1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa Call-Up Warning Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Dankush

Dankush Member

The same Manny Machado who posted a near 7 WAR season and won a gold glove as a 20 year old before he had to get reconstructive surgery on his knee.

What a failure

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is a very good point as several here work under the notion that players are incapable of improving at the MLB level, and they should be mostly finished products upon promotion (which is somewhat true for some of the older prospects).

When, in fact, it is only upon promotion when they have access to the best coaches, the best analytical data, the best video equipment, and the best training equipment/nutritionists/facilities that all continue to help them refine their games.

Nobody is saying Correa is going to be an MVP candidate the second he puts on an Astro uniform (although that would be splendid)... but that doesn't mean he's at risk for a huge mental breakdown due to a promotion before he was 21.

The sooner he gets up here, the sooner he'll realize how much more work he needs to put in to continue to improve. Right now, he's just too good for the level he's at (which can sometimes promote bad habits, which is why Luhnow likely wants him moved to the next level as soon as he sees some more teams a second time).

#62 Nick, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

When is his super 2 deadline? Would it coincide with Jed's return close to the all star break?

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

FWIW... had the (unexpected) opportunity to spend some time with my old Astro contacts recently, and the word is "end of June." Correa has the entire organization absolutely giddy. They talk about him like he's a conquering hero. Luhnow's love has permeated.

5. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Hmm. If Lowrie comes back around the same time, that means that Correa would be taking Marwin's spot. Or we would have two utility guys as backup infielders, Marwin and Correa, and one less reliever. I guess they could try Marwin in Grossman's spot as well, not sure if Marwin has ever played outfield.

6. Buck Turgidson

The projected cutoff for players to achieve “Super Two” status this year will be two years, 140 days of Major League service time (commonly written as 2.140), according to Ryan Galla of CAA Baseball (Twitter link). Super Two status can have significant financial implications for teams and players, but before we delve into which players stand to benefit and which will be harmed by this year’s projected cutoff, here’s a quick refresher for those who have forgotten or are unfamiliar with the Super Two distinction.

The most common way for MLB players to become eligible for arbitration is simply to accrue three years of Major League service time. A full year of Major League service is defined as spending 172 days on a 25-man roster or on the Major League disabled list.

However, the top 22 percent of each year’s class of players with between two and three years of service time that also spend at least 86 days (half a year of MLB service) on a 25-man roster or on the Major League DL are also deemed eligible and referred to as “Super Two” players. These players will be eligible for arbitration prior to reaching their third year of service and commonly go through the arbitration process four times, as opposed to the standard three.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/projected-super-two-cutoff-5.html

So this year, if he misses the first 60+ days, he's safe.

7. Buck Turgidson

If Carter isn't showing any signs of a pulse before then, play Lowrie at 1b and let him spell Valbuena against tough LHP.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Right..or could Valbuena potentially move to 1B too?

Ultimately, Chris Carter shouldn't be blocking Correa's move to the big leagues. :grin:

9. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

That could be a solution as well. I was thinking before the season that if Carter wasn't working out, they would just pull up Singleton, who they're paying a lot of money for hanging out in the minors, so I suspect they're not thrilled keeping him down there. But Singleton hasn't exactly been lighting it up (at least on the diamond; sorry, couldn't resist).

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wonder how long their rope is with Carter? He is dead last among all MLB players (with at least 100 PAs) in hits and OPS; he has the 3rd worst OB% and 2nd worst SLG%. Guy is a giant black hole in that lineup right now.

(And having said all that - Andrew McCuthchen is the 8th-worst everyday plarer, by OPS - ie it IS early...)

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

I wouldn't worry about Carter his bat will come around it's to early in the season to give up on him.As for Correa he should have been called up when Jed got hurt.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa will not be coming up to be a backup and get only spot starts.

13. Buck Turgidson

I don't know that Lowrie has ever played 3B for an extended stretch. I do know that I really like Valbuena's glove at 3B.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If Marwin "starts sucking" is a weird statement...because it's a season, and guys will go through ups and downs. But if I didn't think Marwin was a good enough replacement anymore for some reason or if Lowrie's recovery got pushed back, then yes my position would change

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Racist.

1 person likes this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yes, the chemistry issue is silly--I shouldn't have included it.

But I do think the roster logjam needs to be considered. It's a confluence of all the factors specifically because none of the factors are 100% sure/true. If he's "probably ready" but there will "likely" be a roster logjam issue and the Super-2 issue is definitely an issue if the call up happens, then maybe altogether you err on the side of waiting.

I agree if he was "100% ready" then it's all a moot point. But no one is ever at that stage. And if he hasn't gone to AAA yet, you're even less sure about readiness, whatever that actually means.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Fat shaming, too.

:grin:

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow just said on the radio that Carlos Correa will move to AAA in the next week or two.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/596014405160083457">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Buck Turgidson

Pretty common for players being moved up to meet their new teams on the road when they're in the same area. Fresno has a roadie to Albuquerque and El Paso that ends on the 19th, before they go back home.

20. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">hear carlos correa could be in in majors within a couple/few weeks. very likely MLB's top prospect (seager, buxton next)</p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/596029519347249152">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>