1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Copa America centennial-2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by K mf G, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Oh definitely agree he needs to win something, one thing with Argentina.

Maradona only won one thing with Argentina, 1 world cup and that was good enough to vault him into the greatest ever conversations.

2. ferrari77

The funny thing is that all the players that should keep their heads up and not throw out the retirement card are doing so....while the one player who should be hanging his head in shame and announcing his retirement(after THREE significant moments in the last THREE tournaments for Argentina, that would have helped his team win) is not doing so.

Sigh, Gonzalo Higuain.

3. ferrari77

Chile also has a federation that hired Bielsa the mad genius and then had a seamless transition in terms of playing style, cohesion, the overall identity of the team etc to Borghi, Sampaoli and now Pizzi. (All Argentinians as well. Maybe a hint for Gulati whenever Klinsmann does quit because we know the USSF will never fire Klinsmann).

The USA on the other hand have a federation and the president of said federation, in Jurgen Klinsmann's back pocket. They keep taking Klinsmann's word as gospel and letting him get away with saying rubbish about how it's on the players and they affect the game on the pitch, blah blah blah..while quality managers like Chile's, Italy's Antonio Conte, etc, are conducting tactical masterpieces with players that on paper aren't better from 1-11 than their opponents are.

That's a main difference.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There is possibly nothing more annoying in sports than when fans talk about winning championships like they're just handing them out. Particualrly a sport like soccer where you are so dependent on teammates. 3 straight finals losses is heartbreaking but to say he doesn't show in world matches is just flat out stupid. There's plenty of blame to go around in Argentina. He's easily the best player I've ever seen play and losing yesterday doesn't impact that at all.

if you think Ronaldo is better because Argentina lost in the finals, I'm not sure that logic makes any sense at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I remember back between Bradley and Klinsmann when Jose Pekerman was a possibility...of which I was dreading. Man was I wrong.

1 person likes this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Argentina FA and NT are in turmoil and I love it!!!

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No. I'm just reminding you that a TEAM wins a game, not one player. One player just contributes. Unfortunately, the contribution by that one everyone put up on a pedestal was a negative one. I never have a bad day.

Until he misses the entire GOAL on a kick like Messi did... yes, he IS better. :grin:

#627 SwoLy-D, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  8. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Thanks, but you don't have to remind me that it's a ****ing team game. On the contrary, I was trying to convey how he needs help in the NT, however, I see now all you want to do is argue for the sake of "being right". I get the aura about you now.
    Ciao.

9. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Where you been!? Refreshing to see someone knowledgeable in here and not the usual instigators (see above).

10. SwoLy-D

Are you on your knees in front of him? Might as well get it into your mouth. :rolleyes: He's already answered about 10 times in this thread.

11. ferrari77

Lol breh I may be one of the instigators :eek: :grin:
    Nah but just a ton of work keeping me from the threads. I didn't even get to create a girls of Copa America thread. I'm so "disappoint" in myself!:(

Anyway, the German brehs- Tizzle, Raz and ATW have been holding it down in the other footy threads tho.

I do need to step into the 2016/17 European Football thread and keep up with what's been happening this summer.

12. SwoLy-D

Without him, now... what? :eek:

13. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Seriously? Is that necessary?

14. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Not at all.. I don't mind conversing with people that are knowledgeable, others might be trying to fill some sort of void through the internet or something.

Breh, you're slacking... we needed that thread.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who are the new generation of strikers for Argentina?

Dyballa? Who else

Higuain should definitley play less

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA championship is every year.

Copa every 4 years (not this 100 century version) and WC every 4 years

every 2 years there is a major tournament

You could play until players are 37-40 years when minutes are divided right

Seen with Duncan and Mutombo

In soccer you are declining and maybe a shell of your former self by age 34 or 35.

Soccer players do have less opportunities than NBA players to win something BIG.

Plus they are commited on club level whereas someone like Lebron cares only about national titles (word championships) and the Olympics

He does not care that much about Basketball World championships or WC.

17. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Okay I'll take the bait on this crap. Did you even watch the games, Maradona was instrumental in making Argentina what it was. You might want to realize that you only play 2-3 world cup in your youthful years. 50% or 33.3% ain't too shabby buddy as a win percentage.

Messi on the other hand goes missing with Argentina, you don't even know if he's playing at times. That's terrible. Messi is a boss and I love the guy, he;s the best when he plays on a boss team that caters to all his skills, nobody has been better given this. However, at the national level his limitations are exposed. The greatest in my opinion are able to overcome this.

18. smr6

smr6 Member

Dyballa and Angel Correa of Atletico are the 2 that come to mind for me.

19. SwoLy-D

Or maybe NOT at all.
    Lionel should know he's the one blowing the chances:

https://www.facebook.com/soccerissue/videos/1200425413341245/ *you might have to be logged in to your Facebook account to watch*

All 3 incredible misses by HiguaĆ­n in the last 3 years' finals - 2014 World Cup, 2015 and 2016 Copa America :eek:

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

a lot of national team exits after the Euro as well

seems to be the cool thing to do now