1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could a trade make us a contender this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

The general consensus on this board (and among many sports writers) is that this team features arguably the best set of role-players available in the league and is simply missing a "go-to" type player to buy into the system, lead by example and come through in crunch time. Another consensus would be that this year is more about player development than winning and that our relative level of success is simply icing on the cake when compared to the progression of our young studs.

My question to the board is this: what (if any) trades could transform this year from a throwaway development year into one where we're actually thinking playoff run? I'm talking trades in the realm of reasonable possibility here (no Cook+fillers for LeBron).

What if we manage to pry Bosh away from the Raptors? Will we still be able to maintain a reasonable amount of talent after such a trade to be in contention for more than just a first round bounce?

Even more intriguing is what we could possibly get for McGrady, because we're losing nothing and possibly adding star-caliber talent to our already solid core. Iguodala and Dalembert, though undesirable from a contract standpoint, addresses this roster's two glaring deficits. Butler is also a very solid player who would fit well in our system, IMO.

Simply put: I'm wondering how far people think this team can go, given the right trade. It might just be wishful thinking... but after the Gasol trade, I feel that if the right fire sale presents itself, things could get interesting.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Without Yao, I don't think we can be true contenders. There is a better chance that a trade could make us worse. Not every trade works out and you put things like team chemistry in jeopardy when trading away or adding new pieces.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Maybe not 1 trade but if we make 2 the way the article's have been suggesting that could possibly bring us back to the title contender convo.

Bosh+Butler= Contenders

IMO

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

If the trade only involves Dorsey, Ariza, Cook and tmac.
    I dont want to see this team broken up.

5. HayesDPOY

HayesDPOY Member

Raptors has been a scrub team for years. Bosh cannot make Rockets a contender either.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I think if we got Iggy and Sam D, we could be contenders. I doubt we would make it out of the WCF, but I would bet we could make it to the 2nd round again for sure. It really all depends on who we play in the first couple rounds. I think the only team that would have the upper hand would be LA. Other than them, I think we have as good of shot as anyone else.

7. redao

redao Member

Yao for Gasol
    TMAC for Pierce+ Rondo

Gasol
    Scola
    Pierce
    Ariza
    Rondo

Bench: Battier, Landry, Brooks, Lowry, Hayes

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

How about we trade for James too? Why not throw Bosh into the mix as well.

9. Manos

Manos Member

I disagree. Since the Raptors don't have the players/chemistry/coach that the Rockets have, I think that saying Bosh moving into a new situation with new personnel/coach would yield the same results as he's had in the past with the Raptors is a mistake. How good were the Grizzlies with Gasol as there cornerstone? Move him to better team, better coach and Lakers go from the middle of the pack, to the champs.

10. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I tend to agree with you. If we can get Dalembert committed to playing D, snagging rebounds and not disappearing for stretches as he tends to do, that team could be dangerous. And we all know what Iggy's capable of. The only person I can imagine being adversely affected by the addition of Iguodala would be Ariza, because his touches would go way down.

11. redao

redao Member

Bosh and James are not proven. They did not get rings. They are pretenders.

for us to contend, we need to disassemble other contenders like Lakers and Celtics through trades or there is no chance.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You would think he would be use to it after playing with Kobe, but I imagine going from the shadows tothe spot light back to the shade would be hard on anyones ego.

Especially since I think we should bench Ariza if that happens, although not right away. Brooks, Battier, Iguodala, Scola, Dalembert. Maybe Ariza would start at 2, but I'd rather keep Battier in the starting lineup.

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

With this thinking, the only way to win a title is to have previous champinship players on your team?

14. Prince

Prince Member

A great question.

if we can use tmac to trade and upgrade our centers, i think we're a contender.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I think if we somehow get Bosh for Battier+Scola+Cook (or Ariza+Scola+Cook, preferably), and then get Iguodala+Dalembert for McGrady, we could really make some noise. I wouldn't say true contender until we get Yao back, but definitely top 4 in the West.

16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Hahahahaha!

Your attempt at realism falls short.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

This but I think we are dreaming. I dont see Bosh getting moved and jmo but I dont think Morey wants any part of Dalembert

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Bosh and Noah wouldn't hurt.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think someone's sarcasm meter is on the fritz....

At least I hope you're being sarcastic, redao is that you? :confused:

20. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Bosh+Iggy= C0ntenders