1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Cops shoot and kill dog

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Now the city is going to end up spending a lot of money on lawyers and/or a settlement, bad publicity etc. Plus that cop is going to be in cross hairs of a lot of politicians plus friends and family. Is all that worth it to put some punk in jail for a few hours. That is probably what that guy wanted. He probably didn't expect his dog to get killed, but he was looking for the attention and potential lawsuit.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Why not let the owner handle the dog? Clearly, he had no problems being arrested as he didnt fight being handcuffed. So not like he was a risk to flee or anything. Officer freaked and just panicked.

3. markg

markg Member

Why couldn't he just taze the dog?

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree that this will probably become costly and messy, but I can't blame the
    cop's for what happened. I regret that the dog lost his life and had to suffer but
    the blame lies solely on the owner! The cops were forced to make a judgement
    call in a very tense situation, a situation that was amplified by this morons actions.

No disrespect to your viewpoint but in my opinion the cops did nothing wrong.

#64 BamBam, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I am in that camp, BamBam
    I don't know the county, the jurisdiction, or what the procedures are in that area, but I will assume that either he didn't have a tazer or it was not the closest thing he could reach for. Either way, that's not a situation where the dog should be involved. :eek:

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

When are you ever allowed to blare music and shout at police when a SWAT type situation is going on?

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

8. TheresTheDagger

I would be willing to be many of the folks posting here own large dogs.

So my question to you is this.

Do YOU take your large dog to active crime sites, turn the music up to blasting on your car, and start filming the site closer than any other person there?

I bet NONE of you have or would do this.

The owner is 100% to blame for his dog being dead.

I really feel sorry for the dog and I bet the cop feels awful too but he WAS justified in my mind. I also feel bad for those eyewitnesses who saw that (especially any children who were there).

The dog owner? I don't give a damn about his sorry butt.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Riiight..... so the officers should have immediately taken the man out of cuffs so he could control his dog? Mind you, the whole matter lasted mere seconds. No, unfortunately the cops acted appropriately. The cops did not know if the man was a danger, he had already interfered with the aprehension of an armed robber. The cops protected themselves and the dog owner. Had that dog taken a chunk out of the owner, while in cuffs, you can be guaranteed he would have sued the cops (he has 6 times so far...).

The whole thing is unfortunate, but the cops cannot afford to make absurd concessions.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The number of BAD Police officers in this country is STAGGERING. Many of these guys should not be allowed to be DOG CATCHERS. The cops overreacted. Why not approach the guy and tell him to turned down his music? He was not resisting. The police act like jack-booted thugs.

11. TheresTheDagger

They did ask him to turn down his music. Eyewitnesses have backed up this claim. He refused/ignored them.

12. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

If I was the cop, I would've shot it too. Self defense.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

From afar. How about walking towards him and talk to him face to face. They were being typical police assholes. Arrest first.....then try to justify.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dog was resisting.

15. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Did you want the cop to walk up to him and go "Pretty please with sugar on top turn down your music and stop shouting at us?" It was an ACTIVE crime scene of an armed robbery. Did you see some of the weapons the cops had? The guy was looking for a lawsuit and it ended up getting his dog killed. He got arrested for his own stupidity.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The dog was cool until they started arresting him and being aggressive towards him. How was the guy supposed to know they were going to slap the cuffs on him without even asking him any questions. The way they were coming at him, he didn't have time to secure his dog. If he started the car to close the windows it would have made things much worse. It is the officers job to tell him to do that before they slap the cuffs on him, search him, and put him inside the cop car.

How was the dog acting aggressively towards the cops before they acted aggressively with the owner?

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

worse... the dog was attacking.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

"The owner should have secured his dog."

STFU.

How do you guys know he didn't ask them if he could roll up his windows?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I watched the video. The dog didnt get a chance to attack. He just walked towards them.

20. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Poor dog, seriously. If a cop was at a scene like that without pepper spray, taser, or knife stick then the cop is an idiot. Any of those other methods could have have been used first or at least attempted. What was the cop trying to grab before he shot the poor dog? His mouth? Seriously? Of course the dog is going to go after him. Its not like the dog jumped out the car and immediately starting biting the cops. The dog was hesitant at first. Just crazy. I know nothing is gonna happen to the poor poor cops. They shot that dog 4 times. They wanted to kill that dog. You can tell they didn't give a damn, just watching the dogs legs kick, gun stil pointed. I guess that part of their training...