1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corvette Hits 200mph on new Grand Parkway Highway

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Dec 19, 2013.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Waiting for da1.

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

He may actually rebut with high-speed trains, which unfortunately this country lacked the political foresight and budget discipline to implement. No, I'm not talking about for Houston (looking at you bus lovers), but say for the Northeast corridor where you have obsolete and clunky Amtrak.

I like having both options, but nothing beats reading a book or newspaper while sitting in comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. You can have a glass of wine in one hand and have no fear of it spilling on your suit jacket. You look out a huge window and realize that you're moving even though the cabin feels still and quiet; the countryside rushes by you at 200-220 mph. This experience is common in European and Asian trains.

Behind a car wheel, your vision narrows and your shoulder blades start to hurt at 200+ mph. A stiffness emerges in your wrists and forearms. The cockpit feels small and dark, and there's a loud and massive engine behind your back drowning out conversation with your passenger. Although there's a stereo, you don't dare listen to it because you need to focus ahead. Despite the best drivers and highways, more and more cars on the road means empty stretches become smaller and smaller, or god forbid careless slow drivers merging into your lane. And to park, you need to find somewhere safe where the car doesn't attract attention and can't get hit by door dings, people backing out, parallel parkers bumping your fenders, etc.

Options are lovely, but most prefer comfort and convenience. I can't wait when both become a reality for America's aging infrastructure.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

just wait until they come out with the actual performance Z07 next year

that'll shut the haters up

4. dragician

dragician Member

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I think that needs to be a bit bigger.

#25 Svpernaut, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. Svpernaut

The problem with the Corvette being considered a valid supercar is it can't handle corners. I'd like to see Chevrolet focus more on making an all around super car (ie - one that can turn).

4 minutes in.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g4CPBfpnye0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I got one them small boys and one them old Vettes.

Weird how the GTR crept in here... but I'd go with a GTR. The new Vette is the coolest looking one I've seen since 1972, except for the rear lamps. And even the C6 was a great bargain. But 4-5 years from now you'll be seeing these things all over the road. I hate that.

GTR is rare. It will always be rare. Rare is cool. I'd hate to be in the same car as some 55 year old stay at home blonde.

8. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

My buddy and I hit 192 mph on 59 south in his LS7. Never again....

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You couldn't be any more wrong about the new stingray.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2NjYGtxClsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I used to hate American muscle. I hate the concept of 'packing as much power as physically possible and don't worry about the chassis' line of thinking. The new Vette is a great handling car with some of the most advanced stability control, rear diffs, suspension set ups in the market.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

waiting for da1 to wake up from his faint

11. fallenphoenix

exactly, this ain't your grandpa's corvette.

12. Svpernaut

The ass-end still slides around in turns, and will until they make an AWD model... regardless of how much tech they use.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

and it still doesn't have much electronics compared to actual Supercars.

14. fallenphoenix

corvette isn't a supercar, it's just a sports car. for it's price it's an amazing machine.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It not being a supercar is the statement Svpernaut was defending. That is why I said "actual" supercars

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Haha, I like your take and agree.

17. Svpernaut

The Hennessey Stingray or whatever it is called (the one in the video) is priced at super car prices... or at least entry level, $100,000+.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just went to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky the other day. The new 'Vette is the first one I've actually said "damn, that is one good looking vehicle". Well, other than the 50's 'Vettes. :grin: Great performance, and now, great looks.

Of course, everybody knows Farm Truck would destroy your stock GT-R's and Vettes... :grin:

19. fchowd0311

Majority of high performance supercars are rwd only.

20. fchowd0311

Not sure on this...