1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Console Wars Thread! PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U Fight!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

the only real way to have a console war is where gamers on each network can play each other online across console networks, i.e. playstation network gamers vs. xbox one network gamers for the same game. lol

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Bought a Xbox one yesterday. Didn't even realize x360 games don't work on xbox one. I am going to return. WTH is MS thinking? Right now there are only around 15 to 20 titles, and none of them is appropriate for my 7 year old. Also the setup insists that I should have an live account, with clueless messages. Microsoft is going down, morons.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

PS4 is the same way. They both decided the advantages to changing architectures was worth losing backwards compatibility.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Backward compatibility, in some form, may be done with a firmware update on both consoles......

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I think it is pretty optimistic to think this is something that could be supported with a firmware update. By the time that could even be well done, this feature likely won't even be as big of a deal.

What's more likely IMO is that MS and Sony might have some tools to "easily" recompile games for PS4/XBO, and developers can use them to re-release them. Similar to the PS2/XBX HD remakes.

Sony is pushing for streaming of PS3 games (and other content), but until that is available and working well, I don't know how much stock to put into that. MS also has experimented with this (I assume if this took off for Sony, MS would implement something similar).

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Backwards compatibility simply isn't possible, as the Xbox 360 has a completely different hardware architecture as the Xbox One. The same goes for the PS3 and PS4.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 are basically PCs now, when the previous versions were highly specialized hardware running specialized software. They've abandoned that route, for the more traditional PC disguised as a console route. Their parts are "'almost" off the shelf PC parts that you could buy yourself.

The only way you could play PS3 games on a PS4 or Xbox 360 games on an Xbox One would be through emulation... and it would be a horrible experience. It would also take countless hours and millions of dollars to make it happen. Both Sony and Microsoft found that backwards compatibility wasn't used much on either the PS3 or Xbox 360, so it wasn't worth the time or investment to do so in the next generation.

Luckily, the Xbox One has an HDMI input - so you can actually play your Xbox 360, through your Xbox One if you so choose... for games like GTAV.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

How will this work?

8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Thanks for the link.

9. Svpernaut

Just plug your Xbox 360's output HDMI in to the input HDMI of the Xbox One. It would even work with a PS4, PS3, Wii or any other HDMI device.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/play-xbox-360-games-xbox/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/erNnd5jkQBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don't understand this argument. Not possible, or not feasible? They should put a big sign in Best Buy letting everyone know there are only 15 games available on Xbox One, be aware or something like that. Backwards incompatibility with MS own product never entered my mind. This is BS. This lounge thing, yeah, gee ... all they want is I pay $9.99 for that gold membership. All I want is a freaking console that just let me and my kid play the game and have some fun. Convoluted and unusable. I don't know about PS, but if it is the same way, both MS and Sony are shooting their feet.

11. Svpernaut

It is technologically possible but it isn't feasible. As you must write emulation software for each and every title. Do you know how many titles there are on Xbox One and PS3? About 1500 each I believe.

So, you'd have to have a team of engineers working years on it - and eventually they would hit games where it wouldn't be possible. They are using different hardware architectures, so it would be like trying to get your Nintendo to play Xbox games. Just because they share a name doesn't mean they are the same.

The Xbox One gives you a work-around with the HDMI input. The PS4 does not.

EDIT - And before you say "Well they shouldn't have changed it so much!," remember that is what the developers want. The developers wanted next-gen consoles to be more like PCs because it makes programming for them easier, and porting to them from the PC game much easier. Want great games? Keep your developers happy.

#91 Svpernaut, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  12. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am no game developer, but this architecture difficulty sounds like ...
    So you have whole bunch of Xbox 360 content probably using specific hardware functions provided by the XB 360 hardware. And the new XB one architecture is so drastic (sounds like a new OS or firmware that don't even bother providing hooks to 360 legacy calls) that they couldn't make it backward compatible before releasing it. In the words of Steve Jobs, this is nuts.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

That's why MS is failing, and will completely fail eventually.

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

Come on man, I know you're a Microsoft fanboy, but this is just pathetic.

There is nothing special about what you just showed, and in fact, it seems like a hassle. There's absolutely no point in doing this, and the title of the video is meant to mislead people into thinking you can insert 360 games into an xbox one and play that way.

Smh.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

BTW, Xbox 360, the you have Xbox 1. Is Gates pulling another mind trick on us? I will tell you that that guy is the smartest guys I have ever met, but could be out of touch with most of the folks.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if you want to play your 360 games, just play them on your 360???

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

The new consoles are using x86 chips. This isn't just an Xbox thing, this also applies to the PS4. They are making them basically mid-range gaming PCs now. It is easier for the devs to code for all 3 major platforms (Xbone, PS4, PC) because they are using the same architecture and that is x86, unlike last gen where all 3 had different architectures and devs had to code for each one specifically an/or port them to the other platforms.

In a nutshell, it's easier for the devs, in my opinion.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

I didn't have XB 360. As matter of fact, the last console I bought is a 10 year old original Xbox. I bought just dance for kids 2014 (X360 only) with XB one, not knowing they are not compatible. People at best buy didn't tell me either.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

As a matter of fact, I know AMD folks that work on the chips. Nice guys.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

Well, let's see. Launch titles have always been worthless so there is no point to get either right now.

Also given that all of the best and most unique games of the past generation were PS exclusives, while MS featured brown shooters one after another, I'm fairly confident that I'll be getting a PS4 in the future as well.

One thing I do hope MS has learned is not paying money for worthless timed jrpg exclusives in some hopeless attempt to sell to japan anymore like they tried with those early Japan developed exclusives for the 360 (blue dragon, lost odyssey, etc)