1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corvette Hits 200mph on new Grand Parkway Highway

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Majority of high performance supercars are midengine. I would argue most are AWD but that would get us into semantics.

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Might have hit 215 with less weight in the car .. the driver looks like the Michelin tire man

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if it's really priced that high it's just because it's a one of a kind well-known car. z07 will outperform it and will be well under $100k

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

$100,000 is not supercar level pricing. At $100k you are getting base 911s, M5, GT-Rs, etc. Those are not supercars.
    You couldn't find a true supercar for below $200k.

5. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

If I owned any of those cars, i'd sure call it "super"!

6. Yonkers

For sure. I love my M5 and 911. They make me giddy like a little girl everytime I get in them. But it's not like a McLaren 12C.

7. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

I usually hate Corvettes... but damn that is a nice one

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Correct, most supercars are AWD and a good chunk of them are mid-engine for sure.

I read an article on the car in the video and it was I believe $27,000 in add-ons not including labor. I'd imagine about $110-125k sticker price. Hennessey produces a small amounts of these every year, much like Saleen and Steeda do for Mustangs.

Audi R8 is about $115k, Nissan GT-R is $100k and the Ariel Atom is well under $100k =D

9. dragician

dragician Member

what's teh time diff between the first and the last one, probably 2-3 seconds, and you're paying 100K more...

10. Yonkers

You can argue the R8 is a supercar but the $115k is for the V8, which is sluggish for that level. I've never seen anyone even think to argue the GT-R is a supercar. You'd be a first and you'd be wrong. :)

11. Bandwagoner

Not a fan of automobile journalism?

Bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...lla-gt-r-supercar-stomps-ferrari-porsche.html

New York Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/latest-reviews/nissan-gt-r-fights-called-supercar-article-1.1310960

The Auto Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsZNZtaY7cA

Digital Trends

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/nissan-gt-r-to-get-hybrid-powertrain/

12. Yonkers

Oh, I'm well versed on all that. I love the GT-R. Godzilla's performance is outstanding. But I guess it comes down to the definition of supercar. For me it's not just performance but exclusivity. They make a ton of GT-Rs each year. Maybe you're right... it's a supercar but it's not an exotic. I usually think of them as one but maybe that's wrong.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Performance defines a supercar.

IMHO, the most badass supercar of them all is the Ariel Atom - and it is the cheapest.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6v4YNkurhLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SIiWhWpzFQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_jvHqB4ZxbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lTAUV1Yj4NE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The performance is undeniable, but damn if I don't want my supercar looking like a damn go-cart. :grin:

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Strange nitrous setup for such an expensive car -- he was driving with a finger or two through 4 gears.

I think in the past decade we have traditional super-cars and the addition of ultra-cars -- GT-R, 911, Audi R8, BMW M5, etc. = supercars ... Bugatti, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. = ultra-cars.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Was that a flock of birds he almost nailed at 197 mph around the 2:17 mark?

17. Yonkers

What a trip. As I started reading this, Flock of Seagulls came on Pandora. :grin:

18. Bandwagoner

I'm not a huge fan of the spar frame. That car is basically two motorcycles which is funny because the V8 version is actually two Hayabusa engines welded together.

As far as go carts go, I would take this little 1.0L in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

19. baki

baki Member

Ariel Atom is not a supercar, it's a go kart with a big engine.

20. baki

baki Member

+1. I see a lot of promotion for the C7, which is good for the company, but you have to be careful harnessing all that power through just the rear wheels.