1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conte says "Book of Shadows" full of lies

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Icehouse, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Does Barry get a break now?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12080377/

Conte says new book ‘full of outright lies’
    BALCO founder out of prison after 4 months, says he'll 'provide evidence'

SAN MATEO, Calif. - BALCO founder Victor Conte insisted Thursday that he never gave performance-enhancing drugs to Barry Bonds and that a new book that makes those claims is “full of outright lies.”

Conte spoke to The Associated Press outside his San Mateo home hours after his release from prison, where he spent four months after pleading guilty to orchestrating an illegal steroids distribution scheme that allegedly involved many high-profile athletes, including Bonds.

Asked whether he gave Bonds performance-enhancing drugs, Conte said: “No, I did not.”

A new book, “Game of Shadows,” by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters, chronicles the founding of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative and details alleged extensive steroid use by Bonds and other baseball stars. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announced Thursday that former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will lead an investigation into the claims.

“I plan to provide evidence in the near future to prove that much of what is written in the book is untrue,” Conte told the AP. He declined to list specific inaccuracies or what evidence he would provide, but said the book is “about the character assassination of Barry Bonds and myself.”

“It’s my opinion that the two writers of the book have a disease called fabrication-itis,” Conte said, holding a copy of “Game of Shadows” as he stood on his front steps.

The book’s authors, Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, were on an airplane Thursday and not available for comment.

Lisa Johnson, a spokeswoman for Gotham Books, which published “Game of Shadows,” said: “Gotham Books stands by Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, and we stand by their research.”

“We stand by the reporting that Mark and Lance did throughout this story and in all the stories that were published in the paper,” Chronicle executive vice president and editor Phil Bronstein said. “And if and when Mr. Conte speaks further about this, I’m sure we’ll report about that as well.”

Conte was picked up by his family after his 5:30 a.m. release from Taft Correctional Institution, about 40 miles southwest of Bakersfield, according to spokeswoman Mandy Ruff.

About five hours later, Conte arrived at his green two-story house in San Mateo, about 20 miles south of San Francisco, in a white sports utility vehicle with darkened windows.

Wearing blue jeans, a red sweat shirt and a baseball cap, Conte said “it feels great” to be out of prison. He said prison was “like a men’s retreat,” during which he read, gave music lessons to fellow inmates, coached a sprinting team and participated in a debate about steroids.

Conte founded and managed the Burlingame-based BALCO, where the steroids were sold. He pleaded guilty to money laundering and a steroid distribution charge, and dozens of other charges were dropped as part of his plea deal.

Conte was sentenced in October to four months in prison and four months’ home confinement in a plea deal with federal prosecutors.

Baseball investigators could seek to interview Conte about steroid use in the game.

Bonds, who has denied using steroids, was the most prominent athlete linked to BALCO. He testified in December 2003 to the federal grand jury investigating the case but has not been charged with a crime.

Other baseball players linked to BALCO include New York Yankees stars Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield.

Olympic track and field stars Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery and former NFL player Bill Romanowski also were called to testify in front of the grand jury. No athletes were charged in the scheme.

Greg Anderson, Bonds’ personal trainer, was sentenced to three months behind bars and an additional three months of home confinement after pleading guilty to money laundering and a steroid distribution charge.

BALCO vice president James Valente was sentenced to three years’ probation, and track coach Remi Korchemny received a year of probation.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Glish21

Glish21 Member

No breaks for Barry, Conte is probably lying he did make steroids and other performance enhancers. Nobody believes anything he says

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

isnt the book of shadows the book from Evil Dead?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No
    HATRED means more the TRUTH, LACK OF EVIDENCE or anything

he guilty . . because they hate him

Rocket RIver

5. underoverup

underoverup Member

i'm not sure conte' makes any difference, but i still think that book is just a bunch of hearsay lies.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hope he does.

That, or people start showing the same indignation towards guys like McGwire, Sosa, et al. Had Barry kissed the media's ass like those two, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

everyone says bonds should sue if it is full of lies, but from what I understand its not always in the best interest to sue someone for libel, because your life becomes open to public record.

any lawyers care to clarify

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

i thought he did sue them. :confused:

9. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Pete Rose lied about betting. Look where he's at - out of the league and out of the hall of fame.

Wait 'till Mitchell comes out with the final report. If it becomes evident that Bonds lied, he shouldn't get a break, and Conte should get what's coming to him at that point as well, regardless of time served.

If he gets cleared, then yes, he gets a break.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he tried to stopped the book from coming out, he hasn't sued.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

broke the cardinal rule, its apples and oranges

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

oh ok, thanks.

13. Major

Major Member

Isn't this what everyone said about Juiced, until, as it turns out, quite a bit of apparently was true.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think it's the Necronomicon, though I haven't seen the first Evil Dead.

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Conte's covering for his buddies' ass. I hope he gets life that lying pos

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i think that's the necronomicon (man, that's a great word).

edit: oops, didn't read Oski's reply.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Perhaps if those guys were still actually playing baseball, it would be different.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

cheating is cheating.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Then baseball needs to call it the Barry Bonds investigation and not the steroid investigation.

It's scapegoating. It's ridiculous. It's too late. There's no subpoena power. We're left with an investigation where the investigator will have to beg people to come forward...and all the lawyers will tell their clients to shut up and say nothing. It's useless. And the commissioner sitting up there saying, "It's just not true that we turned a blind eye" is so disgusting I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

At this point, this investigation is being done solely to keep Bonds from breaking these records. Nevermind that if we strip away 73 we're left with 70 as the magic number...which is McGwire's. And if we strip that away we're left with 3 seasons over 61 by Sosa.

What a joke. Great job, Bud. You wait until the Thursday before Opening Day to open this bad boy up. Great work.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I concur ^^^^^