1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Correct Poll] Battier or MadMax as the best wing defender in Rockets history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

?

Battier or MadMax

1. Shane

72 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Vernon

89 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People complaining that Mad Max would foul out due to the difference in eras... come on, man. Y'all seriously dumb enough to think Mad Max wouldn't adapt if he was playing in today's game? He might not have been the smartest, but he wasn't dumb either. Bev carries himself in a very similar manner of aggressive physical defense and has only fouled out a handful of times. Mad Max would feast on today's weak players.

cheke64 likes this.
  2. mightybosstone

I was a kid during those two Rockets' championships, so my experience with Maxwell is really limited. But I remember him as (and his reputation supports it) kind of a loose canon and not the smartest team player, whereas Battier always played excellent team defense and made the right play to help his team in any given moment.

Defensive stats are usually pretty tough to completely take at face value, so take this with a grain of salt, but the data certainly supports Battier over Maxwell:
    Battier's career: 35.3 DWS (high of 4.6), 1.9 DBPM, 105 DRtg, two All-Defensive 2nd teams
    Maxwell's career: 20.2 DWS (high of 3.5), -1.4 DBPM, 109 DRtg, zero All-Defensive teams

bulkatron likes this.
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Just in case anyone is curious:

Jordan lifetime head-to-head vs Maxwell:
    30.6 pts/gm 49.8 FG% 42.6 3pt% 4.6 ast/gm 2.5 TOV/gm

Kobe lifetime head-to-head vs Battier
    28.6 pts/gm 43.3 FG% 32.9 3pt% 5.0 ast/gm 3.2 TOV/gm

bulkatron likes this.
  4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

AK was a better player. Shane wasn’t the one guarding Boozer, who killed us. That team was basically a walking wall of skilled bigs. Shane and Max would both have trouble - they’re perimeter defenders, not post defenders. In that situation I would still take Shane

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'ma Mad Max fan. I did watch him play plenty. Though Max was definitely hit & miss, Battier more consistent.
    Then versatility, Maxwell could guard Jordan & Paxson/Armstrong. Battier could guard Jordan and Pippen. Thats in Battier's favor, and he coulda used his hands more then. In today's game Maxwell could keep up with the speedy pg's. Russell Westbrook is considered the intense gamer today, Maxwell would think thats pick-up ball intensity. I wont discredit Maxwell adapting to today's game, even though he was a handsy physical player, cuz he had the athleticism & tenacity to do it.

Max's best trait was you knew he had no fear of the best players that everyone else feared. I think Battier was just more dependable. And Battier underrated in the "stocks" stat, steals + blocks together. He actually did have a "tangible" stat there. So I go Battier by a hair.

6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Now Now we need to exclude the numbers on Mike and Max when Max was with the Sixers and San Antonio lol

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Kobe only had 2 good games out of 7 that series. The rest were mediocre to ok, taking 30 shots for 30 points kinda nights. He had the 7th worst "true shooting"% of the Lakers rotation players, if you're into that stat. There's a reason Rockets even went 7 games with no Yao & Mutombo (& McGrady)

Easy likes this.
  8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't keep track of who said what. Don't give a f*ck what Battier did for the Heat. I only care which former Rockets had the most impact to my team. Accept it and move on.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They played different types of defense.....and the type of defense that Max played essentially isn't allowed in the NBA anymore, or even when Battier played so that's why I give the nod to Shane....but the style of defense Max played was much more fun to watch.

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Congrats on the L

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

What a numbnut lmao

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

This. Mad Max was good, but this board is starting to approach the senile, good ol days were better no matter what age.

13. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Ariza >>> all those losers.