1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa and his back issues...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Oct 7, 2018.

1. plee

plee Member

similar to golfers, a bad back is not something to take lightly (see Tiger, Fred Couples, etc...) Surgery is the last option and even then it may not work, so it's usually therapy/rest/etc... If this is a lifelong issue then he'll have to be on "load" management, etc... There will be a team that will offer money but most will shy away from the "big" contract because of his back.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tulowitzki has long been a comp for Correa and it looks like his career may play out in a similar way. I don’t think Correa is a bad guy; he doesn’t talk **** and he has never gotten caught cheating or breaking the law. But he’s made some annoying gaffes in managing his career (mostly related to talking about how he has treated his injuries and how he has dealt publicly with his wife).

At this point like Tulo he is a potential 7 win player who can only be counted on for a third of that because of injuries. But Correa is still SO young I think there’s a little higher chance he can be productive over the next 2 seasons.

There are no readily available 4+ win SS/3B available; Toro/Diaz are 3 win ceiling guys who are more likely 1-2 win guys. But Bregman's ability at SS and the presence of Gurriel/Toro/Diaz/Straw being able to move around the infield means that they have the depth to stick with Correa and hope he plays well enough in 2021 to warrant a QO.

#142 Snake Diggit, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If Straw went nuts on the basepaths as a short stop could he be a 3 or 4 win guy?

4. PhiSlammaJamma

He would be a squirrel.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think so, especially if he was able to provide plus defense at short. But only 2 players posted 2.5+ fWAR with an ISO <.150 (David Fletcher and Amed Rosario), so an awful lot would have to go right.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. But he’s got the skill set to make that seem possible or “not completely improbable” at least. I’d be curious to see what the numbers would think of him as a full time SS.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Correa is heading to his salary arbitration years now, and the fact he isn't making huge dollars at this point might be the only reason the Astros keep him, but at some point if he can't stay on the field they are going to have to do something.

He has played 109, 110, and 75 games the last 3 years. Is that going to always be an issue or is it just bad luck.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Brokeback Correa.

11. HTown2017Champs

My ideal scenario: Trade him to Tampa, Willy Adames has been a solid SS, but only a 700-ish OPS and a TON of strikeouts. They take a chance on Correa for 2 years. We get Shane Baz and Jake Cronenworth in return.
    Baz is a Tomball native who'd get to come home, RHP prospect ranked 6th in the Rays system and #94 nationally. Loved him coming out of the 17 draft, and hometown kid. Let me dream. Likely enters the rotation in 2021.
    Cronenworth (17th in TB system) is a LHH-SS (who also pitches in the minors), excellent contact, decent power with potential for more, and while his glove is suspect he has a rocket arm, and has the potential to improve his fielding (he mostly pitched in college, and played primarily 2B in the minors before learning SS). Led the Int'l league in BA this past year, could be ready to plug in the lineup come 2020.
    Tampa, who can improve offensively, take a chance with Correa for 2 years. Easy upgrade if healthy, after 2 years superprospect Wander Franco can take over at SS. Added bonus: Who does Correa get to do a lot of damage against if he puts up good numbers (NYY and BOS :) )
    I know this is obviously unlikely, but thoughts? Do the Rays give up too much in this scenario? Or not enough?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Astros aren't trading Correa when his value is so down and Rays aren't paying 8 million for a guy that can't play half a season. 8 million is almost 10% of their payroll this year. Not happening.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like Tampa, Philly, and Atlanta as potential matches for a Correa trade. Tampa for Honeywell and Brujan. Putting him in Tampa has the added benefitted of hurting the Yankees.

Extend Gurriel 2 more years. Let Straw, Toro, and Diaz compete for the last everyday job.

Trade Reddick and prospects to KC for Sal Perez, Barlow, and Danny Duffy.

Resign Maldonado or Chirinos.

CF Springer
    SS Bregman
    LF Brantley
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    1B Gurriel
    RF Tucker
    3B Toro
    C Perez
    Bench: Diaz, Chirinos, Straw, Marisnick
    Rotation: Verlander, Greinke, Duffy, McCullers, Urquidy
    Bullpen: Devenski, Biagini, Abreu, James, Peacock, Barlow, Pressly, Osuna

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think you’re underestimating the Rays front office. If they have a chance to acquire an affordable elite talent without raiding their farm, they’ll do it. Of course they’ll scrutinize the medicals.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

THIS! Philly is the other team I see a good fit, but I like Tampa because of the bonus of hurting the Yankees and I like the potential return pieces better. I know the Astros aren’t the trading him (at least not this offseason) but we’re acknowledging that we’re playing pretend GM. It can still be fun to do even when it’s totally unrealistic.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Oh... we are playing fantasy GM. Fine, then Correa to the Reds for Luis Castillo.

I win.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Most people thought trading for Greinke was fantasy. Right up until it was announced.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ray's mentality is to only trade when it f#$&s over the other team. Astros aren't desperate enough to trade with the Rays.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

inspired by Cam, Correa admitted yesterday while smoking a pipe and drinking a glass of wine that he has been hiding the fact that he was in fact 100% when in the lineup, but said it didn't feel right, that "it wasn't Carlos", and so he wanted to get back down to 80% health before returning.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

this cycle of feeling good one day and hurt the very next has got to be a pain for the stros org.