1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa and his struggles... last 109 AB's : 174 AVG. 1 HR

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You do know WAR is a cumulative stat, right? And that Carlos Correa missed six weeks of the season and, thus, couldn't, you know, accumulate.

BigM and rdsgonzo13 like this.
  2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

RIGHT! It's a patently absurd notion to bench/platoon Correa or leave him off the playoff roster.

3. Major

Major Member

This simply isn't true. Belichick isn't benching Brady no matter how poorly he plays. Even benching Malcom Butler last Superbowl caused a huge rift in the team and, according to the book released this week, factored into Brady's being pissed and consdering retirement. What superstar did Popovich bench, and how did that play out for the team? I know he benched Parker/Leonard in the 2017 playoffs, and then the following season was a total trainwreck and led to the dismantling of the dynasty, with Parker/Leonard/Ginobili all bailing.

Slumping stars don't tend to get benched, and when they do, bad things tend to happen in the locker room, especially if you don't win.

4. CinematicFusion

You don't leave him off the playoff roster....however if he doesn't perform deep into the playoffs and others have a hot bat, it's not out of the question to bench him if he isn't producing.
    Is what it is.

....and I mean sit him for a game, get his head right, rest him if he is hurting. If Correa is in pain, you can't keep throwing him out there.
    Is he in pain still? Is that why they took him out the night before and didn't play him today?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They took him out of a game they were winning 7-0 Tuesday night to give Tucker an at bat. Had it been a close game, I'm pretty sure he would have hit.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have come to agree Correa will play in the playoffs unless it is deemed he is injured and cant.

Read the above again before you continue reading.

Ok. The context that the counter arguments should be seated in is whether he can help us or not. Defensively, slam dunk yes. Offensively?

Rather than focusing on Correa exclusively, lets see who else has been struggling in September.

Jake - .226
    Gattis - .295 (OPS) - Probably wont make the playoff roster.
    MM - .611
    McCann .614
    Reddick .680

So on an average evening, looks like three sub .700 OPS guys in the every day lineup.
    Reddick
    Correa
    McCann/MM (one of)

Sure, looking at just Sept. numbers doesn't tell the whole story. No amount of them can predict the future. But it looks to me we have 3 bats/positions to work around. It will be interesting to see how Hinch lines them up.

I suppose the biggest non answerable question is the playoff season itself. Every year, I get reminded of how the playoffs seem like a different season. Some guys elevate their game to new levels, some fold under the pressure. In any case, no matter how we slice and dice what our individual players has done in the past, what they will do in the playoffs is indeterminate. This is especially true in the case of Correa. All we can do is hope and pray and see what unfolds.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Correa played "poorly" before the injury.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  8. CinematicFusion

True....but they aren't taking him out because he is healthy....they are taking him out because he is hurt. Astros are doing anything and everything to hopefully make Correa right before the playoffs.

"Now, Hinch is less shy about acknowledging that Correa does not resemble the player who made the American League All-Star team last season.

“I mean, he’s not feeling great,” Hinch said before Wednesday’s finale against the Mariners. “It’s been a rough little stretch with him.”

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Correa's been too busy pounding his big breasted fiance and has forgot how to hit. He's needs to break up before the playoffs to get his head back into the game.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  10. bobrek

Sure... they try to give players a rest or break whenever they can. But, as I said, if it was a close game, they would have left him in.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Back issues suck. They mess with everything you do. Even if the pain isn't "that bad" it throws off your mechanics and your trust in your body. Look at at-bats early in the season vs now. His mechanics are all over the place because he's trying to compensate for a sore back. Even when it doesn't hurt anymore, your so afraid to re-tweak it, your mechanics are still thrown off.

It'll take an off-season to really get him right.

Kida, JeeberD and Houstunna like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. CinematicFusion

He is out for the weekend..... they took him out because he is hurt. I’m not sure he can recover in time for the playoffs.
    Back injuries are terrible. He will be better next season.....not sure about being better in two weeks.

14. bobrek

First, I am not denying he is hurting. That has been pretty obvious. What I am saying is that in that particular game, he would have not been pinch hit for if it was a close game, considering he was still on the field in the top half of the inning.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

16. theimpossibles1

Holy sh*t Carlos. Time to eat a massive plate of humble pie. Dude clearly got a big ego and now he won't make a proper adjustment. Sh*t has got to be embarassing at this point.

17. Buck Turgidson

He's hurt. He's out there as much as he can be.

Your post sucks and you should be embarrassed by it at this point? or other points? all the points?

BMoney, rockets1995 and BigM like this.
  18. theimpossibles1

Hurt or not, dude is suckin hard. Let a brother vent.

19. Buck Turgidson

Can I not vent too? Nothing personal.

All good!

BMoney and theimpossibles1 like this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

His hands are higher now when he was batting, hopefully it works. Carlos needs his quickness in his swing, undercut the ball to lift for a home run. He is always on top of the ball for Groundball double plays.