1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conservative homeowner arrested for shooting would-be thief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what did your dad tell you about flying a nazi flag?

and what should be your reaction when you see one?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can tolerate a castle doctrine that protects lives. A thief in your home at night is a risk to your life because it is unpredictable what they might do if confronted. Once they're running away, you are not in danger anymore, you merely lost some stuff. That gives you the pure-play right of a homeowner to protect his possessions with deadly force with no threat to his safety. And I'm not okay at all with that. It is debatable, but in that debate I'm on the side of get rid of it.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Good luck with that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have a high regard for human life too - But I have a higher regard for the home owner to protect his property than I do regard for the life of a thief while committing that crime.

No question about it , you go creeping around someone's home after dark , you are taking your life in your hands.

Thats moving the goal posts.

Nope , stealing is stealing .... particularly late at night. The laws favor the home owner.

I have a suspicion that many people would flip the script if it was their **** being stolen or if the item in question weren't so offensive.

I should hope that I've raised them well enough not to steal and not to screw with a person who's obviously crazy to begin with.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You value greatly the life of said thief .... moreso than the rights of the home owner to protect his property. Its just stuff.

I get it , life is precious and that stuff can be replaced but ... what you are saying in all this is that the thief shouldn't face the consequences of his or her own actions.

That's empowering the lawless ...

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you have a higher regard for a flag than a human life, no need to deflect into this nebulous property protection, we know what that "property" is.

Great that answers that question.

No not everybody is gonna shoot somebody because a flag is being stolen, talk about moving goalpost.

DVauthrin likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The consequences should be a fine or minimal jail time, why should death even be thought of as a proper consequence?

Da **** dude.

Patience and DVauthrin like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The homeowner sounds like he is a horrible person but if OK laws are the same as Texas then what he did was legal. I remember the discussion around Joe Horn and it was established then that deadly force can be used to defend property. While the Horn case wasn't at night TX self-defense laws gives more leeway to at night.

I don't think this makes the homeowner someone to be admired or what he did morally right. Just because you can legally shoot someone to protect property doesn't mean it is right in every case. I certainly don't think shooting someone in the back who is stealing a flag, especially a Nazi flag, is right. That said anyone who were to publicly hang a Nazi flag probably doesn't have a high regard for life to begin with.

DVauthrin, Blatz and Corrosion like this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Context matters. Is this a "reasonable response" by the Nazi?

She didnt enter the home, he had no reasonable fear of bodily injury. It doesnt look like she even jumped a fence or walked past posted "no trespassing" signs. She was on his lawn taking something thar wouldnt qualify as grand theft. He shot her 3 times.

He better hope Corrosion is in the jury pool. Good luck playing "hide the Nazi" in a trial about the theft of a Nazi flag. Might as well be a pedophile shooting someone for stealing your kiddie p*rn.

#49 Ottomaton, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  10. Nook

Nook Member

If someone breaks into a home, with people inside....... they should reasonably expect to be shot and killed if the homeowner is in a position to do so.

There are different degrees...... but people that commit home invasion with people home are anticipating to use force if not flat out murder.

I don't think someone running down the street from a burglary should be shot....... however, within the home, especially if there is more than one intruder?

Where my wife's aunt lived in Chicago, there were groups of guys wearing face masks, armed and kicking in the door of home owners and robbing and in some case raping and killing the homeowners. a neighbor of hers shot 3 men that broke into his home..... with his car in the driveway. One on the stairs going downstairs towards the front door, another by the bedroom window and the third on the back porch...... the homeowner was never charged and I don't think they ever even seriously considered charges.... then again these were black kids from the Vice Lords street gang so I don't think the police or DA were that concerned about a proper investigation as at least two of them were linked to shootings in the past.

The neighbor had their home shot at a week later but other than that, there was no retribution. They were not shy about killing the intruders either and how at least one of them was breathing and twitching for a long period of time while investigators "secured" the area prior to allowing paramedics in.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

this nonsense is laughable

I’m not shooting and possibly killing someone for stealing an item from my front yard and running away

Why? Because I value human life and don’t want the death of somebody for stealing a replaceable item on my conscience.

#51 Reeko, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Patience, Nook and DVauthrin like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My original point was exactly that of your first paragraph. The legality of his act - In Texas.

I made no statement on the moral or ethical - other than to say the guy was obviously crazy to begin with - Someone to avoid.

Yeah , the guy's a jackass of epic proportions .... but my point was a legal one.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is like trying to kill someone for stealing the basketball u left in your driveway

lock this mofo up

Patience likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you forget you posted this?

You value greatly the life of said thief .... moreso than the rights of the home owner to protect his property.

How is that not making a statement of morality?

You were actually questioning what I value greater.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You can't let go of the item in question to view the law.

You steal , you can get dead as a result.

I don't care if it was a flag or a piece of hubba bubba or the gold plated rims on the impala sitting in the driveway.

When you creep around someone's home in the middle of the night - You take your life on the line.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude you are all over the place.

Nobody was creeping around anything.

It's very telling you keep creating a justification for this shooting and ignore the actual facts.

A piece of hubba bubba.

Really?

It's plain that you don't value human life.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Again not saying this is right
    This story is a real life version of one of those ethical dilemmas presented in legal and philosophical debates. I mean it starts off already following Godwin’s law.

I imagine the defense will be no matter how horrible of a person you might think Feaster is he acted within the bounds of the law. I presume OK is a castle doctrine state and its self-defense laws include defense of property. Even though the Nazi Flag is a hateful vile symbol it still is Feaster’s property and he shot the thief within the legal bounds of his home. Possession of kiddie p*rn is illegal but obviously since he’s been flying the flag Nazi paraphernalia isn’t so as far as the law is concerned this isn’t any different than any other personal property.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

castle doctrine laws vary state by state

"But, say that you interrupt someone who is running out of your house with your color TV set. That is a theft and you cannot use deadly force to stop a simple theft."

https://www.uslawshield.com/defend-my-property-oklahoma/

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That does sound like it will be hard for Feaster to defend and I admit to not knowing OK self defense law.

I was looking at it like TX laws where Joe Horn not only shot two people over property, he shot one in the back and it wasn’t even his property he was defending.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why was this man arrested? He was protecting his home from a criminal stealing something from his lawn -- this is outrageous.

vlaurelio likes this.