1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Horford injury lead to Asik-Millsap swap?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTownChiTown, Dec 28, 2013.

1. HTownChiTown

HTownChiTown New Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...al-muscle-throwing-season-024053718--nba.html

Hey guys, I've been a lurker on Clutchfans for awhile, but I finally made an account! Looking forward to contributing on the site. :)

Reports have indicated that the Hawk's Al Horford will likely be out for the remainder of the season with a torn right pectoral. Will this injury make the Hawks more willing to do an Asik-Millsap swap? Without Horford, the Hawks are a fringe playoff contender at best, even in the weak East. Even if they do make the playoffs, a quick first-round exit is eminent. By swapping Millsap for the still-sidelined Asik, the Hawks can tank the rest of the season to secure a much coveted lottery pick in the 2014 NBA draft. Next season, the Hawks can move forward with a core of Asik, Horford (sliding over to his more natural PF poisition), Teague, and their 2014 lottery pick. The Rockets, of course, get the much-coveted Millsap to play alongside Howard.

Cheers.

3 people like this.
  2. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

If Asik was healthy maybe, but I doubt Atlanta will give up a starting PF for Asik. Most likely Atlanta would give us Elton Brand, Demarre Carroll, and Gustavo Ayon.

3. smr6

smr6 Member

With Horford out Milsap is their only consistent offensive option. I think it makes it even less likely they do this trade now unfortunately.

4. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Nope. Millsap is good, but he isn't a star. No way we trade Asik for a tweener forward when we already have a pretty good one in TJones.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Let's keep the guy that's pouting and complaining over a near all star PF!

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Good first post,

They would probably consider but not right now with Asik having a knee problem, maybe if he shows he's healthy and can play without the knee giving him problems by Feb. deadline

Cavs would probably take a unhealthy Asik since they have someone to start until he's healthy.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I take you haven't heard of Jeff Teague and Kyle korver.

Also, OP, the hawks would be a fringe playoff candidate in the west but have a great shot at top 5 in the east. It honestly depends a lot on the direction the GM will go. He seems shrewd enough not to sacrifice the future for a win-now opportunity, but I'd imagine the city is starving for some post-joe johnson/josh smith playoff success.

It seems the cavs situation with bynum will be the first domino...

9. Swedish_Rocket

They're like 3rd in the east, i think its too late for them to tank now and trade Milsap

10. monk92

monk92 Member

I doubt they would give up millsap now especially after Horford's injury. I think an Asik for Korver deal might work if we get the nets pick as well. I still wouldn't be surprised if morey pulls off Asik and Lin for D Will or Deng somehow.

11. Doctor Serious

What about draft picks?

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Korver is one of their most important players. They won't trade him.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why didn't we just signed Milsapp when we had the chance?

People been talking about Milsapp and LMA for years now.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We didn't sign Millsap because we used the cap room that would have gone to Millsap on signing Dwight Howard.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Cause we were busy trying to sign someone named Dwight Howard?

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

do we really need millsap? isn't tjones doing a good job at pf?

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i actually wanted morey to use the cap space for iguodala and millsap
    oh well

18. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

No, TJones is going to be better than Milsap in a year or 2,what we need is another Asik,a big man that can rebound and defend to back up TJones and D12.

1 person likes this.
  19. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

I'm not sure they wouldn't do it. Their season is over and if they get Asik and lose Millsap, they can finally play Horford at his actual position next year. The Hawks aren't attractive to free-agents right now and that was proven last year when they had enough capspace for 2 max guys and ended up with Millsap to show for it. People say it's too late for them to tank now, but that also means they can't hope to rebuild through next year's draft class. It's also irrelevant, because they don't own their first round pick anyway.

This means that Atlanta, right now, can't improve through either the draft or free-agency. What other option do they have except accepting that and trying to shuffle their roster around until it clicks? Horford has been demanding to play the 4 next to a real big for ages now. Accept your fate this season, trade Millsap for a starting center and wait for Horford to recover. A torn pectoral isn't career-altering for a big, like a knee would be.

Teague-Korver-Horford-Asik are already good enough for homecourt advantage in the east and you're one SG away from a pretty much guaranteed 2nd round appearance. After that it's either the Pacers or the Heat, which is probably game over, but the same thing applies to the vast majority of the league against those 2.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Which would keep us as pretenders?