1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conservative homeowner arrested for shooting would-be thief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah but this flag was in the yard not in a shed

it was visible enough for him to shoot her accurtely 4 times, its visible enough for him to see it was just a flag

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If someone steals a blade of grass off your lawn, are they a criminal?

What if someone asks to see your 99 cent lighter, then turns around and runs away. Would you pull your gun out and shoot them. And then say, "Officer, I shot the criminal when they ran away with my bic lighter"

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I watched a guy run off with an old cooler from my front yard around a year ago.

I decided not to shoot him. Thing was moldy. But it had a better history in this country than a nazi flag.

4. Senator

Senator Member

Life isn't about what you deserve and don't deserve.. that's entitlement

A naive teen may want to play with a black bear, and run up to it, and lose his life in the process. He didn't deserve that, but his actions warranted it.

Focus on changing your actions instead of kneeling on a football field like other successful immigrants from all over the world do
    All these NAZI and KKK ppl with flags do not control anything other than payments on their harleys
    If you want to get rid of inequality, who do you think dominates the list of the wealthiest 1%?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/5-jews-make-forbes-list-of-top-10-wealthiest-americans/

You think they vote republican?

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lol. The Jews of course. You are a remarkably consistent bigot.

Patience and RayRay10 like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think police response time varies but it can be terrible. I agree a dog is a large responsibility and not for everyone. I also didn't mean for the dog to be an attack dog, simply to alert the owners if there were possible intruders around. Yes, the measures I mentioned don't stop a determined thief. The truth is that there isn't anything that will stop a determined thief. Yet, banks, credit unions, office buildings, tech giant office campuses etc. all use deterrents and most quite effectively.

I know legally people are allowed to do more to protect their possessions. Personally, I don't think anyone should use deadly force to protect possessions. I feel like possessions aren't worth that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Uneducated communist troll thinks Nazi means conservative... new title of this thread

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This I agree with...

The other BS...

I Don't

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

If a kid steals a Bike, a package or anything else on your property they are wrong for doing so.....

Does that warrant them being shot and killed.. NO!!!!

You guys are so fixated on the killing part that you're not understanding my post....

She was wrong for stealing the flag.. I'm not saying that it means she should have gotten shot...

So again they were both wrong.. I'm not saying that her stealing was equal to him shooting her... Stating they were both wrong..

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Very fine people.

RayRay10, KingCheetah and vlaurelio like this.
  11. vlaurelio

Nazi, Whte Power, KKK = Trump's base

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You would have absolutely no problem shooting and killing someone who was no threat to you or your family for stealing something less than $50 in value?

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Looks like the conversation passed me by. Just wanted to finish this though. Getting shot in the back isn't the only consequence a thief faces (nor should it really be one of them). They can get arrested. They can get killed as they enter. They can face the divine retribution of their God. They can suffer guilt and shame. They can get shot in the back illegally. I'm just proposing to remove one sliver of a range of consequences. Plus, there are other ways to secure your possessions aside from threats of consequences. You can secure your stuff with locks or cameras or dogs. You can buy insurance. All in all, removing permission to shoot a thief in the back as they run away does very little to reduce the deterrence to rob houses.

Patience, RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Well, now you're moving the goal posts. You still haven't answered any of my questions.
    Theft does make someone a criminal. Taking a blade of grass from one's property is probably closer to vandalism than actual theft, and doesn't meet the threshold for criminal charges in my opinion. I'm guessing you don't think porch pirates deserve justice?
    I understand your position. I think victims should be able to defend themselves and their property. We all know the police won't help.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Duncan McDonuts

I personally wouldn't. I don't own any firearms and fortunately haven't been victimized. I do my best with deterrents like setting up security cameras, locking away all my possessions, reinforcing entry ways. I'm also fortunate to be able to replace any lost possessions.

That doesn't mean I don't think others have the right to defend their property.

Corrosion and RayRay10 like this.
  16. vlaurelio

Where was the flag taken? from the yard right?

yard <> shed

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

yeah they can defend it but NOT by shooting someone in the back 4 times for something taken from the yard.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That argument seems to boil down to acceptable use of force. Using the Floyd case, for example, i see many people arguing that had he done nothing wrong, he would be alive.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Duncan McDonuts

It was taken from his property.
    How do you defend your property if the criminal can physically overpower and outrun the victim? Should the weak resign themselves to be victims forever? What is acceptable?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

from the yard specifically

the law is specific that's why he was arrested