1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Converting VHS to DVD Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsfan34, Jul 6, 2005.

1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I help out for a football team and and had the idea to digitize things, instead of using vhs for opponent game film.

For example, they have a bunch of opponent defense clips of the past 3 games on a tape. One after another, etc. (60 in row).

Converting from VHS to DVD questions:

1. How can I convert the vhs to a DVD where its like each play is a chapter of a DVD. What software/hardware would I need?

2. If I managed to convert the vhs to a digital media file like windows media player (direct copy of the whole video so it becomes like a big video file), what software would I need to breakup that big file to 60 chapters?

3. Can I play a media clip from :20 to 1:20 if I knew like the timestamp of the play in the big media file on the computer? Then maybe I don't need to break things up into chapters or individual small files.

Thanks for your help.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the answer to your question is yes.

first, you will need a capture card(Im sure you realize that), then you capture the video into a mpeg2(dvd compatible) format(720x480/~8000bitrate)...then you import the resulting video into your DVD authoring program, and set the chapter points where you want them. The time-intensive part is building the menus so that you can choose which one you want from the submenu.

I prefer Adobe Encore DVD for authoring...very flexible...takes a little time getting used to how it works...but Ive created tons of DVDs from tapes,and the result was great looking...and youcan burn directly from inside the app..

3. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

R2K, what's your recommendation to use for the actual converting/capturing from VCR? I have tried a couple of programs with varying success, but never got them to work really well.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I have had zero problems with the stock ATI capture mechanism(I use a ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon), but if you read around it seems some think it crap.

Ive been using it for almost two years now with very little problems...but I only capture mpeg2 so YMMV if you do other formats.

6. droxford

droxford Member

Ya know....

You could just use a tv-top recorder that's a VHS/DVD combo unit and it would be a LOT easier. Look for one that lets you manually assign chapters while you're recording.

The Lite-On LVC-9006 gets good reviews, but I don't know if it allows you manually add chapters.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I have hacked around with these three softwares: uLead DVD MovieFactory, uLead DVD Workshop (see www.uleadsystems.com) , Roxio DVD Builder (comes with Roxio suite). These are all relatively cheaper than Adobe Premiere.

In a DVD, you have Titles, then Chapters, then Frames, just like in a sound CD you have Titles, then Tracks, then Seconds per track. The difference between a TITLE and a CHAPTER is that you can't fast-forward or skip to the next TITLE unless you get out of that title or go to the main menu. You want to organize your chapters so that all related material is in one title under the main menu, or you may have different menus in the MAIN menu. (WOA, that's a lot of DVD jargon)

You'd basically have to do these 3 steps in either one of the programs:
    1. record all the plays into one huge AVI file
    2. import it into the editor section of the software - some will even allow you to automatically make chapters
    3. make Chapter Stops whenever a play begins so that the software knows you want a chapter there
    4. preview the title
    5. record to an .iso IMAGE file first for later access, then
    6. record the image to the DVD you want (you don't want to directly do the DVD so you don't end up with coasters with the unwanted recording)

Here is something to work with... I did this one from my VHS to DVD already (against NBA rules)... Double Clutch... I used the Intel WebCam Pro that allows video input, an 800 mhz computer (hence the jumpy video), 384 mb of Ram... not bad, I think.

I make most of my family's 8mm Hi-8 CamCorder stuff into a DVD. Care to see more? :D

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yea...thats all and nice Swoly...but the DVD rip has already appeared online..guranteed to be much higher quality. :p

9. droxford

droxford Member

Using a computer to capture, convert/encode, author and burn is certainly a very powerful way of doing things (it's what I do).

But the VHS/DVD combo unit is a much faster, easier and cheaper solution for simple purposes.

10. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

The link Faos gave above lists several options for you. You either use
    1) Your PC, a capture card, s/w program.
    You need a fairly fast PC, good s/w prog (some don't work as well as other).
    I must not have done something not so well and had a lot of problems with this method. I did create some DVDs but it either tied up my PC too long or sometimes the program froze, I had to start all over many times.
    I gave up on this option.
    2) Use a DVD recorder.
    For less than $200. Mine has DV, composite and S-video input. You can plug anything into it to do the transfer, a VCR, a DVD player, a camcorder, a TV.
    It works just like a VCR, anyone can use it. You don't need a PC. Mine is the simplest model but you can make chapters of any length. (When you start the recording, it writes to a new chapter, if you pause recording and unpause, it writes to the same chapter. If you stop recording and start again, you create new chapter)
    I recorded tons of Rockets' games. Transfered all my VCR. Copied other DVDs. Worked great.

11. SwoLy-D

Dude, it's NOT on DVD... is it? :confused: If it is not, then how did someone rip it? Or do you mean they ALREADY made it into a DVD? Man, I made my own menus, main menus, and stuff... :( did I waste my time?

I am looking for a faster machine to do the conversion now... my 800 mhz is dying... slowly... I bought that baby in 2000 and we've had a GREAT 5 years... :(

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

On a somewhat related note...

..to copy dvd to dvd what do i need? Looking to buy a new machine, and some have dual drives, some have one. And that whole copyright thing! Not that i'm out to pirate movies....but on occasion i wouldn't mind making a quick copy of a rental so i can watch it on my time when the household craziness doesn't mesh with the rental company's due dates.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yes...it is on Disc 4(or is it 3?) of the NBA 25 Years of Champions DVD boxset.

both of the Rockets finals vids are on there..

bnb,

DVD Shrink is easiest one I have used to backup my dvds....When my kid gets a DVD, I copy it with DVD Shrink and she uses the copy so that when she inevitably messes it up...we still have the original one safe.

DVD Decrypter is also used by some...but it isnt as easy for straight backups as the other one.

14. SwoLy-D

You didn't answer me if I wasted my time or not. ;)

So you want MY COPY? ;) I know it's against the rules, hence the winker smiley.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

16. SwoLy-D

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Huge bump....I've got some old vacation 8mm tapes that I had transfered to VHS back then.....now i want to put them on a CD, from either source. Is there anything better out there now that i can download to get this done? Thanks, in advance.

I found this, but i dont know if it's any good, anyone familiar with it?

http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/index.html

18. SwoLy-D

I think Walgreens or VCS will do it for about 20 bucks per 8MM. :eek: