1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cool Story Bro w/ Pics Post] Interview with Jerry Colangelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by risemeyer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

Hey everyone,
    Jerry Colangelo came to ASU to speak on tuesday and he had a little Q&A session after his lecture. I asked him a pretty specific question on the future of the NBA, he seemed to take note of how into detail i got, after the lecture he approached me and we got into talking. Some main points about our conversation that would be relevant here.

On Yao Mings HOF case: (Colangelo sits on the committee for induction of HOF'ers) "I think Yao will make the HOF,not for just his game but for the fact that he created bridges between an entire continent and the NBA,the question is when?, i feel like it will take a few years for people to realize how giant of bridge was built because of him and his contributions to the game"

On all star weekend in Houston: "It will be great to be back in Houston, the last time All Star Weekend was here, it was a treat! Tracy (McGrady) played incredibly well and i vividly remember the boo's fans were giving after Lebron was getting the MVP Trophy,Houston is always so hospitable!"

On James Harden and the Olympic team (he is the President/Chair of Mens Basketball Olympic team): "well first of all, you must be glad to see a Houston Rocket be on the olympic team after a long absence! James is a great player, the way he can control his body and drive into the rim is second to none, we are happy to have him and are looking forward to inviting him for the 2016 olympic tryouts!"

On the Houston Rockets : "The team is great, Morey is a great captain for his ship, i see him as the creator and "face" of the new type of GM's. Lin,Harden and Parsons is a great combination, but let me tell you, Omer Asik...that guy is the most under-rated player on that team, i saw him play while he was in the Bulls,and i am really happy to see him get the minutes he deserve. I see the Rockets finishing 6-8th seed, but i honestly see Houston passing the first round no matter who they play (other than OKC and LAC). They are so high paced, i dont think any other team except for OKC and LAC could keep up. Id like to say 3-4 more years or 1-2 more years and 1 more key player and the Rockets will make noise in the playoffs"

That was pretty much everything related to the Rockets, if you want to know more or have questions i can answer those.
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What does he think of the idiot GM of the Raptors? :)

3. sew

sew Member

4. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

hahahaha! he said his son hadn't been sleeping much (this was back on tuesday)

5. Vienna Calling

Cool, thanks for sharing!

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Really cool post thanks for sharing. Agree on the Omer Asik part. So underrated. Great to see that he likes our roster & thinks we can get past the first round.

7. andersongo

andersongo Member

Should I give props to B.C? "Shudder"

8. conquistador#11

Does he know that Kyle lowry is from west philly born and raised and not catania, italy?

( i liked the interview. no audio? )

9. andersongo

andersongo Member

Oh, wrong Colangelo:eek: LOL. He did sound a bit too intelligent.

10. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

No audio sorry! But we got into details about Stern,Silver and Hunter a little bit, as well as talking about selling the Suns. ( he sold it for 12 times the amount from when he bought it)

11. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

It's a shame Omer Asik isn't 6'8 and can't stretch the floor with a jump-shot, therefore he's useless in 4th quarters.

12. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

which one is you

2 people like this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What were his thoughts on the 3-headed monster (Stern, Silver, and his minions)?

14. mirus

mirus Member

Anything else he said about Suns?(Suns fan here btw;))

Great to read these,thanks for sharing:)

15. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Cool story bro.

16. Carl Herrera

Yeah, I wonder what he thinks of Sarver handling of that team.

17. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

He said its been a painful year for him, its basically been his baby and to see it come to this hurts him. He thinks the team isnt being ran to what he made it to be and that a true NBA fan should run it not for solely money purposes. He likes Goran, however he believes the system they are running at US Airways Arena doesn't suit him, he actually mentioned that Goran may have regretted his choice of going to PHX.

1 person likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

We can use a better 3rd guard than Toney Douglas... Just saying.

19. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

He said no matter what the past 2 years have been like, Stern will likely go down as the most influential commissioner in sports History. He also mentioned that Silver will add a completely new dimension to the sport and that he is ecstatic to see what he will bring,HOWEVER he is looking forward to generation's x and y (people born from 1988-1997) takeover of the sports, he believes there innovation will make the league blossom like never before with the creativity they posses.

20. mirus

mirus Member

Thanks a lot.Agreed on every word he said.For a fan its painful enough. Love Goran but we do really need to tank .I feel sorry for him sometime :(.

Back to topic love how he gave some recognition to Asik:p