1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Connell High School player disgraces #34, fouls flagrantly

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RV6, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I did, he made a play for the ball. It looked like one of his flagrant fouls later in the vid except this time he did not hit anyone with his elbow. Watching in real-time makes it look more like a flagrant.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

#1 - Borderline flagrant - He went for the ball, pretty hard foul, but like some of said, his lack of skill/athleticism grays the issue

#2 - Definitely not flagrant- frustration foul, but not a very physical one

#3 - Definitely flagrant - tomahawk chop to the head, not even going for the ball

#4 - Borderline flagrant - two hands to the back while trying to cut through a pick; don't like how the smaller defender cut him off and gave him no place to go - looked worse because of the momentum of the big guy running into a smaller guy, aside from the 2 hand shove

#5 - Definitely flagrant - should have been thrown out at that point

#6 - Definitely not flagrant - that is your run of the mill over the back call

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

On the replay the ball is already on the other side of the player's body...the kid just swipes at the player's direction, not the ball...maybe its because he can't jump or play ball, but you don't attempt to block a shot by just swiping down. He didn't even reach for it first.

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

The problem is he so fat and the other kids are so weak they drop like flies. It was a clean hard foul but looks worse when players start dropping. Either way refs should have been doing something, this is only a school basketball game. Eventually one of this kids are going to injure their arm, most likely wrist area from those falls.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Doesn't matter if he's athletic or not. If his play is dangerous and can get someone hurt, he needs to be ejected. It doesn't need to have intent attached.

The first one merited a warning to the player.

The second was just a personal foul...but you maybe warn him to watch it.

The third (2nd hockey body check) was where the refs had cause to eject the center (assuming he had been warned early). If they didn't before, they needed to explicitly warn him and the coach that another foul like that would lead to his ejection.

The fourth could have been called as a flagrant, but there's room for leeway. If you think he had been looking for cheap shots earlier, then you call it flagrant and toss him.

The fifth should have been an automatic ejection, regardless of what happened prior. Pure and simple.

And I put a lot of this square on their coach. If those two can't play basketball and are just there to play hillbilly Lambeer BS, they either need to get set straight in practice or kicked off the team. Tomahawk chopping at the ball is something elementary school rec league coaches correct on day 1.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Nothing a parking lot confrontation couldnt fix

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Just look at how the kid moves. As the ball moves farther away he stretches farther to reach for it but he is aiming for the ball the whole time. Sure he doesn't have enough IQ to know that he wasn't gonna reach it but it is still HS ball and the kid isn't very good. If that was the only foul you saw you wouldn't even think it was flagrant.

8. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

No Layups.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As a guy who reffed for a few years, I would have kicked him to the curb. The refs could have controlled that by using their Ts.

DD

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

The call is either a personal foul or a flagrant foul. How would any of those be a technical? :eek:

11. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

If they feel like he is playing recklessly on purpose they can give him a technical and even eject him. These are still kids playing, their safety trumps all the textbook rules on what warrants a T and what doesn't

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

rofl oh god haha

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

He seemed like an offensive lineman that the football coach didn't want to balloon up to 450 during the offseason...so he (the coach) *made* the basketball coach play him for the exercise.

14. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

its nice that they did slow motion four times in a row because you really cant see the plays with these hd cameras. BTW, i count two flagrant fouls or two mailman fouls.

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

kevin mchale faints.

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I want to see him try that against Yates high school.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Officiating at high school basketball games is very often sorry. Last month, I went to a Travis vs. Bush game to see the Harrison twins (you'll be hearing about them in college) and Cameron Ridley (a UT commit). The refs let the Bush players continually foul, hit and hold both Harrisons the entire game. It was a total joke but Travis eventually blew the game open anyway. There easily could have been a fight.

It was so bad that one of the Bush players was allowed to push and hold Andrew Harrison (away from the ball) to the point he had trouble making it across the half-court line. This happened about 5-6 consecutive possessions. Everyone in the stands saw it and yelled but the refs refused to even look back. It was 4 on 5.

I understand in high school the refs always err on the side of letting them play, but enough is enough.

18. DaDakota

You warn both the player and his coach, that the next intentional foul will result in an ejection and a flagrent foul.

It is really not that hard, you just have to be consistent and honest.

DD

19. DaDakota

No, bad high school refs do that, but there are some good ones that will keep the peace and call a good game.

I have some friends that I reffed with that still do it, it is extra money, and pretty good money too....but most of them are just young kids in college etc just looking for a side job, and don't really care.

If you get good enough the Big 12 pays something like $1000 per game....so there is some decent money but most of the time starting out you get to ref 7th grade girls "B" team games and that is a whistle a second if you want it to be....UGH !

DD

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If i would have known at a younger age how much NBA refs make, i would have been studying the rule book day and night. I've rarely heard kids say they want to be refs, but its not a bad gig at all. For kids who love the sport and won't make a pro league, it would be the next best thing.