1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cosart/Hernadez/Wates Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jul 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the return for Cosart/Hernandez/Wates?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2014.
  1. Yes

73.8%
  2. No

26.2%
  1. Mattj

Mattj Member

Nothing is "special" about next year, but I would hope at some point they would realize that young bats benefit from being surrounded by legit major leaguers. JD Martinez sucked here and he's a functional major leaguer when he is surrounded by other good players. You can't expect Singleton, Santana etc to get good when they have poor offensive players around them.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The 2 sides of this coin really seem to come down to:

a) Is Cosart's future a #2 or a #3/4?
    b) Is Moran worthy of his draft slot (6th overall) or more like a future average MLer?

Personally, I'd peg Cosart as a future #4...he's shown some growth, but not a ton. Hasn't shown enough consistency, and can't go deep enough into games. Yes, he has looked solid given this team's mediocrity, but I'd just as soon have McHugh (not to mention the depth in the minors of guys like Folty, etc.) if I can get value back for Cosart.

On Moran, I think it's way too early to declare him a bust of any kind--we've seen way too many prospects develop late to make assumptions here. Given that there was any consideration of him at 1-1, and that he did go 6 overall...I'll give experts the benefit of the doubt and assume he's a high-level prospect at this point.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When talking about Moran's offense you have to take his league into account. For all the talk of the Lancaster effect, the Florida league is on the opposite end of the spectrum. The average OPS in Lancaster on average has been about 135 points higher than the OPS in Jupiter.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Jeff Luhnow said Peacock will take Cosarts spot in the rotation, as expected.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

People are sleeping on the fact that we get the 31st pick of the draft in addition to those players.

The return we got was insane. It's the Bud Norris trade from last year with much higher quality players returned out of the gate, an even higher compensation pick, plus an extra flier.

The Marlins are idiots.

6. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

So tired of watching guys come and go with all Houston sports teams.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's worthless, we can't sign our picks.

Seriously, I agree. We threw out high offers for Cosart and the Marlins took the bait. Fine with me.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah I think that comp pick money can be really important.

We know signing both of those top picks next year will be important, so it gives us a lot of money to play with even if we give them both close to slot.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hate we had to give up Hernandez. I was picturing him at ss and correra at 3B. Oh well

10. Mr. Clutch

Correa at SS and Moran at 3B sounds much better to me.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

Did you know who Hernandez was 3 weeks ago?

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'm sure they could slide him to 1B if Singleton flops. Then there's always DH... Not to mention the possibility of hiding one in LF. If a player can hit the manager will find a spot for them.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, it's a fantasy baseball trade. Might pan out but pushing the future father away. I think Cosart was a legit MLB starter, something that doesn't grow on trees.

I thought Kike was a real player, Bill Spiers type player. I think that might burn us a bit.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I have no idea why Ruiz's name is even being brought up.

You never turn down a quality prospect due to already having a highly touted one at the same position. Ever. Like any prospect, we'll be lucky if even one of them pan out to be a solid major leaguer. If both somehow do, Jackpot! Either a great DH or trade bait.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Cubs obviously dislike Starling Castro & Javier Baez. Why else trade for Addison Russell.

16. tomato

tomato Member

Can you tell which posts in this thread are made by people who went to Clear Creek?

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nope I didn't but kid has a good glove and can swing it.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not really. Most of the people upset are frustrated with the current state of the MLB team, and would like to see more efforts to make improvement at the MLB level sooner (i.e. - getting either young ready to go MLB players, or prospects on the cusp of making their debuts).

Having 4 picks in the top 40 overall picks next year, while creating a pseudo-wet dream for Luhnow and the rest of the front office (as they start to calculate those over-slot offers, and busting out the measuring sticks to see how big those UCL's are)... really does nothing for this team until ~ 2017 at the earliest (when this team is supposed to be good already), and even then that player would have been the fastest of fast-tracks.

Add to the fact that hitting on all 4 of those draft picks will be a long-shot... let alone there's the small little process of signing all of them that this team has to re-prove its ability on.

19. Major

Major Member

All of Cosart's peripherals are pretty terrible. Lots of hits, lots of walks, not many strikeouts. Really high WHIP. It seems like a longterm recipe for disaster, and his ERA this season is starting to show it. Maybe he develops over time, but all those peripherals were pretty bad in the minors too, so I'd be surprised if he becomes a top tier pitcher.

20. Mr. Clutch

What the heck is Clear Creek?

1 person likes this.