1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Confirmed] Chuck Hayes has 4 year, $20M offer from Sacramento

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yonizzel, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Rockets again being cheap, Chuck deserves more respect than this!

I can predict for a $1000 that there will be bring back Chuck threads following each game with a great PF / C who's now going to kick our ass. Expect getting blown out by Celtics, Jazz, Mavericks, Heat and every other team where Chuck used to shut the opponent down.

2. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

20 million is 20 million, but the sacramento kings? :eek: i wanna see chuck play for a contender instead. i guess its just all about pay day for now.

3. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Celtics are on a decline and Mavericks and Heat owned us last season. We need to get on that level and not waste money on 6 ft C/PF.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chuck is a role player. Of course they are going to work around an All-star caliber player like Nene and leave the scraps for last. If Chuck was an irreplaceable piece Morey would have gave him the money just like he did Scola.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For the record he made Scola wait on Bosh......this is typical Morey.

DD

6. StevieCrossover

Rick Adleman must really love the chuck wago. Hopefully the Rockets can retain him. Hometown favorite with his hard work.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

yeah but he didn't match an offer. First time He's actually made an offer to our RFA.

8. DaDakota

Scola's agent gave him details about New Jersey's offer and Morey had to answer that.

DD

9. DaDakota

Love Rick, and Chuck would be great for them in Minny....they already have starters at all 5 positions....and could use a superior defensive role player like Chuck.

DD

10. REEKO_HTOWN

You have no evidence of that.

11. DaDakota

Oh, I guess the offers just magically matched.

Come on Reek, really?

DD

12. REEKO_HTOWN

There was no offer sheet from the Nets.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/23201554
    Just tying to show facts here DD.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Assetizing sounds like something men do in prison.

14. BreakYoSelfFool

How is Nene an All Star caliber player? :confused:
    There would need to be at least 6 injured bigmen for Nene to make the allstar team in either conference and he still wouldnt be a starter.

In his 9 year career has he made any allstar teams? NO
    Has he ever been the best or even 2nd best player on his team? NO
    Has he ever been the best big man on his team? NO
    Before Carmelo was traded was he ever a top 3 player on his team? NO

Who is the last big man who made the all star game averaging under 7 rebs per game and under 1 block and under 15 pts a game?

15. DaDakota

There was an offer, they did not sign an offer SHEET, which would have forced Morey's hand.

They decided to use that as a framework for the Rockets offer which worked within their salary cap situation and made Luis happy.

DD

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Scola is a curious case in which he doesn't exactly revel in FA like some other players we've had. Lowry went out and tried to get the biggest offer. Landry did too. Scola was more content with a deal that was good and he gets to stay in a comfortable situation.

As much as Morey talks about how he doesn't resign players, he definitely has a number in mind with every player. This is obvious since he has to know if he'll match or not. So whatever this number was, Scola's eventual contract was either at that number or less than that. So for all practical purposes, Morey matched he figured was the market value, or perhaps less than that.

17. DaDakota

Maybe......Morey backed himself into a corner by saying he would match any offer.....

Because if he didn't, no one would believe him ever again.

I think they probably paid Scola more than they wanted to....just a guess though.

DD

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

6 injured big men? Who's your starter at C next year in the West? Pau Gasol? After that? "cricket noises"

I think Nene has a great shot at being an all-star next year if he's given 35ish minutes as opposed to 30.

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm not a huge NeNe fan, but

Isn't the All Star thing a popularity contest?

Really? I didn't even realize there were at least 6 decent Centers in either conference. In the West you got Bynum and Marc Gasol at center. Maybe Timmy.

How many has Chuck made?

Who was better than him after the Melo trade?

Are you telling me that Birdman or the corpse of Kenyon Martin are better than Nene?

1st option:Melo 2nd option:Chauncey 3rd option: Nene

You're really obsessed with the all star game. Also, don't you think Nene's averages would go up if he played here? More minutes, more touches.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Morey's approach with restricted free agents is, hands down, the smartest one from a franchise point of view. It may not make players happy, but it has been financially smart for the Rockets.

Announce publicly you will match any offer sheet and offer nothing, which pisses off the player since the Rockets can offer the most and negotiating with them would take the least work/hassle. Morey forces the player to go out and get an offer sheet from a team that may or may not have cap room, may or may not get the player (since the Rockets can match) and will definitely have to wait, with their offer sheet tying up their money, for the Rockets to decide to match or not. It's very hard to get top dollar and every perk from another team under those conditions.

They did that with Landry (Bobcats) and Lowry (Cavs) and they got very good deals as a result. The only reason the Rockets signed Scola directly was because he was very close to a deal with his old Spanish team, Tau Vitoria.

Morey's approach gives him complete control in the NBA... but it backfires miserably if the player bolting to Europe is a real threat. In Scola's case, it was.