1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cooking Opinion] Grilling Steaks, What Level of Done-ness Do You Like and Why???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nick_713, Jun 12, 2015.

?

What level of done-ness do you like your grilled steak???

1. Rare

15 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Medium-Rare

85 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Medium

42 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Medium-Well

24 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Well-Done

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

It's summer time, and it's grilling time. I wanted to ask my fellow ClutchFans here in The Hangout, when cooking that steak on the grill, what level of "done-ness" do you like and why? I know different people have different preferences: rare, medium-rare, medium, medium-well and well-done, with regards to the juices that are remaining at certain levels.

I've personally always gone the well-done route, because I always had doubts about eating meat that wasn't fully cooked. But this summer, I am willing to try cooking to just medium-well or even going to medium (my dad's favorite) because I'd like to try something new, and to see what I've really missed.

Does anybody have some good ideas as to how I can try to cook my steak at a lower level of done-ness and not worry about getting sick do to beef not fully cooked through. I've heard that the methods and standards beef is handled is much safer than in the past and reduced reports of food-borne illnesses.

Any hints, tips, ideas are all welcome and fully appreciated!

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Medium Rare, because apparently that's how steaks are supposed to be cooked. I used to get my steaks well done when I was a kid, but have found them much more tender and enjoyable at medium to medium rare

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

I like it blue

As long as the exposed areas are cooked/seared it should be fine

4. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Medium-rare, anything more is a crime.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Medium rare is the only answer, can't believe anybody would like it another way.

Having said that if it came down to under cooked, or well done, I'll take undercooked all day. A well done steak is completely ruined IMO.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

well done steak?

I just threw up in my mouth

7. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

But doesn't the pink make it cold though? Obvious novice question, I know.

8. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I prefer my steak well-hung.

9. flipmode

flipmode Member

remember that color of meat doesn't necessarily always match temperature. it's the oxidation that turns it brown. and when the interior juices get cooked out, air comes in and the chemical reactions take place to turn it brown.

it is perfectly safe to eat medium rare meat at or around 140 degrees (and the best way).

foolproof steak:

need: cast iron or grill, thermometer, kosher salt, good meat.

1) BUY GOOD STEAK. ribeye. something with a good amount of marbly fat in it. not crap fat like the edge bands. IT MUST BE THICK. don't bother with 1/2" and smaller. on a budget, just get a smaller portion, but make sure it's thick!

2) take it out of the fridge at least 30 min before cooking.

3) right before cooking, salt it WELL. ONLY KOSHER OR SEA SALT. no iodized salt. it tastes funny and it's the wrong kind of coverage. if you think you've done enough salt, put a little more on. the #1 thing chefs always say is that home cooks don't salt their food enough.

4) preheat your oven or toaster oven to 300.

5) torch that thing on the skillet/grill as hot as you can. try to get it to crust. if after 5-7 min it doesn't crust up, just give up and flip it. try to get hotter next time. try to crust up the other side too. this sear is not about "sealing juices" - it's trying to get a crusty texture sear. there is no such thing as sealing juices. NO SUCH THING.

6) after 5 min on the other side, pull it off and take the temp. i recommend this: (http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-P...153331&sr=8-2&keywords=quick+read+thermometer). if it's not 145 already, stick it in the oven and wait 5 min. take the temp again.

7) once the meat gets to around 140, shut off the oven, pull it out, and let it sit for 3-4 min. the temp will rise a bit to 145ish, killing bacteria, and then will "rest" to relax it. you just shocked the proteins by all that heat... let it relax, redistribute the salt, and soften up.

8) taste enlightenment.

2 people like this.
  10. Asian Sensation

Like Beyoncé.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This.

A lot of people just don't know any better.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Medium. Anything rare is a little too undercooked for me.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Medium medium rare

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Pink no, red yes. that's why I like medium. It's not cold and it's not overcooked.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I like mine well done and a little burnt.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I used to do medium rare until I had a steak at Chedders. I still almost throw up thinking about that steak.

Not all steaks and cuts are created equal. You have to experiment on what you like. And ignore others on what they call the perfect steak. Personally, I hate fat, so I am not a big fan of heavily marbled Ribeyes.

If you have to put A1 or Ketchup on a steak, you're wasting your money. Its like pouring out a fine wine and filling the bottle with Bud Light.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Medium rare plus.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

19. Buck Turgidson

rare-medium rare, depending on the cut

You don't really have to worry about undercooked meat (non-poultry/fish) when it's a muscle cut (any steak or loin) and a quality fresh product. You run into problems with ground meat, because any bacteria on the outside of the meat gets mixed into the inside and has a chance to multiply. Always buy fresh ground meat, like ground that day fresh, and cook it the same day or next. This is why many places will not sell you a hamburger that's anything but medium-well or well done, which sucks.

20. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Damn Space Ghost, I'm sorry to hear about that. It's experiences like that, that make me very skeptical about going the medium-rare direction.

I understand what you mean about preference as far as my favorite cut, I love Ribeye as my choice. I don't mind the fat, but I understand why many don't like it. I really don't prefer NY Strip (too tough for me personally), but many of my peeps will swear by it until the end of time.

I started with the A1, but with my confidence growing in how I season it (just kosher salt and black pepper, but sometimes I put some garlic powder as well), I've moved away from sauces altogether.