1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YuleC, Jan 11, 2017.

1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Strange, I Chromecast mine using a Galaxy S7, and the stream is seamless. I agree that when the service first came out it was unreliable, but lately it's been fine.

I just wish they would fix the issue I'm having with NBA TV getting blacked out. It's either they are lying about having the licenses or their ability to stream local channels accurately to the correct zipcodes needs to be fixed.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Yeah, but I can go with one of the other options and not have to sign a contract, correct? If I re-up with DirecTV, I'll be on the hook for another 2 years under contract.

3. fallenphoenix

DirectTV Now is month to month

4. what

what Member

It is a one year contract. But yeah the others don't have contracts.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Directv Now has been great for me on the apple tv I received with it. On my phone I get unlimited data to stream as I am with ATT. The only problem I have with it is the allowance of only 2 streams and watching on demand shows on my computer. They just seem to always freeze up.

6. dmoneybangbang

Reminded me of this:

ramotadab likes this.
  7. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I cut the cord 4 years ago and never looked back. Can't be happier. Get a HD antennae for all the local channels (one time cost of $20-$30), Netflix/Hulu/Prime (pick just 1 for about $10/mo), and if you want get something like the basic SlingTV (includes ESPN) or Playstation Vue package. Your monthly fee for TV should be no more than $40. You can stream all NBA games for free on your computer if you go to Reddit. No need for LeaguePass. Totally worth it.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Any suggestions for streaming news channels (CNN, Fox News)? In-laws are cutting cable but can get them HD antennae for local and already using Netflix. Only other thing they really watch are news channels. Thanks in advance.

9. fallenphoenix

directv now has all those channels

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just get a Fire TV stick. That's all

gucci888 likes this.
  11. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

FYI here is the subreddit about ROOT Sports coming to DirectTV Now.

Not much discussion to date.

12. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I think SlingTV offers good news channels in its basic (Orange) package. You get CNN, BBC America, and some others. With HD antannae, you get a few others. I don't think you should watch Fox News. That stuff is even real news.

gucci888 likes this.
  13. what

what Member

if you want to watch crappy feeds, go with subreddit. Also, I mentioned that many people SAY they cord cut, but end up trying to get the same channels they had before which costs them a bundle. You decide to quote something that wasn't even what I was saying.

However, with streaming you have to pay for the internet, another $40 more, if you want to get technical. With direct tv you don't. Thus direct tv is cheaper and you don't have to sacrifice quality, in fact you can get 4k for free if you sign up today.

Again, any way you slice it cord cutting is not cheaper than satellite companies. That's a fantasy.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you really want to get technical, you also have to pay for power. And water. And rent/mortgage.

With traditional services, you have to pay settop box and DVR rental fees. Those add up quick.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dude, I own my mansion 100% outright - no mortgage. Plus 100% solar power. And I have my own water supply.
    And even though the government tries to tax my property I don't pay it.
    That's how I roll!!!!!

ramotadab and watashi315 like this.
  16. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Hey buddy, check this out. In today's age, you need to get the internet regardless of cord cutting. It's become an every day necessity for work and life. I don't see Internet as a "cord cutting cost". But if you want to argue what's cheaper, I can say that my package is very competitive price wise and I'm happy with it. It serves my need. Here's the math for me:

- HD antannea: ($20 one time fee - gets me 16 or so local channels and international stuff)
    - Netflix ($9.99/mo)
    - Verizon FIOS ($29/mo)
    - SlingTV ($20/mo for basic package)

Basically I'm paying a fixed expense of $30 a month for subscription service not including internet cost. I get HBO Go for free because my gf has an account. I stream NBA games on Reddit and the streams have been fantastic and at HD quality level. So if I hook my laptop up to my big screen TV, I can still watch a game with pretty good clarity. Does it get choppy every once in a while? Yes, but 99% of the time I'm happy with it and I save hundreds of dollars from subscribing to NBA League Pass. I'm happy with it and it serves my need.

So yes, $30 buck a month is what I've been paying for the last few years.

17. what

what Member

That looks like 60 dollars a month, and I would argue that the internet is NOT a necessity as it once was, because many people only connect to the internet with their phones. They don't even use computers anymore.

18. Cranberry_Juice

Not exactly cord cutting but :

Comcast 200 ( $49)
    Kodi Streaming ($0)
    Rockets reddit /Nbastreams ($0)

19. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I wish my internet was cheaper but its the only thing I really pay for:
    $85 200mbps Unlimited through Suddenlink(was $75 but they just raised the price and their the only game in town)
    $10 Netflix
    Free Prime & Hulu (share with friend)
    My parents still have a full cable package but use none of the streaming features so I use that for about everything else with my Roku
    If they ever cut their cord I would probably jump on Vue
    Stream the rockets on the computer if its not a national game and I'm not going to it.

I'm interested in trying the CBS streaming whenever they start doing Live TV for my area. Sometimes I am not home for the Texans and it would be nice to stream the game on my tablet. I believe its only $5.99 a month and I would only need it during football season.

Oh and I do HBOnow whenever Game of Thrones comes back. If they would make it $10 instead of $15 I would probably just keep it all year.

20. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Trying doing work on your phone. Good luck with that buddy! Find me three houses on your block that doesn't have internet and i'll give you $100. My $30 beats your expensive DirectTV. You're too salty to admit it LOL