1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Console Wars Thread! PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U Fight!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Dec 22, 2013.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Should I then get a XB 360?

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

What Svpernaut said is correct for the most part, and this isn't the first time. The 360 wasn't really BC with the original Xbox either, due to differences in architecture. MS did write a software emulator that allowed for some games to be playable on 360, but it is pretty much the same situation. Only thing here is that it is more difficult to write a emulator for the 360 (or PS3). You don't really have to write something for EVERY game, but you do have to emulate the hardware. And emulating a tri-core 3.2 GHz CPU (or 1 3.2 GHz PPU and 7 3.2 GHz SPUs) isn't really that easy on 1.6-2 GHz Jaguar cores.

The CPUs are easier to work with, but they're not really THAT much better than the CPUs from last generation. Emulation usually requires a substantial increase in power in order to effectively emulate the target hardware (you needed some beefy PC hardware just to emulate the PS2's 300 MHz CPU/GPU).

The way games are being developed, you don't really need beefy CPUs anymore. Just something very power efficient and easy to use. x86 tools have been around for decades too, so you get the benefit of that. A lot of work is being offloaded to the GPUs.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Didn't they do that emulator thing when they release 32bit over 16 bit, and then later 64 bit over 32 bit OS?
    Anyways, backwards comparability should be a legal right. Let's make it happen.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not sure if you are smoking crack or what...but anyone that knows the XBox One or PS4 just came out shouldnt expect there to be more than 10 or so games so early in the launch period.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Not really. There is some kind of "compatibility" mode in the hardware I guess (x86-64 can accept either x86 or x86-64 instructions IIRC), but that can't really be done here.

This is somewhat related to why the Surface tablets with the ARM cores can't run all the apps you usually get with Windows.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So Sony is Great for doing the same thing?

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I do not know. I don't play games for awhile.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

When did I say that? Why did I buy a XB to begin with?

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

MS has sold almost as many units as the ps4 in the xb1, windows 8 has sold more licenses than the entire stock of OSX (every version summed together), office is basically a monopoly, what more do you want. That doesn't mean Sony and apple are failing either, but to say MS is failing and will fail seems a bit rash.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

This thread is so ****ing stupid. I said it in the PS4 thread...play what you want, who cares what other people think? If people want to discuss the sales of the consoles, who cares? Read it or don't. Just for the record I've had nothing but Xboxes for the past 2 generations. I now own a Wii U, a PS4, a Vita, and a sick gaming PC (I pray everyday that Steam OS is good enough that I can ditch Windows). Don't need/want an Xbox, and **** Microsoft. Theeeeeeee end.

11. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Thank you sir, its set up already.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn, that sucks...so during the current and most important generation, you made the wrong choice? :(

13. Christopher

Christopher Member

Wow, see EVERY big gaming site I read leading up to the console releases all said the al was smaller in terms of power. I'll put my hand up straight away and say that I don't know ANYTHING about the power of each console, just what I read.

I own an XBone, haven't played a PS4, but I'm the furthest thing from these idiots that pick a side and try to defend corporations.

Just on the Kinnect, I think it's great. Well worth the extra expense for me.

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

That is the interesting thing about all tech these days. There's so much power to use, it's now coming down to software upgrades.

15. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

the xbox 360 ****ted on the ps3 when it came to software. i mean the original x360 i got was completely different than the current software of the xbox 360. my ps3 looks exaclty the same and does exaclty the same as the original i bought. only part of the reason i chose xbox one.

will i get a ps4 later? of course. still, i think the xbox one is the way to go. better games, better multimedia, better sports. apparently the graphics aren't as good as the ps4, but having played 2k on my bros ps4 IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

What are you even babbling about.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Not falling for the bait. :) Very excited to play Destiny, Infamous: Second Son, and finally check out Uncharted, as well as all the other PlayStation franchises I've been missing out on. Going to play TitanFall on PC, and lots of Zelda/Mario. I'm quite happy.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes.
    it's cheap now, plus you can play street fighter online and the games are good and plenty.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But Halo...

20. likestohypeguy

Ha I didn't get why there had to be "wars" between buyers until I finally watched these episodes last night. But if true, why would this one be the last generation where there's room for multiple systems? If it was going to be like competing media formats or something, where there ends up being only one that everyone uses, why hasn't that happened yet through all these years.

I know it's just a cartoon- is everyone not fighting for their cause to avoid being left in obsolescence, and this is all just pride in brand loyalty like most fanboy wars?