1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Controversial} Are white players overpaid?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 10, 2014.

?

In general are white players overpaid?

1. Yes

81 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Hard to say if white playas are overpaid but whites hoes are.

rockpileindisma likes this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think white players get more media attention if they are good.

Regarding getting GH and CP getting ridiculous deals this year, it has more to do with situations and talent than skin color. Utah will have to match because they can't lure free agents and Cuban wanted to ***** us (which he did). I think both of those players are certainly overpaid now.

You can't really compare those two to Stephenson...who has a ton of perceived issues (hence the lowball offer from Indiana and no other serious offers as of yet).

Lowry is a very good point guard who had 1.5 fantastic seasons in a 7-8 year career. $12m isn't bad for that...

3. BinBinRingRing

Truth is bald players are usually under paid cause their hair does not standout on the court therefore get less recognition. Some common techniques they use to counter this situation are head bands, arm bands, tatoos, sleeves, big beards, masks and etc. Dwight without headband feels less exciting to watch, simple as that.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Well I am happy that you see they are not overpaid. But saying they are picked higher because of the skin color is just as dumb.
    There are many examples of White players getting picked liwer than they should have been: Parsons, Ginobilli, Marc Gasol, Nikolai Pekovic, Buddinger, plumlee brothers (most of these were drafted as low because they were european, but that just shows that skin color is not the most important one).

And there are many examples of black players (what is the political correct term?) being draft to high. Kwame Brown, Hasheem Thabeet, Stromile Swift, Thomas Robinson and look in about every draft you will find a couple black players who are drafted to high.

Some people get drafted to high others to low, I do not believe skin color is the factor that determines this.

No ofcourse not that doesn't fit the narative of the op:rolleyes:

This is an idiotic thread (I think it is unbelievable that about 50% agree with the op). If you see racism here it is because you ignore half the facts and only lok at examples that fit your narative.:rolleyes:

5. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

/thread

6. James88

James88 Member

Besides the fact that white people are paid more for equal qualification, there's another interesting effect which deals with race and income or attention.

One thing to note is that American whites are a minority in the NBA. The ratio of American white fans to American white NBA players is much higher than respectively for blacks. So each individual American white player may receive a bump.

This phenomenon also applies to Jeremy Lin. If there were 10 Asian-American players, then Lin wouldn't generate anywhere near the attention. We also see this effect with Tiger Woods in golf, Williams sisters in tennis, Enimem & Macklemore in rap, etc.

So we this interesting dynamic between race and economics in alot of areas.

7. jason330i

jason330i Member

everybody is pulling for the white guy...

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Aaron Gray's restructuring his contract for the max as we speak!

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Excellent commentary.

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

I don't mind white players being over paid, but I just don't want you posting pictures online with them. :p

I don't think race plays a part in the dumb contracts some NBA teams hand out to players.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But he doesn't blow in people's ears.

His antics are costing him millions.

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I wouldn’t use when players are drafted as an example. Parsons should have been drafted earlier. I’m black, and I believe a lot of “white” players have either been drafted late, or not drafted at all because they’re white.

Also, imo, Stephenson should be paid more than Parsons/Hayward. One of those two have never even made it to the playoffs, the other w/ two first round exits on a good team.

13. BasketballMind

I don’t think they got the max because they’re white. There were players signed before Parsons/Hayward that are way overpaid... and they’re black. It’s because of those “black” players that Hayward & Parsons got the max. Which is why they waited a while before agreeing to offer sheets.

Blame Avery Bradley... The black man.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I agree!

Signed,

Dirk Nowitzki

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

There a white players making pennies in the league too, just as here are joe Johnson's being over paid and lowrys being underpaid.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do owners and FO people have racial bias? Of course.

Does that result in overpaying white players? Don't think so. If anything, black players are usually stereotyped as better athletes than white players. So some black players get overpaid because they look more athletic and thus giving the impression of higher potential.

17. BasketballMind

White players aren’t overpaid, white players that can jump are.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They may have racial biases going in both directions. First, skepticism at the draft that a white player can succeed on the NBA level. And then, once he's proven that he can, overpayment to the Great White Hope so that your team can leverage one of the few successful white players in the league.

But, I don't think that's what is going on here. I think there were too many dollars chasing not enough free agents, and an RFA system that demands you pay big to win the contract.

What's more, I think Parsons benefits more from being really, really good-looking (where admittedly his race plays a part), and from being a very affable, outgoing, charismatic person than he does from being white. If he was white and ugly and shy, but the same player on the court, I don't think he'd get as much money.

19. -BB

-BB Member

Wow talk about trying to divide. Contracts offered are situational. CP and GH are getting paid because teams know they can't get the big FA's that are out there (Melo & Lebron) so they are willing to overpay on young talent to stay or become competitive. Who are the other 3s out there that are worth a damn? Now lets look at Lowry... Lowry is a victim of circumstance in that the teams that would be willing to or can pay him more are also in the running for other big name FAs. If Lowry would have been willing to just wait it out until the big dominoes fall, there would have been more teams vying for his services which would drive up his price.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

white privilege brehs