1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cops shoot and kill dog

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 2, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The law of "We're the cops and can do what we want".

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

He was being a jackass hoodlum by blaring music next to a delicate situation.

It's his fault his dog is dead.

That said, you're an ******* if you say the man should have been shot instead. Have some respect

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

amazing generalizations there:rolleyes:

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Owner's fault completely but good lord that was hard to watch. The dog was trying to protect it's owner because it didn't understand what a moron he was and paid the price for it. Watching the dog squirm and hearing the guy scream for his dog made me cringe. Dog deserved a better owner.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Disobeying an officer, disturbing the peace, probably some others. He was given clear instructions many times. He did not comply. :eek:

[​IMG]

#45 SwoLy-D, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't know man, it didnt look like he was attacking. It's not like the dog jumped out and went straight to attack them. It was sniffing around, even seemed a bit scared and yes it jumped, but dogs jump in a playful manner as well.

Owner put himself in that position but that was just brutal. Looked like a slow and painful death. Could have tried kicking the dog in its face first.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

One more thing, if you're going to shoot it, kill it and put it out of his misery. I mean, he just stands there, watching it suffer while pointing his gun.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Poor dog lost its life because of an idiot owner.

9. SwoLy-D

If they're jumping in a playful manner, they don't bark like this dog did when it lunged towards the officer. :cool:

Now I see that the officer was probably trying to get the leash, at which time the dog thought it was being threatened of its space, but the dog was not trying to be playful and it doesn't know that the gun means "back off."

STILL, it's the owner's fault. Unpredictable situation is predictable. :(

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think you can fault everyone involved. It didn't look like the dog was in a full out attack on the officer, but of course it is a heated situation where they are on edge already.

The real fault lies in the owner. I don't even think I'd take my dog out in a situation where police have assault rifles at the ready. Just seems dangerous for a person or animal. Add to that there was clearly enough space for the dog to get out of the car, he was at fault. As a dog owner, its your job to protect the animal because they normally can't (especially against human forces - cars, guns, etc.).

I wish I hadn't watched the video. I didn't think they would actually show the shots on the dog.

11. teknokid

teknokid Member

1. when did he disobey an officer?
    2. when did he disturb the peace?
    3. what probably some others?
    4. when was he given a clear instruction?
    5. when did he not comply?

Did you watch the video?

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

all this happening and this playing in the background...

"Tell me again (Tell me again, my baby),
    That we'll be Lovers and Friends (Ohh, it's a good look, baby)
    Tell me again (Make sho' you right, ohh, before we leave),
    That we'll be Lovers and Friends (Tell me over-and-over-and-over again)..."

13. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I'm not going to watch the videos, but don't cops carry pepper spray too? I've had to mace or pepper spray dogs in the past and that has always stopped aggressive dogs immediately. They even make pepper spray for bears!

I seem to hear about a lot of dogs get shot by police here in Austin and wonder why shooting the dog seems to be the first choice, instead of pepper spraying them.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Well I agree with you that he has the right to tape what was happening in the public domain but the more I read about this case, the more my opinion changes. I would point out that there were other people taping the event and they were not arrested, and as far as I can tell, no one was telling them to stop taping.

The issue was that the cops could not hear their commands with an armed robbery in progress. The dog owners radio was extremely loud, you can tell from the recording. At that point, it isn't about the dog owner recording the event, it is about stopping an investigation.

Further, at least one eyewitness stated that he was asked to turn down his radio and he refused to do so. Now, having said that, I think that the cops could see that the dog owner was trying to start ****, and they took the bait. The cops body language was clear, they were not happy.

The dog did what a dog is supposed to do, defend his owner. However this is ALL on the owner. You have loud music, in a very tense environment. You then quickly put the dog in a car with the windows rolled down; knowing you are going to be frisked and are surprised the dog is confused and attempts to get out of the car?

The cops allowed the dog to lunge once, but by the second time, they shot. I cannot blame them. They are in a tense situation, there was a robbery, numerous people in the area, a man acting "odd", that is in the process of being handcuffed (they didn't know if he was involved or why he was acting as he did) and then a 100 pound dog with confused body language. What if the dog bit the owner? Would he be screaming they should of kept the dog from bitting him?

It was just a perfect storm, but 99.99% of the blame is on the owner

2 people like this.
  15. SwoLy-D

Any more questions, sir? :confused:

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

1. When he refused to turn the music down that was impeding their investigation

2. When he pulled up in his car blaring music so loud that it made it hard for him and others to hear the cops

3. The people that live all around, and the ones involved in the investigation

4. When the cops were yelling at him to turn his music down..over and over again

5. When he refused to turn the music down so the cops could continue their investigation

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...-Dog-While-Arresting-Its-Owner-213941491.html

Straight from the article........
    ^^^^^^

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Can't believe people are standing up for cops. These cops are going to cost the city a lot of money. They could have just let the owner handle the dog. Sometimes you just have to be smart about things.

Now Peta and all these other organization will be on them. The cop who shot the dog is going to be vilified and probably needs to watch his back.

Do these cops not think?

19. BamBam

Excellent points!...

20. BamBam

The video speaks for it self. Nothing would of happened if he went about
    his business or at the very least obeyed orders.