretty ****ty. A leader would try to bring everyone together, not because he liked them, but because he wants to unite them for a common goal.